Straight 6 Coupé - A rolling Restoration

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Straight 6 Coupé - A rolling Restoration

Post by Joe. » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:24 pm

As mentioned on the forum recently I've recently bought a Straight 6 Coupé!

I've Always fancied trying out one of the early Straight 6 cars so I decided to put a low bid this one as it seemed reasonably priced.... To my surprise I won it.

The following morning Dave and Myself set of in the rebel van to collect this new fiberglass offering from Bexhill. The plan was to drive the coupé 50 miles home as I didn't really want to hire a trailer for a car that was MOT'd and taxed. We were aware of a charging issue so bought a spare battery and a set of jump leads and a selection of tools with the hope that they should be enough to get us home.

A few photos of the car when we picked it up (sorry there arnt many Dave took them and diddnt take many as it started to rain!)

We made it about 22 miles under our own power but in the end we were caught out by a road closure and a huge traffic jam which caused it to get a bit warm. Shortly afterwards to develop a misfire, while investigating the rotor arm snapped itself in half inside the cap. So in the end we made it home on the back of a recovery truck!

This photo was taken after the rebel van had given a vital electricity transplant.

On the face of it the car is more or less expected with good and bad bits,

The Good:

5 Refurbished Wire Wheels and brand new carmac Tyres,
Rebuilt Brakes including Calipers etc,
Chassis seems decent, barring some non original outrigger repairs
Recent stainless exhaust system,
An MOT

The Bad:

Triple carbs setup is missing, (carb fitted is incorrect even for a normal ford application)
Mystery Misfire,
Front bumper missing,
All screen seals need replacing,
Complete lack of charge from the dynamo / regulator.
Bodywork is a bit of a mystery as to whats under the primer and how well its been fixed,
Almost no paperwork with the car, i think the last owner binned his receipts in case his wife found them!

Urgently wanted: Correct triple su carb setup, even just a triple su maniflod and or linkages would help though I appreciate that these are quite rare. I'd even consider buying a correct Zenith if it will help me to get the car running reasonably. If i cant find an original setup I'll consider mounting 3 HS4 SU's on a custom made manifold, so if anyone has any thoughts on that They'd be appreciated.

Expect quite a few questions on this thread as straight 6 seems to be a bit of a departure from the V6 engined cars.
Last edited by Joe. on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toomanysabres
RIP

Re: Straight 6 Coupé - A rolling Restoration

Post by toomanysabres » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Are you likely to be able to come to our noggin in the Lamb. I might be able to help with some bits. I will have to excavate the carboniferous layer first. :D
I did have a triple Zenith manifold & carbs. Haven't seen it for a while probably all seized though.
Geoff

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Based on convention, twin SU's will have a better mixture distribution based on the firing order I thought? Forgot there's only 3 inlet ports though :oops:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:02 pm

Robin Rew told me the Mays head would be better fed with twins rather than triples due to the crank sequencing and as I have a twin SU manifold for the Sabre it I got it bored and adapters made for twin HIF6 's. Iain called me when they were setting it all up after it was painted to say am I to cut the hole in the bonnet or are you. WHAT!.
So I then had to bite the bullet and organise triple Webers.

Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Post by Oaksey » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:48 pm

I know I've got two manifolds and I think I've got some carbs (talking Zenith setups here)
I'll have to go over to spare parts HQ aka the grandparents loft and check :lol:

If you need owt else, drop me and line as I'll probably have a spare somewhere :)

Josh Oakes
2015, 2016 and 2017 SSSC Champion
1974 Yellow Se5a Overdrive
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
1966 Blue Coupe Straight Six
Previous- Coupe S6,
SS1 Ti, E90 SS1 Ti, SE6a x3, SE5 Auto, SS1 CVH, Mk2 Sabre, Rebel Estate

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:35 pm

toomanysabres wrote:Are you likely to be able to come to our noggin in the Lamb. I might be able to help with some bits. I will have to excavate the carboniferous layer first. :D
I did have a triple Zenith manifold & carbs. Haven't seen it for a while probably all seized though.
Geoff
Not sure I'm familiar with the triple zenith? did you mean triple su? if so I'm definately interested depending on price! If you could dig it out I'd really appriciate it. I don't know about attending the noggin next month as I struggle to make evening commitments due to work but I'm sure i could make over to view / pickup at a time to suit you.

I know that the zephyr / zodiac used a single zenith setup, we found a zenith 42WIA in the boot which seems to be off a zodiac mk3 and should be capable of running the engine, however its been abused a bit and the aluminium casting has distorted where it looks like someone has hit it with a hammer! this means the reaction piston for the accelerator piston is prone to jam. Its currently fitted to the car but its far from ideal.

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:42 pm

No its a triple Zenith. My Sabre Six when I got it in 1900 and frozen to death had a single Zenith but somewhere along the line I acquired this triple Z setup.
Forgot to look today, out all day tomorrow but will make a note to look on Sunday.

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:21 am

The following morning and we had a better chance to poke about under the bonnet and get a few more photos.

