Manny's 78 GTE

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

manny
RSSOC Member

Re: Manny's 78 GTE

Post by manny » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:15 pm

good day all,

I abandoned the DRLs idea...because....well, no one said it - but it was stupid...so anyhow....i had purchased some H4 inner headlamps - but they were not a straight fit ..some remedial dressing was required to the headlamp bowl ring..thingee.
At the moment they only serve as beams as i need to purchase H4 connectors - they have the pilot light as well....so i will have 4X lights.. ( relay is already in place)

i will use the LED strip for instruments\interior.. now a bacon\egg sarnie and then greasing of trunions!!

lovely day!!

Ta

Manny

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:08 pm

ahhhh....my god...

one Silverline mini grease gun in the bin!!

managed to just finish the rear axle greasing when that happened...

doh

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Sat May 21, 2016 9:11 am

good ( damp) day all,

yesterday my otter\manual fan switch failed whilst heading down the M42 from Nottingham- this was at 4:30 knowing that i would hit traffic at the Birmingham A38 Junction around 5:15 :( - I was not looking forward to what maybe have been a blown engine.
Well i now have full faith in the cooling system at this point - the temp sat at 90 degrees whilst on the move ( 55-60 mph)- excellent
So heater on full, rear of the bonnet raised by some thick tree branch!!- we then hit the A38 junction on the M6 and sure enough traffic...the rule was if the gauge hit the 110 marker? ( one beyond the 90) i would switch off the engine and if possible pull over and endure the swearing by the nice motorists.

Any way it got close a few times but we made it :D :D then i found i could not switch off the heater switch...

pants !!! but hopefully the engine is ok..

Ta

Manny

btw i was two cars behind a red GTC ( hood up) - which turned of at the Tamworth junction around 2:30 on the A42\M42 heading North...any one?

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat May 21, 2016 9:00 pm

That GTC has been spotted a few times in and around Tamworth.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
SS1 Racer
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat May 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Is it the guy we met at the NEC a few years ago that runs a car cleaning products company from the old Reliant buildings in Shenstone (next to the old Norton building, now a UAV rotary engine builder)?

Edit - Autosmart is the company I was thinking of.
Last edited by scimjim on Sat May 21, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat May 21, 2016 9:30 pm

The car keeps being spotted up the one end of Tamworth (not far from Ricky's place).

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Sun May 22, 2016 8:47 am

good day all,

turns out the failure was a the loose fuse holder!..should have known better!!

Ta

Manny

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Mon May 30, 2016 8:05 pm

good day,

today i did two things - one was to replace my old otter switch with one of the newer ones- and uses zip ties for extra measure as recommended by forum users.
Two was to butcher a discarded retracting parcel shelf to fit the GTE- -i have cut the tube down and installed some brackets and it works (tensions)- just got to glue the cloth etc

ta

Manny

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Good Sunny day all,

I have been...secretly....taking apart a donor SE6A..mainly to practice the body\chassis separation - and the chassis appears to be in better nick than my road going one.
The plan is to refurb ( galvanise...??) the chassis and powder coat the suspension gear and hopefully within a few years- plonk my painted (to be) body .
As I am billy no mates.. :( ... i have got to the stage below.

As the donor has no engine\gearbox - it suited my needs

the front is clear- but the rear seems a bit reluctant to shift- it may be the body\chassis pads stuck.
The chassis is resting on two ( 1980's) bread trolleys that we had lying around - it allowed me to manoeuvre the complete car single handed ( did i mention billy no mates... :( )

I need to plan a body trolley in the next few weeks..

I am of course assuming a declared chassis swap will be okay.... :?

Ta

Manny

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:32 pm

Just don't forget that the identity is for the chassis, not the body so don't forget to swap the VIN plate and number plates to match the chassis.

If the body doesn't want to lift, check and check again you've not missed a bolt or fixing before trying to force it too much.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:52 pm

philhoward wrote:Just don't forget that the identity is for the chassis, not the body so don't forget to swap the VIN plate and number plates to match the chassis.

If the body doesn't want to lift, check and check again you've not missed a bolt or fixing before trying to force it too much.
ooh...OK..i don't have a V5 with chassis..was going to apply for one soon..

will recheck the bolts ( again) next week

Ta

Manny

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Good sad day all,

today my GTE failed its MOT- well it had a good run since i bought it.. but not too bad..
failed on rusty discs ( outer half inch ) and the drivers door no longer opens from the inside.

I have some new pads and discs that i purchased a few years ago so hopefully that will be sorted soon.
The door is a bit of a mystery yet- the inside handle appears to have full movement but not enough leverage to unlatch- another thing to look at over the weekend...but it's bloody cold!!!

Ta

Manny

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:46 pm

Good day all,

the GTE actually failed on the pad wear and the door not opening, so this morning - replaced the pads- 30 mins max- between cups of tea and mobile calls.
The inside handle was not to able lever enough pressure to unlatch the err latch...so i squirted some plas gas on all the joins\levers- and all was good!!.
Hoping to MOT retest on Wednesday...other than the above...not much to shout about.

Whilst working away...it still surprises me the amount of attention the car gets ( esp in it's present condition) and strangers that start conversations...one which ended with me giving my number as 'his friend has a burgundy scimitar that he want to sell'...and is about 5 mins from my road.

Oh no...i cant get another..can i?

I was working on my car at our commercial property..there is a jewelers two shops down - his son popped over and showed me his current restoration ( on phone) a silver AM DB6!!! 85K and rising ....-i have known him\family for over 20 years- and seen his varioius Lambos and Ferraris- currently he has a 308 GTB,458 Itallia, Audi S8 and 760iL......now he wants to buy mine when i finish it..!!

Ta

Manny

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:42 pm

another years MOT in hand today !!! yeah... my MOT father has mentioned a car he went to see an SE5a -ROE 425M - i am going to see it tomorrow... :!: we are trying to save it from the scrappers

any way- next few jobs on the 6a
1.replace the valve stem seals
2. replace inlet gasket
3. fit new carb

should keep me busy enough to stay away from the rabble inside over Xmas

ta

Manny

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Best of luck with the Christmas job list :)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

Return to “Project Progress”