1979 Scimitar SE6A in daily use

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

FrazzleTC

Re: 1979 Scimitar SE6A in daily use

Post by FrazzleTC » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:38 pm

Corky wrote:When you do, you'll need to cut off the original plug from your wiring loom. You'll be left with two wires. Pare back the insulation, twist the cores together and fit a female spade crimp.
Thank you! :) I'll hopefully get a chance to do it later in the month. Dissertation work is using up a lot of car time, at the moment, unfortunately! Perils of final year of uni :cry:

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimiTom » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:36 pm

FrazzleTC wrote:Thanks Tom! Hopefully get a chance to catch up with you properly soon! Are you doing the Borders weekend at Moffat?
No, unfortunately not - it clashes with my marking duties for the exam board. I will probably only make it to one show this year (Bridge of Allan), as logistics are a lot more challenging now there's a toddler involved!

Catch you at a noggin eventually though. Best of luck with the dissertation!

Current: 'Boffin' (1971 SE5a)
Previous: 'Sunshine' (1980 SE6b)

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:50 pm

I've used the car all week now, and, as yet, no fluid leaks. However, I was rather disconcerted when I arrived home from uni, when, as I pulled up outside the house, the pedal was very hard in its feel, and I wasn't happy. After a quick look under the bonnet, the culprit was a split servo hose. Obviously when I'd been working, I'd knocked it, and due to its age, this had proved too much, resulting a crack, and an air leak. New hose, and a pair of shiny jubilee clips, and that's the car all sorted for another while.

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:49 pm

Decided that I'd best make sure that everything was well with the car, so went a 50 mile blast this afternoon, just for the sake of it, rather than using the car to get to a particular destination, as is normally the case. It performed very well, and it seems to love the cold air. New air filter ordered this evening on getting home, and I've decided to go for four new tyres, as the fronts are feathering on the inner edge, and I want to change to 195/70/14s, for a better choice of tyre brands.

There is certainly work to do, this year, but, when it's a sunny day, and it's going well, it all seems worthwhile.

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimiTom » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:25 pm

I am VERY envious of the driving roads you have at your disposal... :evil:

Current: 'Boffin' (1971 SE5a)
Previous: 'Sunshine' (1980 SE6b)

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:50 pm

The car looks good.....
the roads look fantastic! :D

Good to hear it's going well! :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks Tom!

Thanks Roger!

I'm very lucky to live where I do, and have access to so many amazing roads, which are almost deserted a lot of the time. Makes classic car ownership so much more worthwhile when I can enjoy my car in peace! :D

I've ordered four new 195/70/14 Dunlop Streetresponse tyres, instead of persevering with the Maxxis 185/80/14s for any longer. I'll hopefully notice an appreciable improvement in grip, and road noise henceforth!

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:19 pm

Use continues this week, after destroying a tyre on my Subaru Legacy, and now having to wait for the new ones to arrive.

Meanwhile, the Scimitar has now had four new tyres fitted. I've done over 100 miles on them now, and I'm very impressed. Until now, I'd always stuck with the original tyre size, and thus a very restrictive selection of tyres, of poor origin. This time, I have changed all four, in favour of Dunlop Sport Responses, which I'm really delighted with. The car rides significantly better, despite them being lower profile, there's a very limited amount of tyre noise now (was a bit noisy before), and the grip levels have improved a great deal. I did prefer the way that the car looked with taller tyres, but the wider ones sit very nicely on the wheels. I'd certainly highly recommend the Dunlops, which were not bad value at all, at around £65 each, fitted.

Beyond this, I'm back to losing my rear indicator, so I've bought a new bulb holder, in an attempt to rectify the issue. Flasher unit is pretty new and seems fine under test. Just seems to be another useless bulb holder. Unfortunately noticed the car is leaking around the boot aperture now, so I'll need to trace that leak.

Overall though, things are ticking along quite nicely. I've done an air filter change, as the one I fitted recently had collapsed, and the car is now running noticeably better.

Manifolds remain a perennial pain, but I plan to finally change them in the summer. Other than that, I've ordered a new gearbox mount, which I'll fit once my dissertation is submitted, and that should eliminate the judder I'm experiencing when pulling away with a warm car.

Finally, the handbrake, once again, is becoming increasingly useless, so that's another job to be getting on with, when I have time.

Brake master cylinder swap has been a success, and the car now has a good pedal, and pulls up very well.

(Yes, the wheel nuts look atrocious, and the car desperately needs a wash)

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:28 pm

No photos, but I've been on a bit of a parts-buying binge today, consisting of a set of four Koni adjustable shocks, a new full clutch kit, and new rear wheel cylinders. I'll get a new wheel cylinder fitted some night this week, and the other parts can wait until I have more spare time. :D

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:37 pm

FrazzleTC wrote: Finally, the handbrake, once again, is becoming increasingly useless, so that's another job to be getting on with, when I have time.
It's always worth bearing in mind that as the rear brakes are manually-adjusted, the handbrake doesn't auto-adjust like most modern cars, so it does need occasional tweaking, to keep in peak condition.

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:44 pm

That's very true, Roger! :D I'll certainly check, but I think that a stretched cable may be to blame! We shall soon find out! :)

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:46 am

Lower profile tyres are better looking I think....
As for the rear lights... change them to the Bulgarian trailer lights. And it's an acceptable mod especially as you are using the car daily.

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!

Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Post by Rev Light » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:22 am

Where did you source the Konis from? And how much?

Cheers

Steve H

SE5a 'Fancier'

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks Greeny! I prefer the look of it now, too. I'll look into the Bulgarian lights. Bit of soldering in the meantime, and I've got working indicators again!

Steve, I bought them from a bloke on facebook who was breaking a car with them! :D

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:36 am

FrazzleTC wrote: Steve, I bought them from a bloke on facebook who was breaking a car with them! :D
Yes, I thought they must have been secondhand, as AFAIK Konis for Scimitars haven't been listed new for some years. If you can find some, they are very good dampers though, with a good smooth ride. :)

....Roger

Return to “Project Progress”