"I thought I'd just put the brakes together and drive it"...

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:38 pm

Maybe something like this - Racetech Temperature Indicators would be both easier to use and more accurate? They seem to be used a lot in motorsport.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi guys...
Ihope to soon get back to putting back the lost Photos to the last 30 pages of this threat that have been screwed by Dropbox.

I havent' done so much on the car in the last months, busy working months... BUt - what shall I say... It just drives :)
I am still too afraid to take it to longer journeys but it has taken me reliably to work and back several times this year when the weather was good.

Last week I was in the workshop and tried my best on the Dunlop wheels. Polishing, Rust scratching (both ferrous and alloy :)), cleaning - repeat.
After some more cleaning I repainted the black sections with black chassis paint. This went reasonably well. Paint marks on raised areas where removed with gasoline.
Took no pictures, but potentially show the results at some stage later.

Including the Sparewheel in the car I should now have 4 usable Dunlops that need the new 185HR14 Vredestein Sprint Classics from the attic...

I am still very unsure where to put the Sprints on:
I recently had a chance to by a set of TVR wheels and also Wolfrace, in 14"
Too, I have a set of 14" PAs and the "restored" 14" Dunlops.
I think the Dunlops suit the car best of all, but are by far the worst wheels to keep in good shape over time.
The composite simply is not a good idea. Chrome is not too nice anymore as well. I will need to touch it up as it has some rust stains.
Hence I am wondering if I shall restore my 14" PAs or go Wolfies, the one-piece Alloy is somewhat longer lasting.
15" PA are already there and make the car unique, Wolfrace is a - well - everybody has that...

Turbine Style TVR Wheels (the one with the T spokes) do also look awesome, but I am afraid I won't get them through Tüv and too, to get bored soon by the look...

Luxury problems I'd say :)

What is STILL on the roadmap is waterproofing the car, especially ... - well, no especially... basically everythink leaks :)

1975 SE5a restoration link
Image Image

MikeyBikey

Post by MikeyBikey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:55 pm

The leaking does settle down. I have replaced all my seals and a year later fettled everything and so much better. The front windscreen leaks but I believe the professional fitter did a very poor job.

If i were you id use her as much as possible. She might let you down occasionally but that is a characteristic if old cars but it will soon iron out those items that need to be ironed out. I drive thousands of miles in mine and she nowhere as civilized as yours but i love it.

Re wheels - if you are going to use her a lot, use the wheels that are easiest to maintain but you are happy with. I had chromed spokes on a jag but it was a nightmare really. constantly trying to keep them clean.

Powder coating wheels is a good option. Very resilient, good gloss and colours.

cheers

Owner of a fantastic se5a (nee 5 speed) that's a bit quick (well, feels like it is!!) and now running on lpg
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8036
And is now going sprinting viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24376

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:36 pm

Hey guys...

...while restoring my Dunlop D4 Composites I researched a bit what the correct logos on the hub caps stickers will be.

I found the "Scimitar" Logo and the "GTE" logo. I am not aware about a coloured one but is there one "GTE" Logo that has a yellow background? or is thei "yellowing" when tehy age?

Actually it doesn't look to bad...

On Sporting Reliants I found this nice picture:

Can anybody tell my what the body color on this early 5 is? seems to be kind of an Olive or kind-of-green Metallic..

Too, the hubs look a bit strange (flat!) on this but this maybe the photo :) And also the wheels look very 15"ish ...

When getting in touch with all the wheels I was thinking about if there is a threat that deals on summarizing all wheel choices for a Scimitar GTE SE5s.

What I know of is:
- Original Steel (14")
- Dunlop D4 Style 3 (14")
- MAG GT (14")
- MAG GT (15")
- Revotec (15")
- TVR "T" style (14")
- Minilite style (14")
- Wolfrace slotmags (14")
- Wolfrace slotmags (15")

Image Image

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:54 pm

I think the GTE centre cap on the Dunlop’s yellow with age - I had one out today and it had definitely changed colour.
B0DD11AA-F779-47CE-9C47-54191806B49B.jpeg
B0DD11AA-F779-47CE-9C47-54191806B49B.jpeg (408.48 KiB) Viewed 334 times
0B5FA6A1-93CA-4308-8544-24E8C16CB6A9.jpeg
0B5FA6A1-93CA-4308-8544-24E8C16CB6A9.jpeg (328.82 KiB) Viewed 334 times
I think the pic you have posted are MAGs. The colour could be Wessex Green?

I presume your list is a list of Wheels that “could” fit - not factory standard fit or optional extras?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:30 am

I agree that the decals DO go yellow with age, mine have.

The wheels look remarkably like the Factory option of GT, SE5 1970 to 72 Alloys, page 225 Fourbears book.

Here`s MY Wessex Green 5a, the "Sporting" picture looks almost Tan.
WWW.jpg
WWW.jpg (201.36 KiB) Viewed 302 times

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:03 pm

OK. Thanks guys.

Its clear to me the SE5 wheels are MAG GTs not Dunlops but basically the same applies for Hubcaps stickers... although the Scimitar Logo is on it... I've seen some red backgrounded Scimitar Logos- that standard?

And Yes Jim, this list of course is: What fits and is approx period correct or even what fits at all... :)
Almost forgout about the Fourbears...and its wheel overview.... Maybe this is due to the book loosing al its pages as its binding is pretty crappy from just going through it several times :D

SCimitar in that green on this picture looks remarkable. I like the colour!

Will research what comes near to the tone in the add...

EDIT: BTW : Where Scimitars (especially early press cars) painted to customer spec? Wessex green looks to be to dark for that...

Image Image

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 pm

SCimitar in that green on this picture looks remarkable. I like the colour!

Christian which car are you referring to??.

I KNOW my car is Wessex Green as I resprayed the front just after I bought it as the Cellulose had dried out and was very thick in places, I also know of the technician who resprayed it at the Main Dealers about 10 years before I bought it.
I worked with his son and he recognised the reg, WWW is a pretty rare reg now and the car was looked after by the supplying dealership in Bingley West Yorks.
They were called Jowetts of Bingley and when they shutdown a company called Bingley Autorama took on the selling of used Scimitars just around the corner.

My car has always been local right from first registration and I have traced most of its history.

Mark

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:37 pm

Hey guys...

little report. Got the dunlops equiped with tires now ... Hope to mount them soon and then have the suspension adjusted...

"New" wheels ...

Time to polish out the hub caps as well. It wasn't easy and chrome in some areas is still bad - same as the chromed steel rings on the rims...anyway good enough as the second set of wheels...

Alos cared about the alternator again :) after buying a set of new diodes, bbearigns slip rings etc...

Image Image

Return to “Project Progress”