Body back on...Woo! (SE6A in Hants)

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Re: Stripped down to the bare bones...... (SE6A in Hants)

Post by philhoward » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:29 pm

PlasticMan wrote: Lastly a gearbox question, with the prop shaft removed my type 9 leeks oil out of the back, is this normal (with the end of the prop sealing the box) or has a seal failed?
You've got it in one - the seal only seals against the prop when fitted.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
SS1 Racer
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:16 pm

Thanks Phil, that's a relief!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:05 pm

PAS trunnions aren't hard to come by at all - just bl@@dy expensive because Triumph never used them!

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:57 pm

Bit of an update, the head came back quicker than expected. Perrin had done a great job of getting the old snapped manifold bolt out and also explained why I had suddenly hit trouble whilst attempting it my self. I knew I had snapped a couple of drill bits trying to get it out but what I hadn't realised is that I had left a bit of drill in the end of the bolt. So it took him an hour to drill the drill bit out before he could actual drill the remains of remains of the bolt out!

I must admit it was really satisfying cleaning up the heads and intake manifold, replacing all the gaskets, re fitting the heads then setting the tappets. For some reason engine work like this is really feel good!

Then the best bit, trial fit the repaired manifold...

Coco La Blanc

Post by Coco La Blanc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Even better when you hear the reworked rumble for the first time !!! :pint :pint :pint

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Hopefully it will be worth the time and effort! :)

PlasticMan

Re: Stripped down ..starting to piece together! (SE6A in Ha

Post by PlasticMan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:20 pm

So anyway 8 months after the last update! This is a slow project, not helped by the fact that I have gained another project and my other cars also like attention too often.

I'm starting to get things back together, the plan is to get the body back on in the next few weeks but first I need the chassis to be mobile. The front suspension is rebuilt with new bushes and top ball joints. The steering rack seems in good nick so I have just replaced the track rod ends, mind you its not been all plain sailing.

I appear to have made two rather big blunders, firstly I didn't mark up the prop against the flange before I removed it. Is this a big issue, is there a way of sorting it, or does it really matter?

Secondly I decided to renew the diff pinion seal, I centre punched the nut and stupidly instead of punching the shaft I punched the body of the pinion, except I didn't..... I actually marked the washer by mistake! it looked like part of the pinion, Doh!

I guess I need to work out the set the pre load torque with weights or a special tool? Any advice at all?

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:59 pm

Slowly slowly things are coming back together, so a bit of a image based update...

Front suspension and rack back in, new bushes top and bottom, new ball joints and track rod ends.

Next part was refitting the OSR hub and diff seal, to do this you need to stop things turning, so a bit of make shift iron mongery was called for.

Also spot the shiny new brake and fuel lines!

Prop in..

After that I started looking at the body and was slightly horrified by how bad the carpet and sound proofing had got (mould mainly), so promptly ripped them out and binned them.

In stripping the interior I found a couple of interesting things...

The original build spec! "No 7 Prog 43 O/drive L/Green C Tan trim" but also this....

Looks like the rusty chassis plate had expanded enough to crack the fibre glass, so thats another small glass repair to add to the list.

Finally whilst tidying the shed/workshop I realised the front bumper was in a sorry state and I had never seen it attached, so did a quick trial fit.

Then curiosity got the better of me, what would the bumper look like colour coded? Well the rubber section had seperted already, so I cleaned it up and painted it.

Colour coded it is then!

So that's roughly were I am.

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 am

...Great photos & well done! Keep plugging away....

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:13 pm

I've had a few days off work, so I have been beavering away in my shed welding up stands to put the body on for the reunion. I have also been doing my checks trying to work out if I have forgotten anything, then I realised there are captive threads in the chassis that I have painted over.

The tap and dye set was hoiked out of its hiding place and I set about tapping the holes, annoyingly I managed to lose a tap into the chassis as the tap wrench decided to let go! I checked underneath and realised this was box section, the tap would be rattling around inside the chassis forevermore, it would probably drive me mad so drastic action was called for...

Out came the grinder.. (sorry about the blurryness!)

If you are wondering why two holes? The first hole leads to a second skin, so I had to cut another and fish the tap out.

The culprit..

Crackle buzzz crackle...

Back on track then!

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Finally a properly big update, for the last week or so I have been hiding in my shed making up stands and props out of lengths of steel (my poor little Mig has been put through its paces!) in a bid to re fit the body. God knows what HSE would have made of it! anyway some pictures...

One stand complete, just see how things line up...

A slight skip forward in time, hoiking the body on to the make shift stands/trestle things.

Floating in the air...

Squeezing underneath..This took several attempts to get the chassis lined up, not the easiest thing to steer..

After much jiggery pokery, brute force, additional bits of trolley jacking, playing wears the gear lever? And also had to remove the carb, dizzy cap and thermostat housing for clearance! It was finally down.

Doors bolted on...

I wont be doing that again in a hurry, I have got to thank my other half Helen for getting stuck in, pointing out were it would fail, sorting my ropes and knots and generally being the voice of sanity.

Still a fair way to go before MOT time but I can see light at the end of the tunnel and I dont think its a train heading in my direction!
Last edited by PlasticMan on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: Body back on...Woo! (SE6A in Hants)

Post by scimjim » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:51 pm

a big step that many, MANY Scimitar resto's never make it to :-)

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks Jim!

Will Anderson
RSSOC Member

Post by Will Anderson » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:44 pm

That's looking good. As Jim says, many folk give up long before this point. You deserve a large :pint :mrgreen:

Will Anderson - RSSOC 4230 & Middlebridge Registrar
SE5a 1972, P.O. SE5a 1973 GOL 535L;
Middlebridge 14 & 42, P.O. Middlebridge 46 & 67

MikeyBikey

Post by MikeyBikey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:42 am

Brilliant stuff.

Is we sideways yet...

Return to “Project Progress”