Body back on...Woo! (SE6A in Hants)

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

PlasticMan

Re: Stripped down to the bare bones...... (SE6A in Hants)

Post by PlasticMan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Its the weekend again, so more faffing about...

Re fitted the transverse arms and some of the brake parts.

Pulled the clutch off and dropped it into my local friendly factors, so he can source me a new one.

Then took the flywheel off to access the rear core plugs. After much thought and researching special tools. I decided to improvise.

One rock steady flywheel and much safer than the dubious screw driver method I have witnessed!

Flywheel begone!

After that I persuaded the core plugs on the sides and rear out, washed the system through with the hose and hammered home some fresh ones. Also I replaced the water pump. FYI water pumps are currently around £100 on ebay but I picked up a complete unit from Burton Performance for £55, it certainly pays to shop around!

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:20 pm

Another weekend has arrived, so a little more has been done.

Flywheel cleaned up and re attached and new core plugs are now visible.

Cleaned up the pink and blue type 9 Dalek...

And like the rollng stones song, I wanted to paint it black, so I did.

Now I just have to wait for it to dry, so in the mean time I fitted the new clutch.

So a vaguely productive Saturday....

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:40 am

Great work - the biggest jobs in the world are nothing more than a series of smaller ones. Bit by bit the jigsaw comes together.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:02 pm

Thanks to the wild weather on Saturday, I was confined to the shed, which after a tidy up and the hanging of a spare strip light isn't a bad place to work. First job of the weekend was dismantling one side of the front suspension.

I decided to do one at a time, I figured that I can use the other as a guide to putting it back together. I started on the NS, I found the ball joint gaiter perished, the bushes aren't too bad but will be replaced anyway and I'm pretty sure the trunnion has too much play. I must admit I was a bit foxed by how you take the trunnion off? And was rather surprised that you just un screw the thing!
A few piccies...

The ball joint was a git to separate. I eventually managed it by undoing the steering arm to give my splitter more space but I really think a better ball joint splitter would be a good investment.

Today's weather has been much improved, so I put the gearbox back in. When I say put, I actually meant, I hefted it out of the shed, down 2 steps and carefully plonked it on the chassis, crikey its a heavy old lump! Then I realised the temporary rear engine mount sat the engine too low but unfortunately the only adjustment I could safely make was to raise it slightly too high. So I had to line the gearbox up whilst balanced on the end of a trolley jack, several attempts later and the splines and I suspect planets and stars all lined up and it slipped on, few! Then I bolted it up and removed the temporary engine mount and lowered the box onto the cross member.

The last job of the day was to remove a broken exhaust bolt from the driver side cylinder head. I have seen people weld a bolt to the remains of the old bolt, then carefully wind out. I think you need more old thread sticking out, I just couldn't get the weld to stick. So have started on drilling the remains out, then I ran out of patience and drill bits! At least I know what I will be doing next weekend, weather permitting.

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:03 am

Well done.....busy & productive...

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:07 pm

All ways good to get encouragement, thanks!

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Well for the last couple of weeks I seem to be doing things in the wrong order. Firstly I re fitted the engine before replacing the fuel and brake pipes, okay it would have been easier to do it the other way round but its not too bad. Secondly I re fitted the gearbox before giving it its oil change. Today I found out that type nines don't have a drain plug, so you either need to syringe it or tip it on its side. So tomorrow I will be unbolting the gearbox and seeing if I can free it off enough just to rotate it, although I suspect that might be optimistic!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Pauluspaulo has just fitted a drain plug to his type 9 - maybe worth a word with him?

From experience with type 9 gearboxes, tilt the engine and box down at the tail end and most of it seems to come out - normally down my arm it must be said. Whichever way, make sure you use te right oil - normal EP gear oil will cause selection issues, especially when cold.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:27 pm

I agree with Phil, the person who did my conversion put EP oil in, it was like slicing treacle with a spoon, changed to the correct oil type 75/90 semi synthetic, now lovely smooth slick change, though I think a quick shift would improve further

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:43 pm

The Locosters way of a type 9 quick shift involves 3 M8 nuts and a hammer...save yourself a few bob ;)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:00 pm

I have done that mod - refined by tacking 3 x m10 nuts (more clearance) to the gearstick top cover and making a seal from sealant.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Don't worry I have a couple of litres of the correct semi skimmed gearbox oil tucked away. I think I need to get the car road worthy before I worry about going for a short shifter. Actually I thought the shift felt rather nice... I felt the need to occasionally change gear when I walked past it as it sat in the shed!

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:20 am

Dribble, dribble, dribble

Not much came out and when I came to re fill I only managed to get about a third of a ltr back in before the oil came back out the filler hole? I thought this would hold nearly 2ltrs? Is it full of saw dust and banana skins?! I'm a bit concerned.

Changing the subject, who has fitted a hub/grease seal into a carrier? I managed to get the old seal out by bolting the carrier backwards to the axle, effectively spreading it by slightly over tightening the bolts and hooking the remnants out. Getting the new style rubber seal in is a pig, so much so I have damaged the new seal and will need a new one! Any tips?

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:52 pm

Just discovered I have been a dummy, the oil wasn't going in because my make shift filler wasn't letting air out, one issue at least solved!

PlasticMan

Post by PlasticMan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:33 pm

Progress is slowing a bit at the mo but since the last update I have sorted a few bits.

I have now fitted the chassis with new brake lines, decided on Copper nickel/Kunifer as it seems to be more durable than plain copper.

A friend of mine who is a bit of a Triumph person had a look at the trunion and upright, he's assured me that what I thought was play is actually necessary movement and will go when filled with oil/grease. This is good news as PAS trunions seem hard to come by, so all I will be renewing will be the ball joint and the bushes.

Another thing I have been trying to sort is a broken manifold bolt. Drilling has only got me so far and isn't really progressing so I am going to remove the head and have that professionally removed. Some times you have to know were to cut your losses and seek help.

Lastly a gearbox question, with the prop shaft removed my type 9 leeks oil out of the back, is this normal (with the end of the prop sealing the box) or has a seal failed?

Return to “Project Progress”