It was treated to the following bits:

Plugs,
ht leads,
dizzy cap,
Rotor arm,
points / condenser,

The dashboard was full of rats nests which sadly has been a bit of a theme with cars I've bought recently, still it was better than the crossflow!

Dash clear of dead rodents we then went on a bit of a de-bodging session removing modifications from the headlight wiring, an electric fuel pump which was wired to run of the rev counter! In the end we managed to get most of the electrics going with the exception of the clock and the fuel gauge, After a bit of fault finding it looks like the tank sender is going to have to come out, sods law as I topped up the tank on the way home! Does anyone know of a readily available coupe compatible sender unit?

Parts are due to be ordered to overhaul the starting / charging system, probably going to stick with the dynamo for the time being unless anyone can think of a particularly goot reason to fit an alternator? I've bought 2 12v batterys to replace the knackered 6 volts and the wiring will be adapted to suit. It turned out the starter motor was the same as a rebel one which came as a bit of a surprise!

Engine bay:

There are lots of little things that leave you wondering what the past owners of the car were thinking, The black roof is actually paint not vinyl and appears to be badly mixed, It wipes off with plenty of thinners and tissue paper so hopefully it will go back to the primer ok. The gearbox tunnel had bits of ally pop rivited to it and the speedo cable seems to be held into the with black silicone... :(

During the 20 or so miles i drove the car it was pretty obvious that there was something amiss with the gear selection, it was very easy to select reverse instead of first. A look at the end of the gear stick shows it is quite worn but I'm not totally sure of the correct diameter / profile it should be!

Dave also had a go at re soldering the joint between the radiator cap pipe and the top of the rad (this was leaking on the drive home.)

So far the new solder seems to be doing well. The rad cap has also been replaced as the old one looked well passed it!

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:24 am

Great stuff Joe. Nice thats she's a rolling restoration.

Rivets.... At least gives you good access to the gearbox without having to get under her :lol: :lol:

Shouldn't The gear lever have the split pin thingy coming out of the ball on both sides

Is we sideways yet...

windy

Post by windy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:46 am

That is a surprise that the Rebel starter is the same one as the mighty straight six. Good to see you are getting all the jobs done & keep the pics coming :)

Lukeyboy46

Post by Lukeyboy46 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:17 am

Looks good! Looking forward to seeing how you get on :)

Luke Garratt
RSSOC Forum Moderator

74' Se5a - Daily driver!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Looks like it was a good buy! I look forward to hearing more :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:09 pm

MikeyBikey wrote: Shouldn't The gear lever have the split pin thingy coming out of the ball on both sides
No. Its a solid pin just stops it rotating while allowing the stick to rock.
You have to lift the stick against the spring under the retaining cap. Maybe its missing or gone weak. My stick looks as much worn as yours*. I'll take a picture tomorrow. Maybe the slot in the shifter rod is worn.

Reminds me of the time in the 1998 Marathon to Morocco when in the middle of nowhere in Spain I got the box into reverse but had lifted the stick back into the 1,2 - 3,4 shifter rod slots. Had to dismantle the tunnel cover to get the stick out and place it in the reverse shifter slot.
I can remember being in a major panic. Stick was waggling normally as in neutral, couldn't select any fwd gears and all the car would do was go backwards. Couldn't initially work out what had gone wrong :oops:

* see below for the Nigel N-G shape after welding

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:06 pm

Some pics as promised. Maybe not as worn
Coupe Stick.jpg
Coupe Stick.jpg (52 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
Coupe Selector Rods.jpg
Coupe Selector Rods.jpg (75.3 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
Zenith Carbs & Manifolds.jpg
Zenith Carbs & Manifolds.jpg (121.21 KiB) Viewed 2673 times

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:29 pm

Sorry about the slow reply, and lack of updates.

I've been busy recently and car stuff has taken a bit of a back seat as the family has been getting ready for my 2 year old nephew to have a kidney transplant in December. .

I appreciate the offer of the Zenith setup but I think I'd ideally like to replace the car's standard setup if at all possible.

As these parts are both rare and desirable I'm now looking at replicating a set rather than attempting to buy and refurbish old ones. With that in mind have recently bought a correct set of 3 Brand new SU's and will look at getting the other parts separately...

Which leaves me asking for a big favour! I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help me by lending me a straight 6 inlet manifold, which I will then use as a pattern and will get my set made by a local aluminum foundry. Hopefully someone has a set that's off their car for a rebuild so I'd hope that it wouldn't need to cause any inconvenience. I'd aim to get the new parts made asap so would aim to have the sample parts returned asap. I'm happy to pay to cover the cost of postage etc.

I'm also ideally looking for a loan of a V shape drip tray which I would look to get replicated in stainless, In return for the lend of the sample parts I could possibly get an extra drip tray made in stainless which you could have at cost price?

Hope there's someone out there in a position to help,

Ps has anyone had this done before? any problems / snags please feel free to comment!

Cheers

Joe

Return to “Project Progress”