68 GTE Prototype

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

MarkHawkins
RSSOC Member

Re: 68 GTE Prototype

Post by MarkHawkins » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:22 pm

I had 4 stuck master cylinders for ALJ - 2 on the car and 2 as free spares I was given. I spent some time trying to free them but no luck. We have resigned ourselves to sourcing new ones (eventually!) On the other hand, rebuilding a leaking one on VLN was relatively easy as the piston moved freely and the bore was quite clean.

Custodian of :

1968 '4b Coupe HBL 725G
1972 '5a M/overdrive ALJ 513K - ALJ 513K
1977 '6a M/overdrive - OPJ 62R

ex 1974 '5a auto - VLN 826M
ex 1985 GTC M/overdrive B205 AMT - number 413
ex 1984/85 SS1 number 0007 (1300)

windy

Post by windy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:44 pm

I've been very lucky, as the internals were still in vgc, it was just the first couple of millimetres of the piston that had corroded where it meets the air, and the bore where seal runs is still perfect. The brake pedal is a bit stiff though, even without the BMC connected, so will need re-greasing

Cleaned the body up with a brillo pad as I thought blasting it would have left too rough a finish.

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Given their rarity now it's worth getting it sleeved in stainless

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

windy

Post by windy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:41 pm

I'll bear that in mind if it starts leaking in the future

windy

Post by windy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:19 pm

The brake master cylinder is now reassembled, the pedals freed off & the brake light switch overhauled.

The clutch master cylinder that was previously fitted was a standard 3/4" Scimitar item, and as this Scimitar is far from standard with its SBF engine, it was not well matched to its Sunbeam Tiger derived slave cylinder, giving a heavy, shortish pedal action.

I did a bit of research & found the Tiger used a 5/8" master, so a Wilwood replacement has now been sourced & fitted. That should lighten the pedal by roughly 20% and give a similar increase in stroke.
The new diaphragm clutch pressure plate should also improve on the previous spring version.

When the local autojumbles come around I think a more period looking alloy cap will have to be sourced to make it blend in a bit better....

New clutch cover which has been balanced along with the flywheel & crank assembly. ARP bolts will secure it.

windy

Post by windy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:06 am

The autojumble at Weston park festival of transport yesterday came up trumps with a complete NOS Girling 5/8" clutch cylinder, so that has been swapped this morning. It looks a lot more "period" with its alloy cap.

I need to fit the front calipers & purchase some brake hoses then hopefully the brakes will be operational again.

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi Mark - nice to meet you yesterday - sorry I didn't get to talk, but my neighbour had just come over to chat too (hope I didn't come across as rude, but you'd gone before I had chance to catch you).

Result with the autojumble ;)

Mike.

1978 Scimitar SE6a - Project thread

windy

Post by windy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:30 pm

Thats not a problem Mike, nice to meet you too. Looks like you had a constant flow of people wanting to talk to you, its fatal to leave your bonnet up ;) I did catch sight & sound of you leaving later on as we were walking from the main house back onto the showground. Lovely burble that V6 has.....
I was pleasantly surprised to see such good variety of Scimitars on your stand, and they seemed to be getting a fair amount of attention from the public. Lets hope the recent good publicity on the TV is starting to pay off :)

windy

Post by windy » Tue May 19, 2015 8:03 am

One of the brake calipers I had rebuilt many years ago turned out to be a bit sticky, so decided to strip both of them down again & found one of the pistons had started to corrode.

This time I've reassembled the seals with red grease only. The previous combination of using brake fluid as a lubricant & having them sitting around for years obviously was a recipe for corrosion.

windy

Post by windy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:25 am

A little update on progress. Decided the only way to get the car on the road in time for Curborough this year was to just get it all back together without doing the usual time consuming process of cleaning, prepping & painting everything, so I won't bore everyone with pics of rusty stuff, unless anyone is really interested?

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:04 pm

Photos of rusty bits are always interesting, but don't let it distract you from the goal of finishing the car! :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

windy

Post by windy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:50 pm

Ok, here are some rusty bits :D
The rear diagonal has the usual problem

When cut back it revealed the usual hole

So chopped a piece out so we are back to sound metal. Awaiting some steel plate to arrive in the next couple of days so a new piece can be let in.

The rear tube is solid so I'll weld a new diagonal straight onto it.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:57 am

At least it looks quite localised, so should be relatively straightforward to fix. Apart from a bit of surface rust the rest that you can see, looks pretty sound?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

windy

Post by windy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:04 pm

The chassis in general isn't bad at all, as you say Roger, apart from the rear of the diagonals & front outriggers (Coupe type) its just surface rust.

The plan of action is a quick wirebrush followed by a brushed on coat of ACF50 to keep most of the rust at bay until the chassis is galvanised in the future.

One thing I noticed after I had taken the petrol tank out & was sitting under the car perusing was a bolt at the top of the diff had been rubbing on the crossmember above it. There are no bump stops fitted which is obviously the reason for it catching so I will probably fit some of the polyurethane jobbies directly onto the shock absorber damper rods assuming I can get the tops off.

Here is the other rear diagonal rust trap chopped out & ready for welding as soon as the steel arrives

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Looking good in general, well done Mark

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Return to “Project Progress”