"I thought I'd just put the brakes together and drive it"...

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:24 pm

Mmmuuhaaahhhaaaa...

yesterday we did exchange the catalytic converter of a MK V Ford Fiesta....Man, that was crap. Things are really easily reachable in a Scimitar compared to this...Found the same issues on my Audi A4 B7 enginebay, all is soooo much tighter.....

1975 SE5a restoration link
Image Image

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Hey guys....

long time nothing from me... and not a lot to report. We fiddled out the cat issues on the Fiesta. This is REALLY something I don't want to do again that soon.

There are two things though I can report:
1. the Steering coloum has a lot of longitudanal play. I checked all joints if one may be loose but all bolts at in and tight as far as I can see. With the exception of the on IN the damper turret... will check this
2. found one drop of oil under the car (which so far was oil tight :) ). It seems either the oil pan is not sealed well or - if worse - the rear crankshaft seal. And if this would be the case this would really suck.
Those two I did not change as theiy where really looking new when I did the engine... HMM.. Let's see...

otherwise car runs ok.

Question: Are your squab seats also kind of loos so when you have luggage in the back it can move the squabs slightly to the upright position? Or does it bend back enough so that this doesn't occur?

Thanks

Image Image

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Pepe wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:44 pm
Question: Are your squab seats also kind of loos so when you have luggage in the back it can move the squabs slightly to the upright position? Or does it bend back enough so that this doesn't occur?
AFAIK the rear seats were all designed with an "over-centre" action, so that the backrests would "settle" into the correct position, and could only be folded forward by lifting simultaneously?
I believe later seats in late 6as onwards had catches, not so much because they needed them, but because regulations said they had to have them?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun May 27, 2018 12:16 pm

Hey guys.

Recently on a nice day i went searchin for Water ingress areas.
And there where plenty unfortunately:

- Rears screen (of course!!). The lower halve is not watertight as suspected. Water flows in inbetween hardened old seal and sealant stuff, down to lowest point of screen, out and then down the rear valance into the trunk.... and not small amounts of it. As I have the seal already I think I need to tackle the rear screen at some point... The pain of splitting the frames and so fortth... Is the inner U channel window-frame seal available new in good fitting quality or just something alike it that creates more trouble than satisfaction?
Then I probably leave it the way it is now and reseal with silicone or window sealant....

- Front quarter windows... totally porous. I expected the car to leak here but it needed to be finished for Wedding :) Tackling this s also a mayor chunk of work. It would involve undoing and disassembling the doors again as otherwise the areas of concern are unreachable. I am thinking of Making the quaterlights unmovable and glue them in with sealant... Vic makes the seals but they are quite expensive (understandable)...

- Doors and weatherstrips:
As doors are somehow wound they do not seal well at the bottom. Good thing is that all water that enters from weatherstrips and U channel and besides it (huge gaps to doorbody/windows chromeframe) runs out of them onto sealing foil, down and out between foil and door under doorcards out through non sealing door seals.... (a PAIN) :hand: :hand:
Needs Adjusting doors and proper sealing idea for U channels of power windows. This could have never been tight in the crass live before with thos gaps...

- Rear quarter lights:
These leak from a not water tight waterdrain channel. Water runs down between this and body and then behind window seal, and out of Seal to interieur at low point of quarterlights...
This involves removing the waterchannels again...
Again: Are rear qurterlighight seals available new in goodquality that really seal? Forgive me but I do not very much like the QRG stuff here... All seals I had from here were not original spec neither good quality for cost and a paint to fit (Front screen).

But there is also other news:
I inspected the Car for TÜV after a very nice long distance ride.
- Oilleaks seem to come from sweating motor gaskets: Both oil pan and head gasket had some oil sweat. This seems to come from the setting phase when seals got hot. the Cork seal I retighten a bit more very slightly, the bolts where very loose.
- Some little bit of oil leaks out of the gearbox rear end.
- grease has been thrown around from driveshaft yokes
All this could have been just wiped and looks good otherwise...

- The steering column top yoke was obviously loose on the steering column. Bolts where al tight but that hasn't been enough... a little more tightening did the job. I was afraid to brake the yoke though...so far all is good and steering now is without play longitudinal.

- Steering grease/ Oil (I had both in the pinion rack), leakes out of joints and presses out the gaitors. Also here a little retightening the bolts hopefully helps as they had been not tight enough maybe. The new paper seals leakes some oil and Grease has been pressed out of gaitors.
There is no breathing hole anywhere in the rack. Is this normal? The rack can't equalize pressure when moved quickly on the lift....

