1979 Scimitar SE6A in daily use

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Re: 1979 Scimitar SE6A

Post by philhoward » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 am

FoMoCo = Motorcraft - both names used by Ford for their "own" parts...

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks for the clarification, Phil. Unfortunately, however, the holes didn't line up, and the arc of the centre doesn't line up with the new kit, unfortunately, Any recommendations as to which kit to buy? :)

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:37 am

The fan not kicking in will do the getting hot!
I have the fan on my C running on by moving the supply in the fuse box from its factory position to number 13 on the box which is a perminant live.

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!

Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

zeb

Post by zeb » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:41 pm

Im sure Ive seen pics here and there of your lovely Rover 2000.
Your Scimitar is being given the same care and attention you have given to your Rover, top work!!

PeterSE6a

Post by PeterSE6a » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:37 pm

Looks like it was a good buy and a nice colour too.

Se6a owner. Other toys include..... Skoda Octavia vRS, BMW z4 , Jaguar STR ,Kawasaki ZRX1100r Triumph Tiger 1050 and a Yamaha RD 400 ......in boxes :-)

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:03 pm

PeterSE6a wrote:Looks like it was a good buy and a nice colour too.
Absolutely! :mrgreen:

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:06 am

Zeb, you'll likely have seen my 2000 on forums, or out and about! Unfortunately, welding has crept up on me, so, it's going to be off the road for a year or so, until I can get everything sorted out. With a student budget, I'm limited, but, I can guarantee it'll be back on the road, eventually!

Thanks, Peter! The colour scheme was a major factor in the purchase of this particular one, I must confess.

I've now fitted the red rotor arm, and I've started on fitting the fan. We've used a four pin relay, and have mounted the fan using a section of Dexion, between the supports for the spare wheel tray. This has led to the fan being very rigid in the way that it's fixed. Initially, the plan was to use the car's original fan circuit, and have a manual override, but I'll be using the Kenlowe thermostat, and switch, instead, I've decided. This way, I can actually rely on the fan cutting in and out correctly, as I'm not very keen on the connections to the original fan temperature sensor.

I've also spent a good wee while cleaning up the interior, and it's beginning to look a little fresher, as a result.

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:00 am

...That does look very 'clean'.....nice work!

lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:36 am

It looks superb!!!

loz

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks for your positive comments! :D
Since the last update, I've been using the car for commuting to and from work, and it's been very pleasant indeed. In the last two and a half weeks, I've covered just over 1000 miles, which seems to be more than the car has done since the early 2000s, as there are no MOTs for the car online, until 2012.
My replacement of various parts continued, with a new ballast being fitted, the handbrake being adjusted, again, but, more significantly, I finally worked out why the car was so awkward when it was warm, which was as a result of the mixture being far too lean. The timing has also been advanced a little, which has, again, improved matters.
Prior to solving the poor running when hot, I took the car down to Barbon Hillclimb, as a spectator, and then went a tour around the area, before staying in the Lakes overnight, and doing some more driving there on the Sunday, with a couple of friends. As long as I wasn't queuing, or travelling very slowly, the car went very well indeed, and I really realised how pleased I was, overall, with the Scimitar as a package. My friends, who all have classics, all got runs in it, and one or two are now thinking they'll buy one, at some point, which is good news. Fuel and oil consumption were very reasonable, and I didn't feel exhausted, despite covering 350-400 miles in a weekend.

Since then, I've used the car for daily duties, including commuting, and, I've finally got it running the way I want it. There are a few jobs left to do, including sorting the passenger side electric window, thoroughly waxoyling the chassis, and, also, I need to investigate a very very slight rumble, which I think could be the beginning of a failing UJ on the propshaft, but, I'll see how it develops before tackling it. I've now put grease into most of the grease points. I also want to check the diff oil level, and the gearbox level, before long. I reckon I'll do a full service in another 1500 miles, and see how things stand, after that. I discovered that there were blows from the manifolds, but, since i need the car on the road, at the moment, I've 'sorted' these with exhaust paste, but, will get the manifolds off, and welded properly, when I've got more time. Finally, I've sent off a V888 form, as I really would like to find out more about the car's past. Does anyone know the car, or remember seeing it at events in the past? It's definitely belonged to a Scimitar club member, in the past.

