1979 Scimitar SE6A in daily use

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

FrazzleTC

Re: 1979 Scimitar SE6A in daily use

Post by FrazzleTC » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:59 pm

Thanks for all of the positive comments!
Roger- I'll give that a shot, with the radio, and report back! Anyone got any suggestions as to a decent, period-ish-looking radio? Not bothered about being able to connect an iPod, as I don't have one.

Tom- Thanks very much indeed! It's getting there, slowly, and I'm hoping to have time off, at some point, to make it to a noggin, with the car!

Yes, I most certainly am! :) The P6 is off the road, and likely will be for 18 months or so, while I sort things out, but it'll certainly reappear, at some point! I do sorely miss driving it! I still have those headrests, which I meant to give to a friend for you to collect! I'll get round to it soon, hopefully! Nice to hear you've been got a Scimitar, too! I did think I recognised the username, when I was reading project threads.

shedtune

Post by shedtune » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:44 pm

Cheers on the headrests - I am up in Cumbria in August if that helps?! -I shall start on the P6 this winter-a year behind schedule! hey ho

http://shedtunecars.blogspot.co.uk/
"all the best things start in the shed"

http://shedtune.blogspot.co.uk/
"mid life crisis"

1973 Mini 998 -project ,1972 Rover P6- project

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:35 pm

No problem at all! I'll be down in Cumbria for the Dalemain show, and can pass them on to a friend who lives in Ulverston.

The Scimitar continues to clock up the miles, and is doing well.
I've finally received an acknowledgement from the DVLA of my V888 form, and should apparently receive all of the previous keeper details very soon.

I decided that I really didn't like the modern plates that my car came with, as they ruined the period look, so I did some research, asked a few friends, and found a company that would do reflective plates, as my car would have originally had, in the correct period font, for under £20. Ordered those, and they arrived very promptly. Fitted them to the car, and I reckon they're a vast improvement.
In other news, I've finally replaced the cracked rear foglight lens, courtesy of Geraint, from this site. The car has developed a few leaks, around the scuttle, again, which I've tracked to the windscreen seal, which has been replaced, in the last couple of years. So, I'm going to be using some sealant in an attempt to prevent wet feet, while driving, and to stop the passenger footwell getting wet, too.
One of the front tyres seems to lose a small amount of air, regularly, so I'll be taking it to have the tyre removed, and the inside of the wheel cleaned, in a bid to solve the problem.

I'm going to be servicing the car, in the coming month, too, and perhaps replacing the cork rocker cover gaskets, as they do weep quite a lot, which has annoyed one or two friends when I've parked at their houses. The car hasn't been to many shows, as I either don't have time, or can't be bothered to pay to display my own car, or to commit to booking it. It'll be down at Dalemain show, all being well, but that's about it. I met a Scimitar owner while at work in Kirkcudbright, the other week, who chatted about cars for a spell, so if you're on here, I'm sorry I can't remember your name, but good luck with your GTC resto. I've been using the car a lot for commuting, for fun runs out, and even for mundane tasks like taking bits of Rover to the tip, etc!
As ever, here are a few photos, sporting the new plates, and one showing the car doing the sort of thing it does, from time to time,

tony.idle
RSSOC Member

Post by tony.idle » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:41 pm

That's a nice car :D

After ensuring the rocker cover gasket surfaces are flat use sealant only on the cover before fitting the gasket then use spring washers on the cover screws. Tighten enough to flatten the spring washers + 1/4 turn. After a few hundred miles slacken slightly & repeat the tightening process.

Regards

Tony

Embrace your feminine side - RTFM

RSSOC 2332 since 1981
Past: 2x5A, GTC. Current: SST, Smart, Hymer Motorhome, Rialto, Robin, Bug, MZ Skorpion x2.

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Thanks Tony!

I'll certainly heed your advice, when I get round to tackling that job!

In the meantime, I've bought a load of 20/50, and both air, and oil filters, in anticipation of a quick service, this weekend, hopefully! Got a great deal on some Comma oil, which was less than £40, delivered, for 18 litres.
I've used the car for commuting, again, this week, but took the opportunity to get out for a nice run, in the sunshine, yesterday evening. I've also adjusted the throttle cable, which at last means I have 100% of the throttle movement at my disposal, which has made a noticeable difference to performance.
Here are one or two photos showing the new foglight lens.

