Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Rev Light

Post by Rev Light » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:54 am

Well done, you got there in the end.

I am doing mine this winter, along with the gearbox change, engine tidy up, etc. I.e it's all coming out. The goal is to get all gears all the time and to stop dropping oil everywhere. Stretch goal, to get the overdrive working...Might even clean up the engine bay, if time allows.

Steve

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:20 pm

General maintenance note to self:

New Flamethrower 2 coil and NGK plugs fitted.

(please ignore these notes, they are purely here for an online record of progress. When I sell a car I always find it useful to refer to a thread such as this for evidence of the car's treatment and maintenance over the course of my ownership, with date stamps built into the posts)

Dcrosby13

Post by Dcrosby13 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:42 am

Is this still available?

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:52 am

I've postponed the decision to sell it for now. I've been focussing on other more important things... in-between finishing off some quick jobs I wanted to do to the car.

It may well get sold, it depends on how my fortunes go over the next month and the rest of the year.

Being honest though, I doubt I would get what I would want for the car from a Scim club member and owner/enthusiast. The car is really good and reliable and despite my best efforts in worrying about it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all at this point. It's a turnkey car with faultless oil pressure that stays cool and drives perfectly. But.... it's very unapologetically in the street-beater mould. Stripped down, home-sprayed satin black, very rough and ready, with side exit exhausts that make a lovely but aggressive noise... it's more of a car for the aspiring rat rod / muscle car enthusiast who wants a little bit of mild Mad Max on the driveway. Not really for a classic car fan or a Scimitar purist at all.

So in the eyes of that Scim purist this car will be of extremely low value. It's been buggered about.

If I sell it, I'll be selling it as less of a Scimitar and more of a homebrew street beater, and it will be advertised and priced accordingly, with a price that reflects its value to that kind of buyer, not to the Scim enthusiast who's going to find a lot of its appearance and rawness distasteful and beyond a simple restoration to an original state.

Sprogladite

Post by Sprogladite » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Tim, read your thread with enthusiasm after seeing the for sale post; this is exactly the type of Scimitar I am after! I was going to purchase a project to evolve into what I see in your car, to be honest.

Please let me know if you are keen on selling, I would be more than happy to take it off your hands for a reasonable price.

Cheers,

Pete

07773 022943

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:27 am

Hello Pete, thanks for the interest. For now, I've withdrawn the car from sale. It was only put for sale as a sensible decision in a business flat-spot where it seemed unwise to keep hold of it. For now though it looks as though a few things are happening and the wolf will not be at my door just yet, so the car will be staying with me a while longer.

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:03 am

In other news... I had been sensing a smell of antifreeze when driving around recently, and I began to fear the worst. Last weekend I had the car parked outside the house so I started her up and let her run up to temperature to see what I could see.

I have steam coming from the top incoming hose mount point on the rad, and there is evidence of small coolant trails running down the right hand side rear of the radiator beneath the hose port there. It was hard to tell exactly where it was coming from as it looked to be on the underside of the connector, but the direction of the steam did seem to be backwards, suggesting it's not the hose leaking at the join (which would plume forwards) but a cracked weld on the rad where the inlet pipe is joined. It does all look a bit weak around there with some very lumpy looking join welds. It's possible it was pluming forwards from the hose join ad then bouncing back off the rad body - meaning I might be lucky, retightening the hose to live happily ever after - but I'm more of the mind that it's a crack in the join of the inlet port. That was my theory but it was hard to see with the upper rad panel in place.

It's a shame if it's gone because the rad doesn't look to be too old otherwise. Graham Walker can supply a new one for a good price though so as soon as some money arrives from some work I'm doing right now, I'm thinking I'll just replace it with an alloy rad and get my new water pump fitted that I bought months ago at the same time.

Might be able to braze the old rad and have it on standby.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:18 pm

If you have a crack at the joint, it can easily be soldered up.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Well, plan 2 today was - if necessary - to wrap it in tight neat coils of solder and then gently braze it into a ring.

Plan 1 was really just to inspect it and see if maybe it's a leaky hose join, or even possibly a split hose..

I've been lifting the engine recently to replace the engine mounts so although the hoses are flexible it's feasible that a join got disturbed. Peering into the murky space last weekend though it looked like the weld was bad.

Just had the rad cowling up and pulled the hose for a proper look and actually I don't think it is the join at all. It looks good and clean all around when the hose is removed.

I have Samco hoses on the car and I suspect that like a lot of previous things changed by previous owners, they might not actually be quite the right size. I've had to go a little crazy with multiple hose clips to stop various other leaky points over the year. A bodge to resolve a bodge but for now it works. One day I'll pull the lot and make sure I have the right hoses... by buying a set of the right hoses.

So I suspect that join got disturbed and started leaking... mostly just a wisp of steam escaping at a weak point under pressure. I've just re-attached it all but also tried to seal off the end of the hose around the port a little bit with a ring of chem-weld. Probably pointless (it felt rather pointless while I was doing it) but the end of the hose at that point never feels like it sits particularly nicely on the rad port. So now I have two broad hose clips and the end of the hose is butted into a moulded chem-weld ring just to try and add a little more discouragement.

I'll be taking it for a spin later to see if it's any better.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Silicone hoses often need multiple tightenings over time before they seal.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:09 pm

They do indeed.

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Maintenance update for my records:

New "Gold-Flo" Facet fuel pump fitted (after mine crapped out on Sunday on Brighton's busiest street, thanks Obama)

New fuel line from tank to carb, new inline filter.

New brake shoes and brake cylinders fitted rear. New brake fluid, obvs. Brakes checked generally.

Trunnions, joints and all else greased and checked.

Next tasks:

Fit new tires (end of this week)

Cylinder heads off, clean up and adjustments where necessary. New gaskets. (New year)

Rev Light

Post by Rev Light » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Nice to see you back Tim.

Steve

scim_rebel
RSSOC Member

Post by scim_rebel » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:26 pm

Rev Light wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:24 pm
Nice to see you back Tim.

Steve
Was just thinking exactly the same thing... :wink:

Carl

1968 SE4a & 1971 SE5
1972 Fairthorpe TX-GT
2004 MG ZT-T

Previous: 1968(x2), 1969, 1970, 1971 SE5(s), a brace of Rebels… and a 1970 Trident Clipper

A pessimist is never disappointed...

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Cheers fellas. Not exactly back, I just like to keep a record of the car's maintenance/repair in one place. Started here, so I continue to add any info here.

Hope you're both well.

Merry Christmas Scimitar owners and appreciators!

Return to “Project Progress”