Overall, I'm thoroughly enjoying Scimitar ownership, and last night, decided to join the RSSOC, as I reckon that it sounds well worth it!
Here are some photos of the car in use, to show where it's been! :D

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Looks good, nice photos, and welcome to the club! :D

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:19 am

A further update on progress.
The overdrive was becoming increasingly intermittent, so I decided to check the overdrive's level, which turned out to be pretty close to spot-on, at which point I discovered the electrical connection was poor, so I've crimped that up, and since then, I've had a perfectly functioning overdrive.
I also managed to find a phone number for one of the car's previous owners, so after leaving a message on his answer phone, found out more about the car's past. He'd sold the car to the chap I'd got it from, and had bought it along with an MGB. He'd only done a handful of miles, but had spent a fair bit of time, and money on MOTing the car, prior to selling it on. Prior to that, it had been owned by a friend of his, for ten years, during which time, it had been off the road a lot, but, had received a new gearbox, and various other parts. It's had a full brake rebuild, with new discs, callipers, etc, lots of front suspension work, and various other bits, in the last 18 months. So, a very worthwhile contact, and interesting to hear from him. As soon as I get the results from my V888 form, I'll be sending letters to all previous owners of the car.

Other than that, I've clocked up around 300 miles since the last update, and haven't noticed too many issues arising. The car is keeping its cool, in the warm weather, which is great. Unfortunately, I have discovered another new leak, which means that the passenger footwell fills with rather a lot of water, if there's a downpour, much to the amusement (she claims), of my passenger. I've removed the inside of the glovebox, and slapped some talcum powder about, to try to trace the leak, the next time that it rains.

The radio aerial fell out of the wing the other day, so I'll replace that with a manual one. I also intend to replace the radio fairly soon. First of all, anyone got any hints as to how to remove the electric aerial (what's left of it), from inside the driver's wing, and, also, does the dashboard need to come out, to remove the radio?

I took it to a show, on Sunday, where it got a few comments. Drove very well on the way there and back, making brisk progress, as always.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:44 am

FrazzleTC wrote: The radio aerial fell out of the wing the other day, so I'll replace that with a manual one. I also intend to replace the radio fairly soon. First of all, anyone got any hints as to how to remove the electric aerial (what's left of it), from inside the driver's wing, and, also, does the dashboard need to come out, to remove the radio?
Sounds good - You should find that regular use will do far more good than harm - everything should run much more smoothly. :) It's looking very smart too! :D

With regard to your questions above, to remove the electric aerial, you need to take off the side panel in the footwell (screws round the edge).

If the radio is the original one, then you take off the knobs and fascia from the front of the radio, then open the glovebox and take out the inner liner (one screw each side). Then you can reach in through the glovebox, and extract the radio from the back.

....Roger

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

Re: 1979 Scimitar SE6A in daily use

Post by ScimiTom » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:37 am

Great progress, Fraser! I'd missed this entire thread until this morning. I'm delighted the car is coming on nicely, and look forward to seeing you with it at the noggin sometime! :)

Tom

Current: 'Boffin' (1971 SE5a)
Previous: 'Sunshine' (1980 SE6b)

shedtune

Re: 1979 Scimitar SE6A in daily use

Post by shedtune » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:05 am

Ah Frazzle of the P6 Club?...youve been tempted by the Plastic Fantastic as well!...my P6 is next on the list to get back on the road!

http://shedtunecars.blogspot.co.uk/
"all the best things start in the shed"

http://shedtune.blogspot.co.uk/
"mid life crisis"

1973 Mini 998 -project ,1972 Rover P6- project

Return to “Project Progress”