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm

I spent August, continuing to commute on a near-daily basis, in the Scimitar, in addition to attending the show at Dalemain, and my favourite local one, at Kirkcudbright, where it was enjoyable on the road run, too!
The service will be taking place this week, as the car has now done nearly 4000 miles in my custody.
As a result, there are quite a few jobs mounting up.
First of all, the car has been exceptionally sore on its front tyres, and, as a result, they'll need changed in the next 500 miles or so. I've decided to change them this week, with a good quality pair.
The front suspension has developed the usual SE6 sag, and, as a result, is in dire need of new front springs, which I'm in the process of purchasing, and, will make sure are fitted in the next week, as I don't like working with springs myself.
Waxoyling the chassis properly is next on my agenda, and, again, I hope to do this as soon as possible, so that I can use it a bit over the winter, with a fairly clear conscience!
A replacement radio, and, an aerial will be purchased in the next couple of days, too!
I might even have a major Scimitar-cleaning session, with the clay bar, and so on, if I have time, this coming week.
There are other jobs to do, but they can wait, until funds are greater. Namely, it's becoming a bit smoky on start-up, and on the overrun, which I believe is due to the valve stem seals, so I reckon a refurbished pair of cylinder heads could be on the agenda, in the next few months! :D

As ever, here are a few photos!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:11 pm

FrazzleTC wrote: First of all, the car has been exceptionally sore on its front tyres, and, as a result, they'll need changed in the next 500 miles or so. I've decided to change them this week, with a good quality pair.
The front suspension has developed the usual SE6 sag, and, as a result, is in dire need of new front springs, which I'm in the process of purchasing, and, will make sure are fitted in the next week, as I don't like working with springs myself.
As ever, here are a few photos!
From the photos, the front suspension does look a bit low. One thing to bear in mind is that if the suspension is low, it changes the front suspension alignment, which could be at least partly to blame for your tyre wear. So it would be worth getting it checked, after you've fitted the new springs.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Since the last update, I've done quite a few bits and pieces.
I managed to do a quick service, the weekend before the Manchester show, consisting of oil and filters, and not much else, due to time constraints.
I bought a set of new springs, and the front ones were fitted in time for the trip to the show. They've made a huge difference to the drive, as the turn-in has improved markedly, the ride is better, and I think, once the springs have settled, the car will look a lot better. Already, there's a big improvement. It's also had a new pair of front tyres.

Finally, the rear shock absorber mounts, into the rear axle were showing signs of stress cracks, so they've been welded heavily, and reinforced, to prevent any problems. Next job is to do some rust-proofing, then it's time for winter.

Then, with new front springs, at the Manchester Show.

I've now done around 4500 miles in the car, and I can't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon! Other jobs which have cropped up in the last few days include my rear wiper snapping along its arm, so I need to locate a replacement pretty quickly. I also want to replace my electric aerial, which fell off a while ago, and I'm beginning to miss having a radio, and the other issue which has reared its ugly head, once again, is the leak into the passenger footwell, which I'd term significant, this morning.
There's the start of a blow from the bottom of the tubular manifold, on the passenger side again, so I'll be looking for a replacement, at some point.

As ever, always plenty to keep me busy, but I'm getting on top of everything that needs done, slowly.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:21 am

I have had a few cracks in the lower manifold. I surprised myself enormously by making a good quality welded repair. even though the metal is so thin in that area. A fully sealed exhaust system sounds so much nicer!

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:48 pm

I've not done quite as many miles since the last update, due to my distributor failing rather spectacularly. I was driving along quite happily, and turned off the main road, to head into the village where I live, when the car just died as I was driving along, with no warning and I was left with a car which wouldn't start. Initially I checked all of the simple things like any connections which had worked loose, checked there was fuel, and it was when I tried to get a spark that I realised there was a problem. Looked inside the distributor, and everything looked okay, until I realised that the shaft was spinning freely when I moved it. I initially feared the worst, that the drive in the engine had failed, and a big expense loomed. So, I got it recovered to where I store it, and as soon as I removed the distributor, realised that a piece of metal had come loose from the top of the dizzy, landing in the lower portion where the sprung weights are. Needless to say there were many pieces of broken metal inside. So, after a bit of searching, I got a distributor from a friend, transplanted my points, and condenser into it, cleaned it all up, and refitted it. After realising that I'd got it 180 degrees out, I changed all of the leads around, and, minutes later, I had a running car. Adjusted the timing, and now it's back to running very well, with plenty of mid-range punch.
The new front springs have settled a lot, and the car is a lot nicer to drive than it's ever previously been, as a result. I've managed to sort the leak into the passenger footwell, but now have a bit of leak into the driver's one, which I'll be tackling soon.
Other than this, I've ordered some rocker gaskets, because the stains on the driveway are quite noticeable, and friends are now commenting when I visit about the stains left by the Scimitar. Hopefully I can lessen this a little.
I'm continuing to use the car every day, and it's still living outside. I'm seriously impressed, overall, having run a few different classics as daily drives, in recent years, though I have gone a bit soft, and have run a Rover 75 a lot, in the last year or two. Because it's still causing issues, with rubbish clutch components, the Scimitar is doing a brilliant job.
I think I'll miss using it daily once the poor weather is here, but I really do want to get it off the road to do some jobs, in the next month or so.

