Wakeup Sully

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by philhoward » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:44 pm

Can’t beat a good postie delivery to lift the spirits! 8)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:22 pm

Good Evening All , well I am slowly moving on with Sully , with gradual adjustments of the gear selector rods the gear change has continued to improve ,I have been somewhat surprised that quite fine adjustments have made measurable improvement to a linkage system that is ,in my view point ,quite basic . A method of small adjustment, try , repeat on one rod is the way forward I have found .The new load cover [ now black ] along side the new gear knob and new gaiter has " pulled " the int together . Kept on bleeding clutch and this is now firm and the perceived leak from the slave has disappeared [ for now :!: ]. As is my norm looked at the Scim offerings on Ebay , admiring the Yellow [ I think I am safe in saying that is the colour :lol: ] 1971 5a ,then saw it was for sale in Skegness ,just down the road .Being a bit cheeky I contacted the seller ,nice man by the name of Sean , he had bought it on a bit of a whim and when it came found he could not get comfortable in it [seat and narrow pedal area ] sourced some XJS seats to replace the mr2 ones , not in yet , but I think had all ready decided it was not for him [he is a Rolls Royce owner as well ]. Will be going to see it this weekend ,just to compare a few bits on mine that I need a ref point on. [ Ebay ref 303599675766 ] looks to be a ex RSSOC car . Regards Richard .

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:53 pm

Have not updated for a while so decided to add a few small " movements " , most of the jobs have been those little ones that can consume some time ,juggling with the weather , work and other life issues . Gauges packed up [ fuel and temp ] so contacted Andy and sent my VR away for one of his updates plus a new pucca oil filter , hope to get them end of this coming week . Then my Rev counter gave up , one step forward one step back :( . Two of my head light trims have bad rust in the lower area so ,having placed an add in wanted , Jim offered a selection to choose from and I hope two good ones are on the way . [Thanks Mark for your offer ] Fettling the door cards , they look quite fair to good but I am tempted by the " custom " ones on Ebay with the pockets , umming and arring at present . Took my h/ lamp surround to a local paint supplier for a match to be made , came up as Old English BLMC 1205 [ or 120S , cannot read his writing ] tried a sample spray on lower front apron and it has to much of a yellow shade , spoke to the mixer who gave me a load of woffle about paint fade . Will try another firm , I think its more likely to be a Ford white . Blow on exhaust has got a bit worse so removed the heat wrap [ a bit like removing a mummies bandage after a 1000 years ] and found the blow to be coming from the area that the individual pipes join , not looking forward to this job as I have read about bolts shearing in heads ect . On a diverse issue , why does not Ebay sort out the person who continues to use other peoples car images as a scam add , surely ,due to the registration protocol they can id them and take action , or am I being a naive old man again . Regards Richard .

Scim8tar

Wakeup Sully

Post by Scim8tar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:15 pm

I reported the scam scim's today Richard, i think they have been removed now, if you see any more and want them removed you click on "report item" you then get a list with 3 multiple choice boxes, in the top box choose "listing practices" 2nd box choose "fraudulent activities" 3rd box choose "you suspect that a listing is fraudulent" then submit.

Paul

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by scimjim » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:54 pm

I reported them days ago.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:15 pm

Just an up date regarding the paint issue . The car has a slight scratch / hair line crack on the upper front wing , 1/2 an inch [ a issue I have noticed on a number of 5a , stress ? the car not me .] As mentioned before had some paint mixed by comparing a swatch with my head lamp surround , the swatch match was good but the mix came out with what I can only describe as a buttery white hue . Spoke to the mixer who gave me some Bs about fade . Today I went to Boston and went into VRS Automotive Paint Supply , took with me the part from the car and they put it on the scan computer , came up as a 99% match to CHEVROLET CREAM 17490 [ I have been driving a Stingray without realising ] , got a 400 ml tin made up for £12 . When back at home sprayed a sample patch on head light surround and it looks 99.8 % ok which is ok with me as I am not going to Villa d Este this year :lol: Regarding the electrical issues, I eagerly await the new VR from Andy , and I put a question on Gen Tech re Earthing which Jim ,Adam and Phil are " debating" as I type :wink: Regards Richard .

