SE5a YTY V8 project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Re: SE5a YTY V8 project

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:11 am

"oil is a very touchy and subjective discussion."
Not really.
Best to read the technical information about oil for genuine information on how oil works and the different types and their application.

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

plastic orange

Post by plastic orange » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:52 pm

20/50 for earlier Rover V8's (distributer driven oil pumps) - later ones with crank driven pumps can use lighter oils. Plenty information on this matter on RV8 sites. Halfords Classic is oil of choice.

Pete

6sabre

Post by 6sabre » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:05 pm

This is the same setup I have in my 6a. I pretty sure I used a Jaguar XJ40 filter in the ZF box with no pickup pipe. as oil is above sump level. The RR has a deep sump and allows for surge on slopes etc with the pickup pipe. Pictures on here somewhere ;-)
a scim.JPG
a scim.JPG (143.23 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
It works very well.

Steve J

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Good to know it's tried and tested even if its a different model. :D

Indeed I did as you say but with a BMW filter. No pick up pipe.

Can't wait to get to the stage where I can put it to the test, but that is a long way off...... still each job done gets me closer.

If it is made of nuts and bolts I WILL take it apart..... going back together is a whole different ball game

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Oh, and that looks very nice indeed! Hope I can get something looking half as good . Are you running a 3.5 or a different cc?

I may be twisting your arm for carb set up when I get to the fettling stage. Where did you put the transmission oil cooler if I may ask?

Cheers

If it is made of nuts and bolts I WILL take it apart..... going back together is a whole different ball game

6sabre

Post by 6sabre » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 pm

I used a Rover P5b radiator which includes the gearbox oil cooler. It could go in front of the rad? Depends on how much you mod the front grp, I have tyre gunk and no spare so I could open up the front.
I have a better cam, but started with the recommended jet setup in the manual. I had it on a rolling road and he made some changes, but happy to remove jjets etc and let you know when you are ready. Easy to do on the edelbrock carb. Its 3500 and 185-190bhp with cam and carb. Setting the kickdown cable length is a bit tricky, and without it connected it changes at about 2200 revs to next gear. Runs fine using gear change.
You can use standard scim lever by filing the 'steps' ...happy to talk more anytime.PM and give you my number.

Steve J

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:04 am

thanks a lot Steve.

i will PM you my telephone number then you have it for future reference. the kickdown cable connection, adjustment etc was causing some niggles at the back of my mind, so its good to know that someone has already been there so to speak. i do have an LDV ZF gearbox manual that has the adjustments in, but a conversation and pictures speaks a thousand words. and if you were willing i could always do a visit armed with a camera!

i take it then that you use a standard scim auto pedal box? mine is a manual and i was going to try to adapt it, but i may be better off swapping it out for an auto one.

i will also take a look at the P5b radiator as well. the front is having some modifications, so it may well be the answer.

once again a big thank you.

cheers, Ian.

plastic orange

Post by plastic orange » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:34 pm

I didn't have to change jetting when I went from mildly tweaked 3.5 to similar spec 3.9, but I'm sure a rolling road session would get it better, but very few folk (even less in Scotland) have the ability to do it. My 3.9 in my Minor runs great with no flat spots and good power up to the red line. I use an external plate type oil cooler for my auto box as I didn't want the chance of water in the oil from a failed rad cooler. I use a stock SD1 radiator with twin kenlowes and it cools just great in my Minor, but my other one with chevy power manages great with the rad and fans out of a Saab 9000.

Pete

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:19 pm

there are so many radiator and cooling options now that I have started to look. I must admit that I hadn't heard of the shared cooling before. Now I have had a quick look on the rover sites I see that quite a few people use the Discovery and defender series shared radiators in the V8 applications.

I like the idea of the shared one just because it's one less part to clutter things up. But you are right peter there is always a contamination risk I guess.

I don't know why I am getting excited about jetting etc as yet. Nowhere near ready... :roll: But I may get lucky and things will work straight off. Time will tell.

Still working on the brakes,then some more body work is scheduled.....

Cheers

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:49 am

soooo...

handbrake drum levers are on the operating table this weekend, thanks Alex (ard126k).

some bodywork progress. i wanted to smooth things out a bit, lose the bumpers and so ended up with this. not for the purist but its unique (well not so common probably is a better statement) and i like it. indicator housing removed, "reliant shield raised bit" removed, trimmed number plate and fixing area trimmed... starting to take shape.

pictures for those who wish to enjoy, tut or laugh at the bodywork skills!! attention turning to the rear next.

thanks, Ian.
bodywork 5.jpg
starting point after the grinder
bodywork 5.jpg (113.87 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
bodywork 2.jpg
starting to make good
bodywork 2.jpg (124.77 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
body work 4.jpg
looking quite good ....
body work 4.jpg (124.35 KiB) Viewed 2349 times

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:35 pm

as per previous post, attention turned to the rear.

after inspiration and help from others on this thread i have now removed the rear "chassis channel" from the body (not the right words i am sure but you get the idea). now very smooooth. some finalising to be done, but looking nice and uncluttered. rear wash/ wipe removed and filled. just as a reminder from previous work the fuel cap is removed (to be re-sited on the driver side) and the exhausts will exit through the grafted on wheel arch.. i cant take the major credit for this. help from a kind colleague at work who is sick of me telling him what i want done i imagine....

sills next....
rear 1.jpg
from this.....
rear 1.jpg (111.86 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
to this......
rear 2.jpg
cut away
rear 2.jpg (122.67 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
to this
rear 3.jpg
almost there......
rear 3.jpg (106.08 KiB) Viewed 2289 times

onwards!.........................

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:07 pm

at long last attention turned to sills and A posts.

i had new stainless items made up back in March..... 2016! how ambitious was that? :shock:

A posts now back in and the hinges trial fitted before they get a refurb. all good so far. hung nearside door and all reasonably well. drivers door needs some work with some small cracks and both sides need window regulator channels.

the plates that are in the doors to bolt to the hinges were interesting to say the least. see pictures below of before and after...

sills whilst looking like they needed a little attention soon revealed that they actually needed a lot of attention! now old removed and all glassed back up again.
Apost 1.jpg
new metal in position
Apost 1.jpg (118.54 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
A post hinges.jpg
hinges in place for trial door hanging
A post hinges.jpg (123.68 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
sill 3.jpg
innocuous looking split
sill 3.jpg (143.13 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
more to follow.......

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:09 pm

more sill pictures......
sills1.jpg
lurking beneath
sills1.jpg (135.1 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
sills5.jpg
hmmmmmmm
sills5.jpg (131.88 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
sills 1 003.jpg
all removed
sills 1 003.jpg (147.53 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
cheers, Ian.

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:13 pm

so whilst messing with the bodywork, i couldnt resist seeing what things may start to look like... just for my own benefit.

quite happy so far. front grills wont look like that, but it gives an idea. thinking of the off centre rear number plate as an option.

probably not much more update for a week or so now. time is being eaten by other things...

thanks for looking, Ian.
rear number plate.jpg
back view
rear number plate.jpg (89.34 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
front number plate.jpg
bonnet dropped on "just to see"
front number plate.jpg (76.32 KiB) Viewed 2537 times

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 pm

almost forgot the door plates that fasten the door to the hinges....

before and after shot. that really is it now. Ian.
Door fastening plate.jpg
speaks for itself
Door fastening plate.jpg (183.59 KiB) Viewed 2533 times

Return to “Project Progress”