Here are a few recent photos.

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:00 am

Lovely car that is proving to be a good servant. They certainly do seem to enjoy being used..............

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:46 am

It's a lot of fun!
Over the last few weeks, the car has mainly been in its car port, because I had uni hand-ins, and then transporting friends all over the place over the Christmas period. Anyway, it had been sitting about a week, when I went to head out for a proper run yesterday, and a combination of the damp, and the fact it was extremely cold meant that getting it started was a nuisance.
Since the last update, I've bought a new aerial, I'm midway through sourcing a new wiper arm, and have a few other wee niggles to attend to. I've also waxoyled as much as I can, but will do a better job once the good weather returns.
I had a proper blast yesterday, and the car was going beautifully. As long as it doesn't snow, I'm taking it down to the Yorkshire Dales for the weekend, on Friday!

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:05 pm

Well, the car did exceptionally well, touring around the Lakes a bit on Saturday, being thrashed around Yorkshire on the Sunday, and then driving back up through the Lake District, on the Monday morning, very early.

I have bought a colossal amount of silica gel, to prevent the car getting damp when it's not in use for a few days. This has really helped the car's tendency to mist-up, inside. This made a huge difference with the car sitting outside all weekend, in very varied weather.
I was a little unsure as to how the car would behave on very slippy roads, but it proved to be fairly sure-footed, as ever, and thus, I was able to press-on, and enjoy my weekend away. I covered around 400 miles, with absolutely no issues, and I didn't use a ridiculous amount of fuel. The car seems to really benefit from regular, and fairly proper use. The battery, despite being less than a year old, appears to be pretty useless, with the car needing bump-started on the Sunday morning, after a hard-frost.
On the roads around Hawes, I was able to really enjoy the car for the first time in ages; driving just for the fun of driving, rather than commuting, or going to the shops, etc. I was with a large group of my friends under the banner of Young Guns Classics; a club for young classic car owners. I did quite a few more miles than many of the group, taking in Buttertubs pass, and many other excellent roads. I even ended up stuck in a queue of about 60 2CVs, and, it seems I was caught on video. If you follow this link, and watch from 30 seconds or so, you'll see me driving past. We went back the other way rather more briskly.

However, as always, there is an increasing list of work to be done.
First of all, my dip switch now flaps about, and thus, on very bumpy roads, the car flashes its headlights, which is somewhat disconcerting for those that I'm following. I think a new stalk is the best course, though I am experimenting with springs, to save what's there.
Secondly, the clutch. When the car gets properly warmed up, there's a lot of judder in reverse, and a bit in first. It also slips while changing from 3rd to 4th if accelerating very hard. As such, a new clutch will be on the agenda.
The tubular manifolds blowing incessantly are beginning to grate, and thus, I'll get them welded up, or replace them with stainless tubulars, if I feel a bit wealthy, which is unlikely.
I would like to try to get the front wing's paint tidied up, and will likely just touch it in.
Finally, I need to replace one of my headlights, and I think that I need some spotlights (square 8s) for night driving on quiet roads.
It's also going to get an oil service imminently.

So, for this next month, I'm planning to use the car a good bit more, if it's not horrible weather-wise, and I am hoping to do one of the heritage runs as part of the Monte Carlo Historique, in it, from Paisley, to Dumfries.

Anyway, first of all, here's the video, where you can see me driving past, amongst a colossal number of 2CVs. (Notice how easily the Scimitar is pulling up the hill compared to the 2CVs)
http://youtu.be/2NJF4SAzbAg?t=31s

Here are several photos. Parked ones taken by me. Driving ones taken by a passenger.

As you can probably tell, I am enjoying my Scimitar even more than I expected to, and it rarely sits idle. I do rave about it to my friends. 8) :lol:

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:29 am

I'd not seen this thread before, Really enjoyed reading through it. I'm a big believer in using classics as much as you can and its great to see other cars like yours being used all year round.

MickP

Post by MickP » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:17 am

I too like to see "classics" getting properly used and those roads look just right for Scimitar driving, exactly the kind that I could not keep away from when I got my SE6a :D . Frightening how much petrol you can get through right enough :shock: . However, it is very good for finding all the little problems.

I will not pollute your thread with my pictures but here is a link to mine if you want a look http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... =75#p60295

Michael.

SOLD: 1978 SE6a Auto.
1997 Ducati 900SS - Last carb. model.
SOLD: 1960 BSA Bantam D7 - more "fun" than the Ducati.
1998 Honda CG125 - great in slow traffic.
1981 Suzuki SB200 2-stroke twin - undergoing rebuild.
Gallery Project
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.” - Aldous Huxley.

Return to “Project Progress”