The SE5a learning curve! - Flora

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

RockerPhill

Re: The SE5a learning curve! - engine timing?

Post by RockerPhill » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:22 pm

The system when I first got the car was chock full of crud, so I'm assuming the matrix is full of crud if I'm honest!

It's steel timing gear, but the base of the dizzy has a little chip out of it. I know it's not common practice but I put a little smear of blue hylomar gasket sealant there just to try :)

The mixture was done a few days ago with an emissions diagnostic machine thingy-majiggy :)

Coolant looks good! The engine was steam cleaned when rebuilt, and the coolant (blue) doesn't seem to be brown or grubby at all.

Thanks a lot Phil :D

I'll check the plugs too :)

- Flora "Tub of Butter" "Buttery Potatoes" "Butterly"
-SE5A 1974.
- Student loan funded light restoration.

If nice guys finish last, then that's alright; at least my conscience will be clear at the end.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:28 pm

What was the CO figure set to? Should be about 2.5% generally. Do you have a figure for the HC?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:51 pm

First, if you suspect the heater might be blocked, it's quite easy to by-pass it, by disconnecting the hoses and joining them together again with a short piece of pipe (or even just replacing the two hoses with a long single hose).

Second, if you're testing the stat, don't just drop it into a saucepan of water, so it rests on the bottom, it'll pick up the temp of the pan rather than the water, better to dangle it on a piece of string, so it's suspended in the water :wink:

Third, strictly speaking, loss of pressurisation doesn't actually *cause* overheating. Pressurisation raises the boiling point to about 120 deg C, which has two main benefits:
1. It gives you more margin for error, so if you *do* have overheating for some other reason, the engine is less likely to boil,
2. The hot areas around the combustion chambers may go over the boiling point, even in normal circumstances, and without pressurisation there's a risk of local steam pockets which could blow out the coolant, even though the coolant as a whole is at normal temp.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:21 pm

Is it really overheating or just reading high?
Last edited by scimjim on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:05 pm

I thought the fan was staying on when the temp got high? Aside from that, it's still unknown I think if it's actually overheating?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

littlestwoo

Post by littlestwoo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Are you still getting the whistling? Could be the crank case breather connection at the W plate (carb to manifold spacer). Sounds like a pulley or gear but the give away is that it changes with throttle opening rather than engine speed.

Steve Carson - '79 SE6a

RockerPhill

Post by RockerPhill » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:09 am

Hi everyone!

Following everyone's advice, so far, i'be cancelled all of the possibilities of overheating down to a few final things. It can only be the waterpump left now. Otherwise I'm lost with it! I also added a new fuel pump, because that was one of the items I swapped from the old engine to new. Nice and shiny :)

I found (with the help of the wonderful Steve Jenkins) that my water pump impeller holes had a poor casting, so I'm praying to the dear lord Jesus of cars that this has fixed the problem.

Otherwise, I have a big yellow paper weight :)
Attachments
IMG_5286.JPG
IMG_5286.JPG (146.39 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
IMG_5285.JPG
IMG_5285.JPG (144.97 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
IMG_5284.JPG
IMG_5284.JPG (125.15 KiB) Viewed 1730 times

-SE5A 1974.

If nice guys finish last, then that's alright; at least my conscience will be clear at the end.

RockerPhill

Re: The SE5a learning curve!

Post by RockerPhill » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi everyone!!!

So, anyone who knows me on here knows that, since buying my car in April 2013 as an absolute problem car, knows I have battled overheating since the very start. I never cured it despite EXTREME lengths to fix it, UNTIL THIS SECOND!

So far so good at least! I don't want to jinx it too much, but Flora so far since my recent fiddling hasn't exceeded 93c!! I think all I need now is to fit a stronger fan and a relay; then I think I'll finally have my dream car!

BEER FOR ME TONIGHT!! :D!!!!

-SE5A 1974.

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:32 pm

What have you done?

RockerPhill

Post by RockerPhill » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:52 pm

everything possible! So I looked into silly stuff with the help of Steve Jenkins. The new water pump I used had a poorly cast impeller, which meant the efficiency of the pump was severely compromised. I improved the casting using a dremel and, so far, best cooling ever :)

I'm not counting all of my chickens yet though until I get her back on the road :)

-SE5A 1974.

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:22 pm

So in effect, you have improved the water circulation. Good result! :) That vindicates what AJL and others have been postulating , ie: treat the cause, not just the symptoms! Just a question, did you discover anything wrong with the inlet manifold gasket? And second question : has the bubbling in the expansion bottle stopped?

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

RockerPhill

Post by RockerPhill » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:38 pm

Hi old con! The inlet manifold gasket looked fine, though I did in the process discover that my oval port Essex has d port heads! It had the correct gasket :)

The over pressurising was on the old engine; the new one doesn't at all do this (yet!)

The water pump fix however seems great! I also filled the cooling system differently this time following Josh Oaks' advice. I did this by removing the thermostat and housing and filling from the bottle, allowing all air to escape this way. Then I put the housing and stat back, hooked it all up, and filled the remaining coolant..

So far so good!

The true test will be getting her back on the road again :) certainly looking forward to it!!

Now all I feel I want to do is add a better fan!

-SE5A 1974.

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:59 pm

Great stuff, Phill - fingers crossed for you; sounds like good news. (I've had a borrowed trailer on the back of mine collecting a washing machine from the local saleroom & binning my defunct one at the recycling place along with an old armchair - 62 this month & it's the first time I've ever driven a car with a trailer on the back!!!!)

RockerPhill

Post by RockerPhill » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:10 pm

Scimher wrote:Great stuff, Phill - fingers crossed for you; sounds like good news. (I've had a borrowed trailer on the back of mine collecting a washing machine from the local saleroom & binning my defunct one at the recycling place along with an old armchair - 62 this month & it's the first time I've ever driven a car with a trailer on the back!!!!)
Crikey Geoff! Happy birthday for this month too my friend! :D

I'm hoping to tow our 1974 Cavalier on the back of Flora this summer, so with any luck I'll be joining your elite gang!!

-SE5A 1974.

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:57 pm

:lol: .. :lol: .. :lol:
Thanks for the birthday wishes, Phill...

Return to “Project Progress”