Se5a

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

peteg1980

Se5a

Post by peteg1980 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:35 pm

I bought my Se5a almost 1 year ago. A non runner( still!!) and last taxed in 1998- so off the road since then I believe.(The previous owner sold the car for somewhat tragic family reasons and the agent acting for him new little about the cars history) The car was stored in a large dry shed and has at some point undergone extensive renovation, The chassis and under side is dry and rust free and had been painted and waxoyl treated. All bushes and brakes had been replaced.Over time however the caliper pistons had seized .I removed the calipers and noticed the drop link bushes looked cracked.Checked a bit more and the Goodridge hoses were seized to the unions connecting them to the solid brake pipes to the calipers. The unions were so tight they are now in need of replacement ( sourced from where ?) I have decided to dismantle all suspension,steering and brake nut and bolts and clean and reassemble.If left they will probably seize solid.
Will all bushes have perished in the time it has been standing do you think?
The exhaust manifolds were looking dodgy and held on with mild steel bolts as opposed to studs and brass nuts. As everyone knows they are very awkward to get at so having stripped them out I thought I would replace them with Stainless cap head bolts. I am now concerned that stainless steel and cast iron might pose problems with 'pick up' and seizure with heat from the engine.Any advice thoughts?
I have had the rocker covers off and all looks good in there but with the manifolds off I put a small borescope inspection camera inside the engine and there is evidence of rust as should be expected. The engine turns freely by hand on the crankshaft pulley . Is the rust cause for concern?
The wiring looks a mess and the engine has never turned over because with a fully charged battery there is no ignition light.
I am certainly no auto electrician but wondered if a new wiring loom would be a good starting point for restoration as it would look a lot neater and also give whoever fixes it a fighting chance to fix and modernise! I have acquired electric motors for the windows ( are they an easy install?)
Finally !! Minilite style wheels on ebay from seller - mgbhiveltd.Said to fit all mgb's from 1962-1980.Do they actually fit Se5a's as I suspect?
Got plenty more questions but that will do for now!

Cheers :D

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Re: Se5a

Post by peter freeman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:43 pm

If I were you I would visit my nearest noggin and I'm sure someone there will volunteer to come and have a look at your car and give you advice.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:20 pm

Too many questions! Sounds like a project progress thread in the making though :-)

Brake unions - anywhere, eBay, decent motor factors, etc

Bushes - inspect individually

Stainless cap head bolts on manifolds - not a good idea IMHO

Corrosion in the engine - run it until it's warm and change oil and filter unless it's in the bores, in which case take the heads off and clean or they'll get scored. Under no circumstances turn the engine over.....too late :roll:

Wiring looms are available from one source but generally accepted to be more work than they're worth. There's only two wires to the ignition light, one from the alternator and one from the ignition switch. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Electric Windows - if they're original type should be easy enough to fit if you have (or can replicate) the sub loom with relays. I think there is reinforcement in the doors of e/w cars but later 5a may have that anyway?

Minilites for MGB will probably be the wrong offset.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Will Anderson
RSSOC Member

Post by Will Anderson » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:30 pm

You are quite close to to your nearest noggin:

Scotland (Central) 1st Tuesday The Hawes Inn, 7 Newhalls Road, South Queensferry, EH30 9TA
Noggin start approx. 7:45pm Greig Ford 01506 827762 or 07969 839899

Give Greig a call he should be able to give you some pointers or suggest someone who could come and have a look.

Will Anderson - RSSOC 4230 & Middlebridge Registrar
SE5a 1973, SE5a 1972, Middlebridge 14, 42, P.O. Middlebridge 46 & 67

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:10 pm

peteg1980 wrote: Finally !! Minilite style wheels on ebay from seller - mgbhiveltd.Said to fit all mgb's from 1962-1980.Do they actually fit Se5a's as I suspect?
I'm assuming that you're talking about these wheels?

Well, the MGB has the same PCD as the Scimitar, so they will physically fit onto the studs.

However..........

1. They don't state what the offset is. MGB wheels normally have a different offset from Scimitars, which results in the wheel rim being closer-in to the centreline (ie it would give the car a "narrow-tracked" attitude).

2. They are only 5.5 inch width. That's the same width as the Dunlop composites or the steel rims, so it's not a total show stopper, but personally, if I was spending a worthwhile sum of money, I'd be looking at 6 inch at least, like the Wolfrace wheels.

Like Jim, I was thinking this sounds like a budding project thread - if you'd like me to move it, I'd be happy to do so.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

peteg1980

Post by peteg1980 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:27 am

Answers as expected really.No crystal balls available and working obviously :!: ( unlike the other kind! :) )
Really was hoping my car in mechanical/medical terms had a touch of flu and would soon be on the mend( General technical discussion). Looks like it may have full blown bronchitis ( Project thread!)
Jim and Roger's prognosis would appear to be correct! Project thread it will be! I wish me a full recovery.

Pete
l

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:41 am

There you are, it's now a project thread! :D

Note that if you want to change the title to reflect changing circumstances, then you can use the "edit" button to edit the first post, and that new title will then be reflected in all new posts :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

peteg1980

Post by peteg1980 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:39 pm

:) Cheers Roger

peteg1980

Post by peteg1980 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:37 pm

I'm still tinkering with Se5a KSC272N and wondered if anyone has any knowledge of past history.
In the meantime I have bought and am now running JMT 289P which I'm sure is well known to some on this forum as it has a RSSOC badge on the windscreen and was on a flickr album recently.
Would be interested to hear history of either car.

Pete

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:15 pm

JMT is on the Register, but the entry dates from 1998. I don't have a photo of the car, so if you could post one on here or send me one I'd appreciate it.

Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

Return to “Project Progress”