1979 Scimitar SE6A in daily use

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Re: 1979 Scimitar SE6A in daily use

Post by philhoward » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:09 am

Your juddering when warm could be the clutch but I'd try a new gearbox mount first. They get soaked in oil and turn into a blob of very soft rubber.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:54 am

Agreed, great to see it being used regularly and in the manner that was intended :D Lovely scenery too, well photographed!

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:11 pm

...Those wobbly French things would certainly slow you down! I also love to read of them being used - congrats. on a great trip & best wishes for this next rally...

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks everyone for all of your positive comments! Glad that people approve of it being used regularly, and as intended!

In February, one of the highlights was getting to drive the car around the abandoned steel works which a friend has recently purchased for his business. A photo of this is below, please excuse how filthy the car is!

Last week saw the car dragged out from its shed where it's been for the last three weeks due to one thing and another. I have used the car a bit more sparingly since January because of the huge amounts of salt on local roads, and also the snow. However. when it was out, I did get some decent miles done, and always cleaned the car off underneath before putting it away again. Unfortunately, when getting the car out last week, I discovered that one of the front brakes had stuck, so I got it freed off, and decided that the best thing to do was to press the car into use. After 100 miles, I took the front wheels off, greased the trunnions, and any other grease points, before then dismantling the front brakes, cleaning them, and refitting. I've noticed an improvement in braking, and there's no wobble under braking, caused by a pad which wasn't sitting quite as it should, and also due in part to having cleaned up the disc faces.

I've been using the car everyday, once more, and have covered quite a few miles already. It never fails to put a smile on my face, though my bank balance has suffered substantial attacks. It has been used for commuting to and from uni, taking rubbish to the tip, and also for just going out driving for the sake of it, at the weekend.

As always, there are many jobs to do.
I've bought a new rear wiper arm, which, will be fitted this week, as soon as it arrives.
I'm hoping to fit a replacement aerial soon.
An oil service will be needed quite imminently.
Further waxoyling
Investigate the now intermittent fuel gauge
Finally, look into why it is leaking washer fluid out of the rear washer when parked with the nose of the car facing uphill. :?

I expect I'll end up using the car a massive amount this year.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:59 pm

FrazzleTC wrote: Unfortunately, when getting the car out last week, I discovered that one of the front brakes had stuck, so I got it freed off, and decided that the best thing to do was to press the car into use. After 100 miles, I took the front wheels off, greased the trunnions, and any other grease points, before then dismantling the front brakes, cleaning them, and refitting. I've noticed an improvement in braking, and there's no wobble under braking, caused by a pad which wasn't sitting quite as it should, and also due in part to having cleaned up the disc faces.
That's why I don't normally SORN my cars over the winter. I reckon that it's much better to take it for a run periodically, (whenever there's a break in the worst of the weather), and keep everything freed-up, rather than letting it fester. There's no point in saving £100 in tax, and then having to spend perhaps £150 repairing the brakes (or whatever).

Nice photos too (particularly the B&W) :)

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:29 pm

It’s been a couple of months since the last update.

In that time, the car has continued to be used, but as the weather’s improved, I’ve attended to a few more jobs.

First of all, the car had another oil service shortly after the last update. New filters, too.

I’ve painted the whole chassis in two coats of POR15, which I’ve found to be absolutely brilliant, during my ongoing Rover P6 restoration. It will be fully painted once more, and subsequently waxoyled over the summer.

As the MOT was looming, I saw fit to replace the handbrake tensioner which had failed. It makes life so much less stressful with a good handbrake. New cables are required though, so I shall need to order those in the next few weeks.

In addition to this, the car lost right hand indicators, so I had to re-solder the rear bulb holder, and that has solved the problem for the last few weeks, at least. Will see how this lasts.

One of my brake lights was working as a sidelight, and vice versa. This has now been rectified too.

The exhaust manifold collectors have been welded, yet again, but really, are irreparable, so replacements will be sought over the summer. It already has tubulars, so I suspect that stainless tubulars are the way forward.

As a result of my work, and checking everything, the car got an advisory-free MOT last week, and I’m delighted. 
Rear foglight holders are rotten, so I’ll need to sort those out, this year.

The intermittent fuel gauge appears to have cured itself.

I’ve fitted a new rear wiper arm, since all of the photos shown of the rear of the car were taken. 

Wheel nuts should be painted this week, if the weather holds.
So, now that’s the maintenance covered, what have I been using the car for?

Well, it’s been sharing daily drive duties pretty evenly with my Rover 75. However, the 75’s suffered yet another clutch master cylinder failure, and thus, the Scimitar is now my daily drive, once again. And, really, I’m thoroughly enjoying it, as ever.

For drive it day, I went down to the Lake District, attended an impromptu show at Dalemain House, then headed around Ullswater, over the Kirkstone Pass, and then onto some of the quieter roads, with some friends in their classics.

I also attended the RSSOC Moffat weekend, as a day visitor on the Saturday and Sunday. I enjoyed meeting lots of fellow owners, and learning more about the cars. After the second day, I went for an enjoyable drive along the Beeftub Road, which is a bit of a favourite. Quite quiet, so reasonable progress was made.

