SE5 with Omega power

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

superleggo

Re: SE5 with Omega power

Post by superleggo » Tue May 23, 2017 10:21 pm

Phil

If my conversion works out as well as your then I will be happy.

I started welding the pipes to the flanges today. Despite the tip to weld them on the inside it would appear that they have warped slightly. I will weld the other on Thursday and I am trying to decide whether to turn the welder down slightly and get less penetration in the weld and less distortion or just to accept the distortion and grind/mill the flanges flat again.

My thoughts are get a good weld and work from there or it will fail in service. I have got to correct the first one so does it matter. I has warped by less than !mm so it may pull up on the bolts but this is not nice engineering.

I think the best answer if to pursaude a friend to mill them flat for me.

fightingtorque

Post by fightingtorque » Thu May 25, 2017 10:32 am

If it does warp, you might be able to use it by slitting it so that the three branches are separate?
I made 215bhp from a 190 bhp engine and it's still on scimitar exhausts .

Gav

superleggo

Post by superleggo » Thu May 25, 2017 11:42 pm

Fightingtorque

I have just welded the other one tonight with a strong back bolted to it but it has still warped to the thickness of a hacksaw blade. I di not turn the welded down on the basis I wanted a good weld and not something that was vaguely attached to the surface. However it is not the end of the world as I have a 50 tonne press in my garage. If that does not resolve the problem as it is not the easiest shape to apply pressure to then I have access to a linishing machine which should resolve the issue.

Your out put figures are impressive. I had a section of 2.5" pipe delivered today with the aim of welding it in after the collector however it seems a bit of an overkill for something that is only dealing with approx 100hp per side. 2" or 2.25" may be better and give me more ground clearance.

superleggo

Post by superleggo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:03 pm

I have decided to go for a 2.25" system when the 3 pipes join. But I am now confused about the purpose of the centre and rear boxes. What is the difference between the 2 boxes or is a 2 box system just quieter than a one box system. Should the middle box be smaller that the rear one or is space the governing factor. I am not looking for a load system but for something that sounds mildly sporting.

Any thoughts?

littlestwoo

Post by littlestwoo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:35 am

Exhaust boxes muffle sound so more should = quieter

Performance of silencers depends on either size and / or internal design,

Labyrinth designs restrict gas flow but can be made physically smaller in design.

Straight through boxes need a greater amount of muffling surface area / material in order to silence well but are less restrictive to gas flow.

This is a simplistic explanation which I'm sure someone will expand on.

Steve Carson - '79 SE6a

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:22 pm

The middle/front box is a labyrinth, whereas the rear is straight through. (I suspect that 2 are used simply to make it quieter than one, in the space available). Some people have removed the mid box (on the grounds that it's the most restrictive); some like the result, some think it's too noisy. If you wanted a compromise, then the replacement of the mid box with a second straight through box should give you better flow, and not too much noise. Bear in mind you may need to allow for the offset of the pipes in the mid box.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

superleggo

Post by superleggo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:36 pm

littlestwoo and Roger

Thanks for your thoughts. I was beginning to think that exhaust design was a game of compromises and space available. Well I am not looking to wake up the neighbours so it will be 2 boxes. I also like to be able to hear the stereo and if it costs me a few HP then such is life. This will be a road car and I am the wrong side of 20 by many years so such is life. However I Have found a bad boy solution to to having fun

superleggo

Post by superleggo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:19 am

I have not had much time recently to work on the car but managed an hour or so this evening to work on the exhaust a bit further.

I was struggling to hold everything in place so I made some adjustable stands to assist so I could tack things in place while leaving my hands free to weld.

After a bit of experimentation I decided to to cut a section of pipe in half to make the collector. The plan is to then fill in the gap

Time to fill in the gaps and add the lamda sensor

Yes I could not resist fitting a bad boy exhaust splitter. If it is good enough for Aston Martin then it is good enough for me.

I think the describe this as road and track mode!

We will see what it sounds like if it is too naff will replace by a straight section of exhaust as I plan this will be a bolt in section.

however it seems to fit nicely under the floor space fort the front seats.

So onto the other side.

I am not sure if this is the best place for the lamda sensor as to whether the exhaust gasses from the 3 pipes will have mixes fully by this stage or not but it is convenient and fits which is half the battle. If it causes issues then I will block it up and weld in another further down the pipe.
Last edited by superleggo on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie
Banned User

Post by ronnie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:02 am

Well worth the thumbs up.
Great informative post 10/10

Great read and watching with interest.

GavinR
RSSOC Member

Post by GavinR » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Good work on the collector - it's something I want to do with my exhaust at some point, so useful to see the pictures

Thanks

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a

DarrylWebb

Post by DarrylWebb » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Massive amount of work going into those pipes. Well done. I did the same chopped Vectra/Calibra manifolds as Phil for convenience, but your 3-into-1 ought to flow better.

Scimega: Project X30XE Pro-Touring Scimitar

superleggo

Post by superleggo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:58 pm

It would definitely been quicker to chop Calibra manifolds but I have never tried to make a manifold before so I just fancied the challenge. It is not too difficult just time consuming. Perhaps the most difficult bit was learning to weld stainless to an acceptable standard. My TIG welding is hopeless so I went back to trying to MIG weld it after some messing about with the setting I found a sensible compromise that gave a workable weld. Slowing the wire speed down worked for me with only short tacks. Longer tacks gave too much penetration and blobs on the inside of the pipe.

I am quite pleased with the collector and it is quite east if you split the larger diameter pipe in two and leave about 6mm uncut. I is then easy to pull apart by hand into a "V". The open end of the V can be squashed to the smaller diameter in the vice and made to fit neatly. Then fill in the triangle. The other end just needs a bit of careful grinding to match the pipes for welding. Slow progress but quite satisfying. The exhaust props are a great help to line things up with ease. Well worth the half hour they took to make as I hate to think how many times I have fitted the pipes!

Ronnie and GavinR - I am glad you found it of interest.

No real progress over the weekend as I have been away and I will struggle to get any sensible time in the garage over the next week due to other commitments.

I am also held up as I have had to send the middle boxes back to the supplier as the inlet pipes are 65mm rather than 57mm. Annoying!

superleggo

Post by superleggo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Well it looks like Photobucket does not like 3rd party listing of photos on this forum so has blocked all the photos for you all to see. To upgrade may account would cost $300 which is excessive. Is this a regular problem or should I move the photos elsewhere for you all to enjoy.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this would be welcome.

MikeyBikey

Post by MikeyBikey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:46 pm

I've not had a problem with photo bucket albeit it rams adverts down your throat but as I don't pay a penny can't complain really

Owner of a fantastic se5a (nee 5 speed) that's a bit quick (well, feels like it is!!) and now running on lpg
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8036
And is now going sprinting viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24376

superleggo

Post by superleggo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:13 am

well guys thanks for all the suggestions on how to fix the PB problem on the dedicated link. I have pasted https://fixphotobucket.com/ in front of all my image links and it seems to have restored all the photos. A complete waste of 90 mins but I felt the log was worth the time for those interested. I think I will use Imgur.com in the future as I don't trust PB now. I hope this fix is long term.

I have made a little progress on the other side of the exhaust system and will post some more progress soon once I am familiar with Imgur.

Return to “Project Progress”