Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington

Re: Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

Postby greeny » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:11 pm

myredscimitar wrote:
Corky wrote:The left hand photo says Vauxhall Viva estate to me :lol: . But much better aesthetically than the round lights.

Back in the day I thought the Viva estate was the best looking mass market car around.

There was one with what I think was viva rear lights.
Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12
greeny
RSSOC Member

Postby AnotherTim » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Viva rear lights are really nice, but I think they offer way too much of a challenge to fit nicely. They also curve round, but the vertical curve is further skewed to offset top and bottom.

I'm surprised at how cheap the bare frames of E-Type jag lights are on ebay. But that would just look like you were trying to pass a Scim off as an e-type, so... no.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/112420426041?c ... 931&crdt=0
===
Proud owner of Scimitarweb's least popular topic thread.
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby Rev Light » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:18 pm

I used to have a kit car with chevette rear light clusters. Might be worth a look?
Rev Light

Postby AnotherTim » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Cheers Rev. I just had a quick google and I'm guessing they're the ones very similar to the Scim light cluster... long single piece rectangles.

If so... they're so similar to the Scim lights that it wouldn't be worth changing them. There's nothing at all wrong with my rear lights. They work fine, and I fixed them up a while ago with new gaskets and some invisible repairs (apart from one visible screw head which was there when I got the car).

So my intention isn't to replace with something similar but to change the look of the rear end and push back to the more classic look of the SE4 as opposed to the more angular look of the SE6.

The Viva lights discussion was a bit of a diversion that may have created the impression I'm looking for a like-for-like change.

:D
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby Pepe » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:58 am

I think the cinqs rear lights would not look to bad. Do the turn signalsreflectors bend around corner actually or not? I think they don't..

It would then look slightly like a Ford (aus) xb sedan :D aka mad max interceptor or persuit
1975 SE5a restoration link
Image Image
Pepe

Postby AnotherTim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:21 am

Pepe wrote:Do the turn signalsreflectors bend around corner actually or not? I think they don't..

It depends how you mean. Physically, the unit does bend around the corner, so that would need to be factored in to the way they were fitted and sat in the bodywork. In terms of their functionality they don't appear to actually illuminate at the sides in anything other than an ambient way.

I suspect that the angle and the curve radius of the Cinq's light clusters are sharper than the SE5's curves, so it could end up throwing up a lot of unexpected oddities. There's the curve radius, the overall angle of bend and the vertical skew on the angle that could all vary and all need to be matched up...leading to a potential mish-mash.

It's a nice idea but really I'm aiming for the slightly more classic look of round lights, but done in a way that makes them look like they belong rather than slapped in.
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby AnotherTim » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Is it just me, or has there been a bit of a shift in the usage of this site versus the Facebook group recently?. It feels like the traffic has slowed considerably here, and at the same time my Facebook feed seems to be increasingly crammed with Scimitar posts.
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby AJL Electronics » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Quantity v. Quality?
Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.
AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Postby AnotherTim » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:26 pm

Possibly. :D
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby Coupe' Racing » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Bit like Yahoo vs Scimitarweb a few years back
Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late
Coupe' Racing
RSSOC Member

Postby AnotherTim » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:02 pm

My comment has elicited two replies that contain the word 'versus'. Have I inadvertently stumbled upon a schism I wasn't previously aware of?

I've always assumed the club is the club, and the only difference between the FB users and the forum users was merely a matter of choice, with some overlapping of people posting in both places (none of whom I have successfully identified yet over on FB).
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby philhoward » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:31 pm

Sometimes it gets quiet on here - no rhyme or reason to it.

There are some cross posters - but it's basically two different platforms for online discussion. Some prefer the forum format, some FB. Some wouldn't go on Facebook if it was the last website around, but likewise some wouldn't be seen dead using a forum.
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby AnotherTim » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 pm

Issue 1: Oil Leak

Took the car out this afternoon. Had a good trundle round. Parked up on Sainsbury's car park for a while and did some emails. No dripping. Drove around a bit more, parked up at my buddy's house on a hill with the nose facing upwards (ideal conditions for a rear seal leak), stayed for an hour, came out... no leak.

What I have to assume therefore is that the oil was leaking out of the Harbottle Gundersprodget that the reversing light wires connect to... mainly because I ended up having a bit of a wrestle with that whilst under the car, and that ended up being the only thing I did have a genuine wrestle with, and now there's no oil dripping. So I'm putting two and two together, and I should also mention that we're having Falafel for supper tonight.

Issue 2: Doesn't like firing up on first turn of the key once warm or hot

Car fires up first time good as gold when cold. I just tickle the key and WHOOOOMPF / ROAR / HURRAH we're in business.
One I've driven around though and it's properly warm, it can take two or even three turns. It probably isn't this, but it sounds like a lack of fuel. The starter motor does it's thing, the engine has good intentions, but it wont fire without persistence for a few seconds, and when it does, for a second or so it sounds gruff and unwilling.

I'm a little perplexed by that at the moment, but this evening is only the second time I've experienced it, and we're having falafel tonight, so I'll ponder on that and formulate hypotheses in due course. Could be some gribbage backed up around the vernacular bassoon obfuscator.
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Postby scimjim » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Check the the eureka bypass wire hasn't fallen off the starter motor. There should be the big cable from the battery, a small white/red from the ignition key and a small white/yellow that bypasses the eureka wire during starting to give the coil max ergs.
Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1600 SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: SE6a (Katrina), 1400EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick), 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), TI SS1 (snotty), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS
scimjim
RSSOC Member

Postby AnotherTim » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Okay, will do. Cheers Jim!
===
===
AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Project Progress