Greenys GTC

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

greeny
RSSOC Member

Greenys GTC

Post by greeny » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Well I have had the car for near on 10 years so I thought I had better start some sort of thread, not really a project thread more a love affair really. Most of you will know of or have seen my GTC over the years.

I got my C from the family who bought it when it was 12 months old from the reliant factory where they were told that it was the directors pool car (how many pool cars the directors needed I don't know).

I have near on every receipt for everything that is on and has been on the car after it was sold by reliant.

Maybe some of you could ahead some light n this but I was told that someone at reliant smashed it up and it was rebuilt onto the galv chassis it's on now.

It has a 2.9i Scorpio engine with a super chips flash module on. 5 speed type 9 box. And a se6a diff. Half leather interior (leather/alcantara) with recaro fronts. And as most of the highpeak nogginers will give me stick for a sub in the boot. :D

Most of which has been fitted in my ownership.

Lastly I have compomotive ML's with 195 and 205/50/15" tyres on which until recently looked like this but as with most things that get used the paint started to fall off they looked like this at Tatton this year.

So I was left with a opportunity do I change the colour or stay the same :help: after much thought I plumped to change the colour. Now with the car being yellow and satin black with stainless/chrome accents it doesn't live many options so here is my choice :shock: which I think look really 8)

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

greeny
RSSOC Member

Re: Greenys GTC

Post by greeny » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:29 pm

She needs to settle back on to her suspension and come out from the cover and definitely needs a polish, but what do you think?

Oh and their not straight black they have a sparkle finish but it doesn't show on the pics.

I am we'll chuffed (can you tell)

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
12601 14846 18/09/12

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:40 pm

One of fhe fuel filters and the rear end fuel line's and gearbox oil changed today I jate doing gesrbox oil as no matter how carefully I do it I always flick oil allover!

12601 14846 18/09/12

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Get yourself one of those laser oil syringe things, just used one to do my gte's box and axle oils, dead easy no mess at all, hope you used the correct oil for the type 9 box Dave

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:13 pm

Got sort of one and flicked the oil all over myself with the pipe and yes I have ford oil for it

12601 14846 18/09/12

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Post by Oaksey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:16 pm

I used one of these for a could of things and its great: very quick and 100% no mess :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drill-pump-he ... 20cffc0adf

Josh Oakes
2015, 2016 and 2017 SSSC Champion
1974 Yellow Se5a Overdrive
1987 White SS1 Ti
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
1966 Blue Coupe Straight Six x2
Previous- SS1 Ti, SE6a x3, SE5 Auto, SS1 CVH, Mk2 Sabre, Rebel Estate

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:22 pm

I am afraid that no amount of gadgets will help the clumsyness of the user!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

12601 14846 18/09/12

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:05 pm

I Re replaced the passenger wiper box today as the soft metal splined bit that the wiper arm fits too started to spin on the spindle and split. Now having done this before (on both sides) I was not happy at the thought of replacing the passenger again as this was much more difficult than the drivers I decided to make life a bit more easy for my self.

First I enlarged the little hole (sorry no pics as I didn't have enough hands) so I could fit my hand and the spanner/ratchet in together. due to the heater box and part of the loom being in the way you can't cut in the direction that would make the job relatively easy. Made the hole about 1"1/2 longer.
With the job still being near impossible I stepped back (before I threw something) and thought. :shock:

The thought came to pull the wiper rack out and remove the nut from the back of the wheel box that is easiest and take the main bundy tube off the passenger side of the wheel box. Then move both retaining nuts from the outside of the car (the chrome ones) remove the rubbers and push both spindles into the cavity of the car and with a bit of wiggling you can draw the passenger wheel box into view and remove and replace the wheel box then push it all back into place and re-fix then re-connect the main bundy tube and you are laughing. :D

Now I have had the issue that the wipers won't switch off the selfs I took a look at the reason for this. I thought it was the park switch but no. I then looked at the screw that takes the end float from the wiper motor itself and it was not even close to the pinion end, tighten it up and job done happy bunny. Now the motor is still gutless but at least it parks and moves properly. :D

A productive day. :D :D

I have also used some mer under the bonnet it's still not pretty but it's much better :D

12601 14846 18/09/12

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:19 pm

Well in my quest to make my C an extention of me I have spent the last few hours fitting....................... a DVD player now this is not just for the Cheshire but also for the Kids when at car shows for when it rains and for long journeys. Have to say I am well chuffed although not totaly finished (have to fix the external media hub under the drivers seat. Its an alpine iva d310 it will do satnav reversing camera and other stuff that I will probably never use. The sound is amazing even with the old and decrepit pioneer 4" fronts and sub cant wait until I have my jbl's in.

