1979 Scimitar SE6A in daily use

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

FrazzleTC

1979 Scimitar SE6A in daily use

Post by FrazzleTC » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:34 pm

Just last week, I spotted my particular SE6A for sale. I'd wanted a Scimitar for many years, having had family friends who had an SE5A, and an SS1, for years when I was younger. Having had a succession of classic Rovers, and wanting to get away from being associated purely with Rovers, at the age of 22, I found myself looking on the usual sites for a nice SE5A for a while, but realised how affordable SE6s seemed, and, ended up looking at all manner of examples, from the comfort of my computer desk. This particular SE6A really caught my eye, as it was just 150 miles away, rather than on the South coast, as so many cars seem to be. It has had a lot of the usual work done, and looked rather appealing, to my mind, in this colour combination. I didn't have time to view it, so I asked a friend to view it on my behalf, whose opinion I trust. He reported that it was a nice, honest car, in good overall condition, and lived up to my expectations. So, I bought it blind, and arranged transport. The first time I saw it was when a transporter arrived with it this afternoon!
The seller's appraisal of the car was accurate, and it's as I expected.
It's not currently MOT'd, so I've only been able to drive it on the private lane where it's stored, but it goes very well, stops straight, and seems very nicely sorted, overall! It's got a stainless exhaust system, and fuel tank, four new tyres, a recored radiator, new battery, new ignition system, a rebuilt carb, electric fan, new clutch master cylinder and has had a lot of front suspension work. Bodily, it's very nice, though obviously not perfect. The interior is very tidy, with just slightly damp carpets to contend with, as ever.
Overall, I'm hugely impressed.
As always, there is work to be done, and, after today, there are a few things to deal with as soon as possible, to get an MOT.The main point is that the rear shocks seem to be leaking. They're needing replaced, so I wondered if anyone has any recommendations as to where I could get a pair relatively cheaply, at this stage? Other than that, I need to work my way through the electrics, as there are a couple of bad earths. I also need to fit a new flasher unit. A good clean is in order, as well. Reverse gear is a little awkward to engage, and the gearbox, as a whole, just feels a bit stiff, so I think the gear linkages need oiled up, and, if that doesn't help, perhaps some light adjustment.

Sorry for such a lengthy first post, but, here are some photos! :D
Last edited by FrazzleTC on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scimher

Re: 1979 Scimitar SE6A

Post by Scimher » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:45 am

Nice car & hopefully worked in your favour, costwise, with no current MOT - & doesn't sound too much to do before you get one, either!

caravan1963

Post by caravan1963 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:37 am

:goodpost: Looks very nice, I like the colour, looks well against the Rover
Good luck with it and hope it lives up to your expectations,
What Scimitar doesn't need work doing to it 8)
All the best
Terry

mattscimmy
RSSOC Member

Post by mattscimmy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:47 am

Well done looks very smart.
I bought mine unseen form 150 miles away.
Re the gear change, mine was almost impossible to begin with but after about 300 miles it's fine now except reverse, and even that is improving. There is a thread on here about fitting rose joints to the selector rods if you need further improvement to the change.
Looking forward to more pics as you get it to how you want it.
All the best
Matt

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:15 am

Thanks everyone. I also forgot to mention that the handbrake is pretty dire, so I'll try to adjust that in the next few days. Matt, thanks for the information on the gearbox. The forward gears aren't bad, but, like yours, reverse is pretty awkward, to say the least! I'll have a look at that thread. I'll get plenty of additional photos in coming weeks.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:19 am

Adjustment is not likely to be the problem. Typically the handbrake mechanism inside the drum seizes. Fairly straighforward to strip, clean and re-assemble.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:09 am

I've bought nearly all the Scims I've owned unseen. Most were pretty much as described.

Yours looks like a nice car. They're very easy to work on, it's pretty much agricultural engineering.

Shocks often pop up for sale on eBay, and quite often people on here will part with bits they've been hoarding. If you're looking for new, then GAZ are probably the cheapest (and one of the best) if you go direct (see the recommended suppliers section).

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

badger
RIP

Post by badger » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:07 am

Great to see it next to a proper car :w, you don't see too many SLi's these days - she looks in great condition for a small bumper 800. Your new Scim looks quite good too, they make good stable mates.

Carl Phillips.

SE 6A V8 Auto, Rover 3500S, Rover Vitesse, Classic Mini, VW Camper and Citroen C5

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:22 pm

The job for the start of this week is to take the drums apart to clean, and free-off the handbrake. Thanks for all of the encouraging comments! I'm hoping that the weather will improve, so that I can work through things a bit more quickly.
I've reluctantly advertised my 827 for sale, if anyone's interested.

