The Beige Se5a : rebuild becomes Omega conversion

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

DarrylWebb
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:39 pm
Location: Northern Ireland
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 39 times

The Beige Se5a : rebuild becomes Omega conversion

Post by DarrylWebb » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks, Hugh. There's nothing to suggest it's worth doing the oil seal while in there. I think I just got unlucky.
Any photos I've found online of the thrust spacer don't show a groove. I have the local Vauxhall breaker checking his stock, as a new one is £50!!!
New crank pulley bolt ordered too.

Incidentally, I found Omega 'micro-fiche' diagrams, which might be a useful resource for others.
https://vauxhall.7zap.com/de/car/v94/e/5/


Scimega: Project X30XE Pro-Touring Scimitar

superleggo
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 9 times

The Beige Se5a : rebuild becomes Omega conversion

Post by superleggo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks for posting the Micro-fiche link.



User avatar
Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member
Posts: 19013
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:43 pm
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 432 times

The Beige Se5a : rebuild becomes Omega conversion

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:25 pm

DarrylWebb wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:58 pm
Incidentally, I found Omega 'micro-fiche' diagrams, which might be a useful resource for others.
https://vauxhall.7zap.com/de/car/v94/e/5/
That looks like a useful link, Darryl, so I've copied it to the Omega conversion "How To" sticky


....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Image

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

DarrylWebb
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:39 pm
Location: Northern Ireland
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 39 times

The Beige Se5a : rebuild becomes Omega conversion

Post by DarrylWebb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Having hunted the internet for the thrust washer, GM part number 90298202 is etched in my brain.
I had to go with a new one at just shy of £50 (Autovaux were the cheapest). At least it came without the grooved mark I had on the original.

Oil seal and thrust washer fitted, crank pulley torqued up, timing belt fitted and timed today. I'll leave it a few days to double-check I got the timing right. After that building up the front of the engine should be simple enough.


Scimega: Project X30XE Pro-Touring Scimitar

DarrylWebb
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:39 pm
Location: Northern Ireland
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 39 times

The Beige Se5a : rebuild becomes Omega conversion

Post by DarrylWebb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:43 pm

There were no dramas getting the front of the engine built again, so it lives once more. A video if you can wait on OneDrive calling it up :

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmY2jNmNfs0ZiiYpSqkTGyF-H_Do


Scimega: Project X30XE Pro-Touring Scimitar

superleggo
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 9 times

The Beige Se5a : rebuild becomes Omega conversion

Post by superleggo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:06 pm

Top work. Looks and sounds great. I am very envious.



Post Reply

Return to “Project Progress”