Well here goes!

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Miles Burnett
RSSOC Member

Re: Well here goes!

Post by Miles Burnett » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 pm

That's the trouble with Scimitars in France they are too spread out .Nice part of the country Oldconn I went to look at a CX over that way a couple of years ago.
The bodywork looks better from a distance. Quite a bit of garage rash from the long storage but I'm hoping it will polish up. Some chrome will clean up well but the bumpers need redoing.
I hope to bring over the replacement chassis this month ( bought through the forum) .
I want to do a good job of the rebuild but I also want to get on and drive her . I want a car I can trust to use on motorways, long or short journeys in any weather cruising at 80 . Does this sound reasonable? She's only 45yrs old after all!
The great thing about this forum is that is always encouraging but happy to take the Micky too.
Hopefully will keep steady progress and will post photos as it goes.

cookieboy
RSSOC Member

Post by cookieboy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:31 pm

I will be keen to see how your progress is going .

Currently scimitarless .

Miles Burnett
RSSOC Member

Post by Miles Burnett » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:45 pm

I'm determined to keep steady progress and can't wait to get going again when I get home on Saturday. Unfortunately my two boys aren't quite old enough to help yet!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:13 pm

Remy2 wrote:I want a car I can trust to use on motorways, long or short journeys in any weather cruising at 80 . Does this sound reasonable?
Of course it does! If it wasn't, I would have sold mine a long time ago :wink:

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sat May 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Only just come across this, great thread.
Bon courage and keep up the good work!

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website site Scimitar EUROPEEN

Miles Burnett
RSSOC Member

Post by Miles Burnett » Sat May 24, 2014 10:53 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (336.77 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
:shock: Thanks Chris, haven't had much time to work on the white car with work and my boys being on holiday. However I did manage to find a very early SE5 handbook on Ebay with perhaps a lead to an early two spoke steering wheel ( wanted thread started as well). The chrome, apart from the bumpers has polished up well. Other than that I have a list for QRG!
I had better make this a dual thread to cover Pete Lewis' old car Shabby Chic, which I'm really pleased with and now has working overdrive ( broken wire) ,adjusted rear dampers ( much better ! ), lowered seat squabs ( much better driving position) and general check over. Exhaust leak on tubular manifold to sort with spare set and clean up and sealing of sunroof to avoid embarrassing wet patch on trousers!
I will return to an original air cleaner and remove the front spoiler too and source a steering wheel. Plan is to enjoy her through the fine months and then work on her during the winter ( note to draft proof garage and get some heat! ) . I'll get the chassis / mechanics fully up together, basically carrying on from Pete's efforts and then think about the paintwork. I would like to change the instrument surrounds to chrome on both cars and bearing on mind they will be used ,eventually,in all weathers to include motorway journeys I'm thinking about tyres too. Previous threads read with interest but as I can't get original Pirelli s I'm thinking towards Michelin. They are expensive , but at the same time less expensive than for our Discovery.

Miles Burnett
RSSOC Member

Post by Miles Burnett » Sat May 24, 2014 10:55 pm

Haven't got the the hang of smilies yet! I either can't make them work or ,as here, they come up in the wrong place. The aircraft computer seems easier somehow!

Miles Burnett
RSSOC Member

Post by Miles Burnett » Sat May 24, 2014 10:59 pm

I've received Shabby's registration in my name now so I'll make sure she is set for French MOT and Chris I will try for CG Normale, oh and of course she has to have yellow headlights!

petelewis

Post by petelewis » Sun May 25, 2014 1:05 am

Hi there,
Glad to hear that 'Shabby' is in better hands. The steering wheel was a donation from 'Lukiboy' as the 13" wouldn't let me go round corners. I'm glad you haven't found anything nasty, I wouldn't like to have moved on anything dodgy. I'll follow your posts with interest and a tear in my eye.
Best regards,
Pete.

petelewis

Post by petelewis » Sun May 25, 2014 1:09 am

So what's wrong with 'scotchbright' for an air cleaner? quite liked the nice green colour.
Pete.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sun May 25, 2014 7:29 am

You don't need yellow lights, just right-dipping (Triumph Vitesse, Dolomite etc)
You can't see a thing with yellow headlights so if you're going to use the cars in winter ...
You will need a Certificat de Conformité for the CT, just let me have full details of the car(s) including date of first registration.

That reminds me, when one of the headlights on Louiza's Calibra had an accident the coachworks ordered a new one and when it arrived it was yellow.
They do everything by computer and all french cars apparently had yellow lights in 1992 - but our Calibra came from Germany so their computer didn't recognise it :roll:
One slight (?) disadvantage was that white headlights cost 100 euros more than yellow ones :(

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website site Scimitar EUROPEEN

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun May 25, 2014 7:33 am

LHD (RH Dip) 5.75" headlights are something like £20 from SVC on eBay, as I spotted recently. Cheaper than RHD ones!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Miles Burnett
RSSOC Member

Post by Miles Burnett » Sun May 25, 2014 10:15 am

Hi Pete, she's a great car and I don't think any serious problems will appear. The steering wheel is fine but if I can get an original that would be great, same with the air filter ( yes the colour is a good match! )
Thank you Chris I will collect the details when I next get home. I know the yellow lights aren't ideal ,it was just a personal thing I've always associated cars of the time in France with those lights. My old cars here have always had them ( a Dutch friend here is the same). Perhaps I'm stuck in the 60 /70s!
Anyway great bank holiday to all and hope no rain wherever you are. Obviously it's Mother's Day instead, I believe in France.

Miles Burnett
RSSOC Member

Post by Miles Burnett » Mon May 11, 2015 9:53 am

Well , booked Shabby in for French mot, hoping to register her within my days off. Quick double check to make sure she's not going to let me down and found windscreen washer operation resulted in wet feet. Mot guy said not to worry (!)but I guess some upside grovelling in the footwell is due! Then stupidly ignoring the old saying ' if it ain't broke leave it alone' I thought I'd just replace the top hoses as they looked past their best. Found thermostat housing to be badly corroded ( part of the outlet fell off). Threads appear to have been bodged in the distant past and when I tried to fit a good replacement elbow stolen from the white car they stripped Aaaah! oh and now the battery is flat. Going to work today to forget about it and will start afresh when I get back to France. Or I might take up a new more relaxing hobby. PS : Many thanks to Chris for supplying a Certificat de conformité .

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon May 11, 2015 10:04 am

I once carried out a roadside repair on a stat housing that started leaking and turned out to be stripped threads - two oversized bolts that just happened to be in my toolbox! Fitted helicoils later.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Project Progress”