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:52 am

Yesterday evening, I decided to investigate the handbrake issue. On opening the drums up, I was very surprised to see brand new shoes with virtually no wear. On further investigation, we discovered that one of the adjusters had a bolt in it, (driver's side) which was entirely the wrong thing for the job. The botcher had put a slight taper on it, but, alas, after finding a damaged adjuster from another car, the bolt/screw from that didn't fit correctly, and, on inspection, someone has stripped the threads in the adjuster. So, I've now ordered a new one from ebay, and hope it'll arrive in the next few days!
Here are a couple of photos. Other jobs to be done include waxoyling the chassis, as it's in great order, after attacking any flaky paint with a welding hammer, to ensure that it's as rot free as it first appeared.
More progress in the next few days, hopefully!

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:31 am

It's been ages since I updated my thread, with a combination of trying to get rid of another car, and university exams, things were a bit slower than intended. However, I now have some meaningful progress to report.
The car was presented for MOT, and passed, with just a few minor advisories. The rear shock absorbers were replaced with a pair bought from a forum member, and they've been terrific.
On Saturday, I taxed the car, and started using it. Since then I've covered just over 100 miles.
First thing I did once I got it home was to clean it up properly, again, to see exactly what I've got. It's certainly nothing like perfect, but it's a presentable car, which looks good when it's clean, though there are wee areas of micro blistering. In the miles I've done, I've been able to identify plenty of jobs which I intend to do, some much sooner than others. The first thing is that the overdrive needs its oil level topped up, as my overdrive is intermittent, at the moment. The other issue is that once the car gets warm, it's very difficult to drive, and it cuts out sporadically. I've decided, as a consequence, to fit electronic ignition, and a new coil. The car also seems to run a bit warm, particularly around town, so I've ordered an 82 degree thermostat, and a new electric fan, which is a universal fit one. I hope that these little jobs should lead to a much more useable car, and one which I can rely on to do long runs, without too many concerns.
Other issues that I hope to address fairly quickly include a non-functioning electric window on the passenger side, an electric aerial that never fully retracts, and I'd like to adjust the passenger door, so that it shuts better.
This evening I made a start on cleaning the engine bay, so that working on the car is a cleaner, and more pleasant experience, in coming weeks. Here are a couple of photos taken in the last couple of days. :D

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:15 am

Just out of interest what do you class as warm?

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!

Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

Taggers

Post by Taggers » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:34 am

Cutting out when warm is likely to be either the coil, or the fuel pipes being routed too close to the exhaust, I'd have thought.

Nice car.

Chris

1979 SE6A

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:54 am

I had a similar issue - cutting out and running like a pig when fully warm after about 5 miles or so but wouldn't happen on the driveway - it was a cracked carb spacer (the one with the breather pipe). Took 3 carbs to find that one..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

FrazzleTC

Post by FrazzleTC » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:20 am

Greeny, in terms of warm, it was about a centimetre above 90 degrees, on the gauge.

Chris, many thanks, and, the coil replacement has certainly improved matters.

Phil, thankfully there don't seem to be any issues around the spacer, that I could see.

Time for an update!
As mentioned in the last update, my Scimitar became rather awkward to drive, once warm, and was popping, and banging rather badly, as well as feeling somewhat gutless.
Yesterday evening, I went about trying to fit my new electronic ignition kit, only to discover it's a Motorcraft one, rather than one for a FoMoCo distributor. So, that plan was abandoned. However, I did reset the points gap, and cleaned the points. The next job was to set all of the plug gaps, and they were all a bit wide. In doing so, I managed to pull the inside out of one of my ignition leads, but, thankfully, there was a spare to hand. A new Lucas coil has also been fitted.

The next job to do, was to set the timing properly, as I felt that it was a bit retarded. Circa four degrees of advance, and it's unrecognisably better to drive. It's pulling far more sweetly from low revs, and feels a lot more settled.
On the getting warm front, it did it again, on my test drive last night, and, it seems that the electric fan the car came with is very intermittent. So, in addition to my new universal fan, I'm using a full Kenlowe kit, minus fan, so that I can manually override the fan, when I see traffic ahead. I will fit the temperature sensor too, but, generally, the temperature is spot-on while driving on the road, and getting the ram air effect. I've purchased a relay from ebay, too, and will take that directly off the battery. Ideally, I'd like to be able to let the fan kick-in, with the ignition off, so that after long drives, there's cooling long after I've stopped, as having boiled my P6 a couple of times, I'd rather not have a pair of head gaskets to do on the Scimitar.

Another job last night was to adjust the striker on the passenger door, as I was never very happy with the way that the passenger door sat. I'm now at the stage where I think it's acceptable, so I'll leave it there. I've also traced my irritating wind noise, to a new seal which doesn't seat quite the way it should on the passenger door frame, but, I think with some manipulation, I've solved the problem.
Overall, it feels like it's all coming together. I'm fitting a new red rotor arm when it arrives, this evening, along with the electric fan.
Further to this, I'm getting my local garage to adjust the way the exhaust hangs, as it's not seated quite the way it should be, and with some adjustment, it should be much better.
As ever, a few photos, to show how things are going. Also spent an hour or two, when I had a free moment, giving it a bit more of a clean.

Return to “Project Progress”