se6 chassis and build progress.

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Datsundrew

se6 chassis and build progress.

Post by Datsundrew » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:35 pm

I've got my chassis off and ready to get blasted and galvanized. The thought of cutting windows in the body to get access for awkward welding is not for me, and the whole chassis has rust creaping about under the heavy underseal. It all seems a bit short sighted as I intend to keep it a long time. I've welded a few bits, but it is actually very solid. I know later cars were galved, but were they just standard ones done or are extra holes drilled for venting/ draining. I thought I may drill holes in each end and then weld a thick washer over the hole to give it more strength ? Has anybody else done this and if so have you any warnings or advice?
Last edited by Datsundrew on Fri May 26, 2017 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: Galvanising my se6 chassis

Post by scimjim » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:38 pm

you should be asked to sign a disclaimer at the galvanisers to say that they can drill holes if they feel it needs them - I left it to the experts and didn't feel that access holes needed reinforcing (they didn't drill any in the modified Range Rover chassis)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

Post by scimmy_man » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:08 pm

I have had a few galved,
you will find the tapped mounting holes in the top will give plenty of access, a few extras dont hurt,
one bit I forgot once (and once only) was the middle of the X where the main rails meet, there is a closed section there each side that blows.

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:20 pm

Oh yes good call on the X bit......I had a really good look at the chassis and concluded it was all vented in some way, but I didn't consider that bit! I will drill that bit, and maybe 10 mm holes on each rail at the bottom. My landrover chassis is galved and that has holes in the side, at the bottom edge. I assume the better 'flow' through the chassis helps with the acid dip and the galv coating as although holes not ideal, it stops air pockets forming and preventing coverage ?

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:47 pm

it's not a coverage problem, it's the risk of a build up of gases which can expand and distort.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:36 pm

A quick update.....the chassis went off to be blasted this weekend, and off to be galvanised next week......feeling excited!

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:40 pm

Been a while since I posted on here, so thought an update may be due!
I got the chassis back and it's looking great, I'm really (unexpectedly) busy with work, so put the swap over on hold but I have got everything unbolted apart from the brakes and steering, so as soon as time permits I will get on with it
I had a nightmare getting the roll hoop bolts out, and it's actually very rusty in this area, even though it looked solid...it's not. In fact the more I scrape and bash it, the more I realise how a solid chassis actually isn't.

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:46 pm

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:57 pm

I'm really pleased with the outcome, and can't wait to start getting on with it. In the meantime, I've been stripping out the horrible damp carpet and trying to figure where the water gets in......and I found it. I suspected the rear windows were leaking last year as it's a common problem and there is silicone around the rubber in an attempt to seal it. I bought a new (and bloody expensive) pair new, and fitted one to the drivers side, it was hard to fit.......and it leaked.
As most will know, the leak comes from the water finding its way around the glass, running down to the bottom corner, behind the trim and the reappearing at the seatbelt mount where it soaks the carpet, and then rots the seatbelt and chassis. Nice.
I really wanted to sort this problem and came up with an idea.

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:21 pm

How about doing away with the retaining rubber completely and mounting a rubber around the edge of the aperture like the door has, and then add hinges as a lot of other cars have? The glass is flat, so it's not difficult to get remade to a better size, and I have a friend with an excellent contact with a glass manufacturer. A trip to the breakers got me a selection of hinges and openers, of which ones from a ford ka seemed ok for the job. I made a template from hardboard with holes in the relevant places and sent it off to be duplicated in (tinted) glass.

Rubber around the edge..
Old glass on top of the new....

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:24 pm

The new glass fitted.....

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:27 pm

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:37 pm

The new glass is exactly the same outside diameter of the stainless trim, and my original plan was to trim the lip from the back of the trim and then use screen adhesive to stick it on, which would make it look original and cover the rubber seal area, but now I'm not so sure?
I am now thinking of getting new front windows made the same and spraying the door frame for a cleaner look? What are your opinions?
After a huge downpour lone night last week I was excited and rushed out to inspect the pool of water.........original sealed side- wet, New opening window? Dry!
I have ordered BMW e46 openers as they are electric and sort of on a remote cable, so am hoping to be able to operate both on a switch.......watch this space!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:52 pm

I did spot this on R-R; really liking the idea here on the rear windows. Might have to play with mine..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:08 pm

Ha ha! Yes it's so much easier to post pics on retro rides!

Return to “Project Progress”