At last! I have my SE5 back!

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Akuchanny

Re: At last! I have my SE5 back!

Post by Akuchanny » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:15 pm

Whats the best way to hot wire it? I have put everything back as it was when I broke it down. Have also tried it with a jump pack attached, My 5 has had its loom chopped around massively by pervious owners, its something that I keep fighting against. I do have a new (kit car) loom to put into it, as it was way cheaper than a auto sparks loom, and has fuse boxes and relays built into it. Hoping when I can tackle that it will help a lot.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:51 am

I don't have time to read the whole thread so can someone give me a overview between last running and now please
Was it just head gaskets

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:13 am

Hotwiring:

Connect the battery positive to the + terminal on the coil, after removing whatever is already there. If the car now starts, you have an issue with the wiring. It is important not to run it like that for any longer than you have to, if you have a ballast type coil. Next test is to replace the wire between distributor and coil negative.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Akuchanny

Post by Akuchanny » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:58 pm

Thanks andy, I will try that when I get a chance it might be the weekend though.

Coupe, the se5 had been running badly I did a compression test wet and dry and found the compression was not even but didnt change between wet and dry. Changed the head gaskets and have not been able to start the car since. Another compression test has shown some imporovmnet on some cylinders and worse on others. Although some of this may be down to bad valve settings, I have re set them .12 to the inlets and .20 to the outlets. and will try another compression test. But the car has refused to fire apart from in reverse and no matter what order I place the plugs on the cap in.

Hope this makes sense.

Andy

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:56 am

I'm sorry if it's been said before but it sounds like the timing is 180 out.

'69 SE5

Akuchanny

Post by Akuchanny » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:17 pm

No worries about saying it again. I thought the same orginally and tried moving the plugs 180. But that didnt solve the issue either. Haven't had a chance to play with the car over the last few days as I have a few things on. But hopefully will over the weekend.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:40 pm

If you start again by taking out all the leads, you might get somewhere. Number one is the one above the rotor arm contact at TDC. Both valves on that cylinder will be rocking. Then put the leads back in one by one, remembering that the distributor turns clockwise.

I would also suggest doing the valve clearances again as I would bet that is the cause of number 5 being down. You must use the correct sequence as it is easy to get it wrong.

Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:54 pm

I might be wrong and Its too early to think hard, but my recollection was you need to take out the distributor, turn the engine until 1 is TDC again and then replace it and set it up so the rotor arm is in the right place. Cylinder 1 at tdc happens twice per 360 and you picked the wrong one.

'69 SE5

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:17 pm

Only one will be on the compression stroke though, with both valves closed.

stocks71

Post by stocks71 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:49 pm

Ah. Similar issues for me. Sorry to jump in. Starter spins but will not fire up for ages. Just added the wire from coil to starter as Kev mentions and it fires straight away but will not continue to run? It is + terminal on coil to main connection on starter? Ta Paul

1972 SE5a GTE
2004 Mazda RX8 231PS - Broken
1990 Golf GTi 8V - Daily

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:47 pm

Simply follow the wire from the distributor to the coil then remove wire(s) from the other coil terminal and temporarily connect the battery + to that point. Don't leave it on for long as the coil may overheat.

Another check to do is to examine the thin wires on the starter solenoid. I guess the white/red is OK since it turns on the key but the other may be cracked/broken due to the exhaust pipe heat roasting the wires and making them brittle. If you find them brittle then you need to unwrap some of the harness wrap until you get to pliable wire and then splice on replacement bits.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

Akuchanny

Post by Akuchanny » Sat May 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Hey Guys, its been a while, since I have had a chance to log on or even look at the se5. I have still had no luck getting it to start after the top end rebuild and am now getting frustrated as its only going to deteriorate if I don't get it back on the road. I was going to ask if anyone knows of anyone who can get it running for me again, and check the leak from the gearbox. I desperately want to drive the car again, but its fighting me after all this time off the road since the accident so long ago.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for anything more than the work to get it running reliably and through a MOT then I can go back to repairing the rest of the car. I did forget to mention that it also needs a full new set of window seals as theses seem to be about as useful as a sieve.

Thanks again in advance

Andy

PS just realised my membership had lapsed so have renewed online.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat May 07, 2016 9:19 pm

Give my transport man a ring +44 7798 638388 (Mark) and get it brought up here. I have a week's breathing space before the Middlebridge comes in for restoration.

Akuchanny

Post by Akuchanny » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Hey guys haven't touched the se5 for sometime now, tried to arrange to get it seen by a few people, but for many reasons nothing happened.

I have bought a spare engine, so my first plan of attack is to pull the block and put in the known working unit it, I think a lot of the over heating and running issues have been down to the engine being silted up, rusting through a core plug and overheating so a strip down is in order, but its also time to get the car on the road again as its been sat for over a year now, as after the last top end rebuild it refused to start.

Does anyone have a guide on how to pull the engine from the body? I am fairly sure my crane is long enough, if not then I will have to try to find someone who wants to take on the job. It's just a case of transporting it to them.

Many thanks

Andy

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:19 pm

You need an engine crane with a long enough arm that will reach to at least the carb
If not then an A frame with a chain block

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Return to “Project Progress”