12601 14846 18/09/12

Ben Kenobe
RSSOC Member

Post by Ben Kenobe » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:35 pm

You're a bit slow - I've got a full blown media centre / navigation system in the Disco, full on megawatt of Clarion 14 speaker system - no point in the Sabre - couldn't hear the bugger any how - I spent the afternoon driving around top down (got me damned head burnt :evil: definitely need a baseball cap when the roof is absent) and this evening "Cheshire'ing" the Sabre with polish and a Megs DA and liberal quantities of Collinite 476S double wax ... oh and I do live in Cheshire :wink:

I don't have a GTC yet ... working on that one ... even made space ...

I write down everything I want to remember. That way, instead of spending a lot of time trying to remember what it is I wrote down, I spend the time looking for the paper I wrote it down on.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:04 am

I bought a cheap standalone twin screen DVD system (with headphones) for the kids, when we moved to Germany (2001) - best thing I have ever bought in my life!!!! After tens of thousands of relatively quiet miles throughout Europe, they are now performing sterling service for our young nieces!

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:50 am

scimjim wrote:I bought a cheap standalone twin screen DVD system (with headphones) for the kids, when we moved to Germany (2001) - best thing I have ever bought in my life!!!! After tens of thousands of relatively quiet miles throughout Europe, they are now performing sterling service for our young nieces!

We have had the stand alone ones too and oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh yes well worth the money (even had swmbo watching films o the last trip with the caravan behind she was in the back as she doesn't like towing and she wont drive with the van on)
Will keep the stand alone for the passat but the 17 year old in me has always wanted dvd fitted. Now all I need is a camera and an extra screen for the back.

12601 14846 18/09/12

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:05 am

Ben Kenobe wrote:You're a bit slow - I've got a full blown media centre / navigation system in the Disco, full on megawatt of Clarion 14 speaker system - no point in the Sabre - couldn't hear the bugger any how - I spent the afternoon driving around top down (got me damned head burnt :evil: definitely need a baseball cap when the roof is absent) and this evening "Cheshire'ing" the Sabre with polish and a Megs DA and liberal quantities of Collinite 476S double wax ... oh and I do live in Cheshire :wink:

I don't have a GTC yet ... working on that one ... even made space ...

Thats exactly why you need amps and big speakers subs etc in the scims so you can hear the music.

There is also another reason for doing some of the things to my scim that I am doing which is, like it or not we are all getting older so we need to make the cars appealing to the next generation (not all 15 year olds are like Josh ). The coolest thing to happen to the car world in the last 20 years is the "retro" scene which I love so thats where its going and I think there should be more scims as they take the look really well.

But the real reason is I cant leave anything alone!

12601 14846 18/09/12

Ben Kenobe
RSSOC Member

Post by Ben Kenobe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:19 am

Make it more appealing or more appalling :wink:

I haven't been near any youngster in the Sabre that hasn't liked the car - besides if I put head restraint screens in it only the car following would be able to watch it. If I were able to get my Scim anything it would be to let it loose in one of the company factories - this is just one of the many things that my company are involved in >>

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/content/ ... ument.html

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/content/ ... ating.html

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/content/ ... es_at.html

I write down everything I want to remember. That way, instead of spending a lot of time trying to remember what it is I wrote down, I spend the time looking for the paper I wrote it down on.

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Most people love the cars but would they own one? Swmbo loves the C I the sun but souldnt use it all year as it lacks the comforts of the modern passat so one by one I am fitting some. The only things short are air bags (wont be fitting them) and climate control (take the roof off) loads of the younger driversnthat would be in the max power bbrigade are now into retro lime mk 1 fiestas polos. So why not a Scim. I suppose that its a this is different scim from the norm (as is my style lol)

12601 14846 18/09/12

Return to “Project Progress”