Body back on...Woo! (SE6A in Hants)

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Re: Stripped down to the bare bones...... (SE6A in Hants)

Post by philhoward » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:02 pm

Yep - 5/16" UNF

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
SS1 Racer
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:55 pm

Cheers chaps thats very helpfull!

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:48 pm

5/16" is spot on, thanks again! Both threads now re cut, I am nearly at the point were I can flip the chassis back over and complete the final bit of welding. The aim for the moment has got to be to start re fitting the suspension and drive train before the end of next month. Got to set your self goals!

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Some picture updates. The upside down chassis gets a bit of a clean up and a paint.

Off with the hammerite...

A bit of anti rust treatment on the slightly porous areas..I have started using Genolite, mostly because it sounds more dangerous than Kurust!

On with the paint.

its looking a bit panda esque as the center section doesnt have the surface rust of the outer and is protected by a dose of engine oil, so I felt it best to leave it as its nice and solid.

PlasticMan

A day out and a broken pipe flange tool!..... (SE6A in Hants

Post by PlasticMan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:15 pm

This weeks aim was to try and sort the rear axle. I have decided that when I flip the chassis back over, the axle will be the first thing I re fit. I have been in contact with Coco La Blanc who gamely volunteered to help with the hub pulling, as I have had a series of failures with this job.

I have also been talking my project through with a work colleague who is massively into his Triumphs and has had more old cars apart than I have had hot meals. He suggested I should pull the half shafts first. So on Friday night I took the diff cover and the bearing clamps off. On Saturday morning I attempted to remove the shafts. This didn't work! After speaking to Coco (aka Viv), I loaded the axle into the girl friend's Range rover and headed for Portsmouth via a massive tail back on the A34, which was caused by a mystery snarl up on the M3, deep joy. I then lost my way in Waterlooville after missing a turn on the A3, this wasn't going well!

Eventually I arrived at Coco's top secret Scimitar HQ, so secret in fact that he only had two Scimitars parked on the drive and one on the road, you would never notice!

Anyway, after a cuppa we got down to business, hauled the axle into the back garden and then applied the pipe flange thing. This wasn't straight forward as my axle is missing a couple of studs, due to previous issues.

Whilst that was simmering, Viv then set about repairing my tubular manifold,welding on a new section and did a cracking job!

Over the next few hours, we kept apply and re applying pressure to the hub and sure enough....... it moved slightly but didnt give. Then we discovered the pipe flange had started to crack up under the strain. Bugger!

So at about 7 pm we loaded the axle back into the Range rover, mysteriously it seemed to have gained weight since we unloaded it, god those axles are hefty!

So one step forward, one step roughly in the right direction and one broken tool.

Many thanks to Viv for his efforts and now I need to go and get myself a pipe flange tool and try again!

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:31 pm

Don't waste your money. You need a proper hydraulic puller, as I found out. Even a local garage failed and I ended up with a damaged halfshaft and two distorted flanges. It would have been cheaper to get the right tool to start with. If you are likely to bring the axle to Curbs, I should be getting my puller back, so we can fetch them off.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks for the kind offer but I cannot make it to Curbs. I will look into getting hold of or finding a garage who have a hydraulic puller.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:04 pm

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (11.9 KiB) Viewed 2462 times

Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:12 pm

Well that saves some research! Thanks again.

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:57 pm

It has arrived....

I will probably have to wait till the weekend to give this a whirl, unless I get a quiet evening. The best bit is that it came with a sealey tool catologue, who doesn't enjoy browsing tools?

Coco La Blanc

Post by Coco La Blanc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:07 pm

I will be interested how it performs ? :| :roll: :wink:
Regards,
Viv

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:11 pm

OK, in use, you need to retract the piston as far as possible, also unwind the cylinnder until it will fit flush with the hub. I used a wheel spacer to help. Large washers and half inch UNF plain nuts bolt it up tight. Wind in the cylinder until it contacts and then start winding the piston in. Get it up tight, have a cup of tea and if it hasn't released, give it a couple of sharp taps with a Birmingham screwdriver. You should be rewarded with a loud bang. It has never failed me, where the so called professionals have.

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:25 pm

Don't worry I will let both of you know soon enough if this becomes yet another broken victim of my evil axle!

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:50 pm

Remember to stand away from the hub. If you have forgotten to refit the axle nut, it will come off with enough force to seriously remodel your features.

Lukeyboy46
RSSOC Member

Post by Lukeyboy46 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:53 pm

AJL's hub puller Worked for me 4 times recently, good piece of kit!

But yep, remember that hub nut. It's a loud bang.

Luke Garratt
RSSOC Forum Moderator

74' Se5a - Daily driver!

Return to “Project Progress”