On the May Bank Holiday, one of my friends brought his Lotus Elan (M100) up for the day, and we went for a 100 mile blast around Dumfries and Galloway. It was fascinating to draw comparisons between the two cars, which approach fibreglass motoring from different perspectives.

Since then, I’ve just been using, and enjoying the car, and, as it’s passed its MOT for another 12 months, I can see it being used just as extensively this year. It’s been lugging Rover P6 parts all over the place, and really, it’s as practical as any classic I’ve owned.

As ever, here are loads of photographs!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:44 pm

The car looks great, and it's in lovely surroundings up there, too. Great photographs! :D Also the Lotus makes a good match, colour-wise :)

That's an interesting set of ramps! :lol:

....Roger

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:36 pm

Thanks Roger! I always take a camera out with me, in case I see a photo opportunity.

The ramps are at my friend's yard where I work on my cars, and store a couple of them. Not ideal, but they are useful.

caravan1963

Post by caravan1963 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:25 pm

Very nice looking car, well done

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:21 pm

Goodness me, it's been a while since I last updated this!
There's been a reasonable amount of driving done since the last report, with the car being used daily, on and off. With the particularly wet weather we had at the end of the year, and for much of 2016, I've not been using the car quite as much, because I was finding the leaks a little irritating, at points.
However, I'm still very much a fan of the car. Since the last update, I have taken it to just one show, which was at Kirkcudbright, at the end of August. The weather was spectacular, and the car behaved impeccably! It was treated to another oil change shortly after this, with trunnions greased, as per.

This year, in the last two weeks, I've spent a bit of time on maintenance. Unfortunately, the battery which was fairly new when I bought the car became utterly useless latterly. As a result, I nipped into Halfords, and bought one of their range, for £31 with trade discount. This gave me instant starting, and the car has never failed to start since. However, just a day after fitting the new battery, I slowed to let a car out, and the pedal went soft, so as I'd only travelled about a mile, I turned around, and headed home. When I had a look around the car, there was no evidence of there being any brake fluid leaks at the wheels. So, attentions turned to under the bonnet, and the culprit was identified as a faulty master cylinder. As some of you might well have seen, I ended up buying one from Corky, and it is excellent. Fitting was fairly straightforward, though unfortunately, I broke a bleed screw, on one of the rear wheel cylinders. However, all was soon sorted, brakes bled, and since then, it has very decent brakes again.

On a completely different note, as I've mentioned previously in my reports on my car, I've been trying very hard to find out more about the car's past. Well, the car appeared in Practical Classics, under readers' cars at the back end of 2015. Out of the blue, about a week ago, I got a message from the editor of Practical Classics, telling me that someone had got in touch with the magazine, giving me a name of its former keeper. I'd previously done a V888 form, but as the man goes by the name Bill, rather than William, I'd found nothing about him online. However, through the power of the internet, I made contact with him last week. So, he finally telephoned last night, to tell me about his experiences with the car.
From this I discovered many interesting facts. He bought the car in 1980 and kept it until 1992. The purchase was prompted by the need to drive to Corby regularly, from Aberdeenshire, and the car fitted the bill perfectly. He recalls that he had the stainless steel exhaust fitted in 1981, and after checking it, it's the same item that he fitted. He also had the tubular manifolds fitted in the late 80s, and recounted catching one on a kerb, which is probably the reason that I am constantly patching that one. He told me that the car was exceptionally reliable in his ownership, only ever failing to proceed once, for reasons to this day unknown. He says he cherished the car, and that he was a member of the RSSOC. It was originally bought by him in Elgin, and he was apparently quite apprehensive about its purchase initially, with all of his friends saying it was a 'bitsa'. He also told me that he had two large fans on it, as well as a pair of foglights, but unfortunately the foglights were long-gone by the time that I bought the car. He is going to send me some old photographs of the car for my perusal.
He sold the car in 1992 for £4000, so it's amazing that it had got a lot cheaper by the time I got it.

Also, my car appeared in 'Slice' as 'the unknown Scimitar' after being spotted at the Kirkcudbright show, so I must identify myself as the owner of the car!

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:25 pm

Glad you got the brake problem sorted. Did you wire up the brake failure switch ?

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:34 pm

I haven't wired it up as yet, but it's something I'll be doing in due course, as the onus was on getting the car back on the road as quickly as possible, in this instance. :)

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:14 pm

When you do, you'll need to cut off the original plug from your wiring loom. You'll be left with two wires. Pare back the insulation, twist the cores together and fit a female spade crimp.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimiTom » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:56 pm

Great to see the car out and about and being well used, Fraser! Those photos of the car in such a scenic setting are absolutely stunning!

Current: 'Boffin' (1971 SE5a)
Previous: 'Sunshine' (1980 SE6b)

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:37 pm

Thanks Tom! Hopefully get a chance to catch up with you properly soon! Are you doing the Borders weekend at Moffat?

Return to “Project Progress”