Early SE5 stateside

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Re: Early SE5 stateside

Post by philhoward » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:21 pm

I'd be getting the cardboard out to make templates of the main brackets, get them laser cut (surprisingly low cost for what you get) from 1/8" plate and use those - with the 4HA brackets?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
SS1 Racer
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:23 am

Wallet damaging progress.

-My axle man tells me he can get ALL the bearings at very little relative cost
-My pinion is toast so that's going too double the cost for the whole project; working on that but, so far, it seems I CAN get a new pair at a depressing high price However, given I don't have to pay VAT, and assuming postage is less that that, I'm actually getting cheaper that a domestic customer (let's see if that turns out to be actually true!)
-He uses a welder that can do the brackets and feels he can resolve any issues with the internal diameter

Saw my axle today, in bits awaiting action

'69 SE5

MikeyBikey

Post by MikeyBikey » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:03 am

Hmm. For me the axle is a dark art. A sorcerers creation full of magic bits, widgets and rim ram rods that some how turn up and down movement into forward acceleration.

But if you dare to open it, it will spring open, bits fly everywhere and you will never get the bleedin thing back together. And you'll be cursed for life.

Hence even when I undo the drain plug to top up the diff oil I step back expecting bits to shoot out under loaded pressure...

shudder shudder :w :w :w

Is we sideways yet...

Coco La Blanc

Post by Coco La Blanc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:48 am

Mikey,
Well I suppose your car's entrails are subjected to very different 'unusual' stresses & strains !!! Haha :lol: :lol: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Regards,
Viv

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:06 am

Can anyone help me with any measurements for the brackets on my axle?

To help my new welder friend, I can drop a plumb line from my chassis to the garage floor to get a measurement of space between the brackets. What about space between the holes on each bracket? Does the 5a bracket I bought have the same geometry (the diameter of the axle tube is certainly different; is that is?

If anyone has a SE5 with a 7H axle (early kind) I'd really appreciate a measurement. The number i need is between the 2 bolt holes on the bracket

Last edited by Stephenl on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

'69 SE5

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:15 am

To get the right info you need to ask for 7HA measurement
If it is 4HA I can assist

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:16 am

I'm losing it. Yes, my axle is 7HA. That's what I need the measurements for. The brackets supplied are for the more common 4HA axle, so i want to know if the bolt holes are a different distance apart on the 7HA

i edited my post to cover my tracks.

'69 SE5

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:43 am

Is there not enough left of the old to take measurements

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:27 pm

Its a bit wet, windy and cold out there at the moment to lie under my Coupe with a tape measure but if you don't get an answer I will measure it for you when the weather clears up - whenever that is.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:37 pm

OK been out in the cold and the best estimate I can give you is 6" ( between hole centres ) - a bit difficult lying on the damp ground with a tape in one hand and a torch in the other. Comparing that with my spare 5A axle that also looks like 6" and my spare 6A axle looks nearer to 8" so if your bracket is near enough 6" then I think it will be right.

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:55 am

Thank you Peter, that's very kind of you.

the old brckets have been plated and welded and bodged and resemble a banana on one side. Not something I can trust unfortunately.

'69 SE5

windy

Post by windy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:57 am

An important measurement to consider is the angle of the pinion flange compared to the angle of the brackets.

Before taking the old brackets off its a good idea to make a cradle that holds the diff nose at an angle corresponding to the brackets being perfectly upright when checked with a spirit level.

That probably sounds a lot more complex that it is, as basically all you need are a few small blocks of wood nailed together and a level surface to put the axle on :)

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:50 am

MikeT made a jig to ensure that the new brackets were welded on in the same position as the old ones - see :

this post

and this post (scroll down a little bit)

Though if you don't trust your old brackets, that may not work?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:47 am

Stephenl wrote:Can anyone help me with any measurements for the brackets on my axle?

progress...
I can drop a plumb line from my chassis to the garage floor to get a measurement of space between the brackets. 105.6cm :P
My tubes are getting sleeved to make up for them being smaller than the more common axle that the brackets are made for
The orientation from the yoke we just have to use the current one. The axle guy reassures me he will pay close attention

So they are the only measurements I can see that are needed/possible.

My axle parts supplier, who was ready to relieve me of a considerable sum of money had some personal difficulties which took him off grid for about a month but I finally have the new crown wheel and pinion + other bits and bobs. I was getting a bit worried, my axle has been in bits in the axle dude "shop" for about 3 months now.
Without VAT but including shipping to the US was cheaper than with VAT and shipping within the UK, so that's nice but it was still ALOT :cry:

So I'm now waiting for "Axle Dude".

In the meantime, some welding and painting and general tidying while I have access. Fuel tank is off Whoever said rust would be worse than it looked and the inner metal holed too on this chassis part was spot on. I'm not the greatest welder but I think its a good enough job and looks fine. I don't care for this flux cored wire. i switched to C02 AND the flux cored wire and i eventually got it doing OK. Still needed a little bit of grinding back especially in the underside where it was holed too and gravity took a hold of my blobs. :oops:

I'll have a good old bash at the other side soon, the welder is not put away just yet, that is better but knowing what I know now..........!

'69 SE5

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:11 am

I replaced that angled U piece with a tube - no more water/dirt traps - I also replaced the side riggers with simple angle iron for the same reason - no shelf for water/dirt to lie on.

Return to “Project Progress”