- Squab seats and trunk cover.
I am thinking of adding some locks similar to SE6 to it. The mechnism allows the seats to stand up slightley when trunk junk presses against them when braking... I don't like this.
Too, I'd like to fix the cover with the original buttons. Unfortunately they are lost and not anymore on the rear plastic covers.
Anybody have an idea wherr to get them? These are the knobs on the cover itself I mean:

- Frontseat-Bride-damage
My bride did damage the front seat when driving home the next day from the location :) The spring did remove and the seat was over-bend.
This was rectified by removing the seat from the car putting is back in original position and put the spring back on the seat. Also I tought my wife not to use brutal force on seats she doesn't understand :)

- Cooling system:
Nicely when topped up a little even the loing run on motorway and through contrylanes recently did not push the temperature gauge a lot above 90°C :) The fan did not come on one time on a 20-25°-ish day :)

Image Image

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun May 27, 2018 2:20 pm

I found these buttons are TENAX Style parts... Will see if i find some matchin ones...

Image Image

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi guys.... some minor Progress to report:

The boot cover has been refurbed with new Tenax and according holders in the car were mounted. No pics taken unfotrtunately. the holes have already been there so it was a simple relaxing bolt on job :)

Too I had fun with the first regular TÜV inspection.
It is unbelievable that the first TÜV already is 2 Years ago. It is also time to summarize some items that occured.

TÜV Trouble:
- CO Value too high (4.7%, Limit is 4.5% and that after Carburettor finetune)...
- Handbrake values too low (I was telling them Scimitars handbrake system is weak but they insited car needs to road legal... means 15% minimum, was 14%...)
- Headlamps too high.

Well all this was solvable but after a bad Friday the 13th i was fed up with it... I tuned the mixture screw on the Weber in a 3/4 and CO values dropped to 2%. Right after TÜV Examination I returned to 1/4 only to run on too rich instead of too lean.
Finally though I was able to get the desired vehicle inspection sticker.

They did say nothing and didn't on registering the car about the suspension being shitty. I swap my GAZ adjustable shocks to the original worn outs for TÜV :)

Recp:
so.... recapping after 2 Years of driving a Scimitar for approx 2-3k km :)
- one breakdown (gearshifter balljoint broke)
- 195 15"PA rims do run rough (not properly tuned probably), also hard to steer, 185 original 14"Dunlops much better to drive, less vibration, better control
- Car is not watertight still :oops: :oops: :oops: But At least I found out where: (basically everywhere :) )
- Front quarter (Seal)
- door window seals (large gaps)
- rear quarter window (alloy water drain not sealing, worn seal)
- rear screen (Frame swollen, seal done)
- sorted stabilizer dropdowns
- no mayor oil leaks. Slight leaks on gear box output, Oil pan. Headgasket (this is probably coming done from valve covers)
- starting is a bit tricky when hot. this is more a problem of the starter I assume that often is not able to crank the engine, seems it is more stuck when hot. It revs freely when cold.
- Cooling problems came down a bit, but at high outside temp (~30 Degrees) it still suffers and fan comes on during stationary quite often and temps are close to red... Sometimes this also happens during driving.
But all in all it did not boil over ever.
- bloody rear drums seem unadjustable and useless. One more click in on adjuster and they run hot but do brake, but also increase engine load, one too less and drums are unefficent. From technical point of view what I don't like most are the rear drums. I may start to investigate to rebuilt to MG or Triumph drums or so (better availability) or go disk altogether including new Servo.
- both seats adjusters are shitty. need new gears and clamping pieces here (One I have already thanks to Forum)
...there is more to report, but that'll be too much too read and boring

Image Image

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:23 am

Lots of progress. :D

Pepe, my car used to leak everywhere but new seals and a bit of sealants and taking off and refitting has basically stopped almost all of them. Where water does still come in, eg rear hatch frame, I created a path of sealant on the rear ‘bulkhead’
on the inside to take the water to a drain hole I had drilled.

The rear windows I have refitted two or three times. That has settled them. Don’t forget the string trick.

Brakes, I converted to disks all round. Fantastic but how would your SUV accept it ?

Is we sideways yet...

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Hey guys,

I enjoyed getting back the Scimitar to Cologne again yesterday. Sunniest October ever. Pretty warm, no cloud at all.... Global Warming is definitiely here.

This was taken when I exchanged some cars :) The white 924 is new in the family...

I was able to check the broken Seat reclining mechnism.... The TÜV guy bend the filigran seat hinge pivot plate on the side... I need to rectify this with a few hammer beats. The teeth of the blocker where not matching anymore before. After rebending it was aligned again and again well holding the seat back.

What this guy also obviously broke and what ai didn't realize is breaking the steering wheel. He was holding tight and then moving himself on the seat.. :bh :bh :bh I just realized this when turnign the wheel. It looks completly undamaged from outside, but the Aluminium ring internally is broken on the inside :(

Now looking for a new SE5 (3 Spoke) steering wheel.

And I had the old one re-leathered...

If anyone has a 3 Spoke Steeringwheel I am more than interested to buy. Also I need a fuel Filler cap inner Seal. Are those available new?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:58 pm

Hey guys,

while I am "at home" I was a bit busy with making this:

I wonder if this will be usefule sometime.... Basically it shall serve for a Model I am wanting to do at some uncertain point in time:

Still a lots of bits are missing but it doesn't look to bad and its fun to construct something in 3D...

Image Image

Return to “Project Progress”