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:32 pm

Your regulator and filter left today by First class post. Had an hour's soak test and all is fine.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:47 pm

Thanks Andy , sent you a PM . Richard

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:49 pm

Evening All , just a up date , cannot praise Andy [AJL] enough , VR and EFL90 came as promised , spoke to Andy on the phone and he gave me advice re improving my earth and oil to use when I put the new filter on , hope I get a bit more oil pressure its not bad to be honest just over 50 cold start tick over then 20 warmed up tick over . . All gauges now work with the exception of the Rev Counter , which I know is another matter . Ordered the oil and also some Moly , I will add some to the gear box as I have a late overdrive and I read that the chance of messing the internals up is less of a risk :roll: . Fitted Jims head light trims after a bit of polish and paint inside [ thanks Jim ] . Still working on the indicators , now looking like 99% earth issues get one going and another one stops , will try the linking methods as suggested . I keep trying to get a better / deeper shine on the wing I sprayed , its not at all bad but compared with the other wing it scores 8 out of 10 . The more I look /feel the two wings [ yes , the neighbours are getting a bit concerned ] I am sure that the rest of the cars paint has been lacquered and that is why I cannot get the depth on the sprayed wing .The supplier of the paint said no need to lacquer but I am not convinced , any advise welcome . Went for a bit longer drive today and I must get the load space cover damped down a bit as it makes an annoying noise over uneven road surface [ thats all the roads in this part of Lincs ] also look at my rear drums as there is a low volume ,fluctuating " metallic " rubbing noise from both sides , does not sound like a bearing and it alters its tone when I lightly apply the hand break whilst moving , the wheels have been off more times than Warren Beattys trousers :shock: . All the best , Richard .

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:45 pm

Evening All , got some good advise from Andy [ AJL ] regarding the paint work which I am going to persue . Waiting for the oil to arrive , should have been today but delayed, should not worry at present due to the significant increase in items being sent rather than collected . Couple of new rear indicator holders came today so I can now focus on the light issues and make up link earths ect . Dont know how I did it but over ordered on the Moly , I have plenty for the engine , gear box and r axel with some left over , any suggestions of other uses [ no, this is a family site ] . Wondering how George ? is getting on with the poor running 5a [ BAP ] and his oil leak , havent seen a post for a few days . . Regards Richard .

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:04 pm

Oil came late yesterday so was able to drain and replace filter . Spun her over with ignition disabled to prime then started her , oil pressure 58 /59 at tick over [ it was a bit warm as I had run her up prior to the oil drain ] , went for a brief drive and pressure up to 60/65 fully warmed up with fan cycling . Came back and checked levels / no leaks. Added Moly and pressure drop by about 3/4lbs [ 53/54 ] on tick over but engine smother with less noise from steel timing gear . Left it running for a while and engine got noticeably quieter. Very happy with this outcome , that oil filter , EFL90 , supplied by Andy [AJL ] appears to have given me 6/8 more lbs ,I anticipate a further slight drop . BUT , when on the drive out I noticed the clutch was becoming softish again and the odd gear change was a little stiff , no leaks apparent so back to bleeding , I really put some fluid thru the system this time and part way thru the process , which had seen clear clutch fluid emerging . a cruddy dark fluid entered the bleed pipe and went onto float at the top of my bleed jar , kept going with clear fluid emerging and then screwed the nipple back up . The pedal felt firmer but I am still not 100% satisfied so I will return to it over the week end . I remember ,[ can not think of name , sorry ] a member telling me about the build up of crud in slave cylinders of cars that have been unused for some time as has mine . Keep safe, Richard .

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by adamwilkes » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:55 am

rjudcsx wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:04 pm
Added Moly and pressure drop by about 3/4lbs [ 53/54 ] on tick over but engine smother with less noise from steel timing gear . Left it running for a while and engine got noticeably quieter.
Good to hear that the Moly additive really has a good effect :D Must try it!

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:33 pm

I assume the slight pressure drop was due to better oil flow , or my 64 year old eyes not reading the gauge correctly . Went for a longer drive today [ clutch still not 100% but getting better ] and pressure 60 lbs +, hot , 40 /45 tick over, hot . Reduced noise from rocker area and cam gear . It appears to rev easier and feels less lumpy , or this may be the Moly psychological additive effect , anyway , it has made me feel a bit better . I have not discounted the effect of the efl90 ,which probably has had more impact on the pressure improvement . Still a tad unsure re adding some into gearbox but will probably do so tomorrow rather than watch the Grand Prix , let me know if the Vanwall wins please . Regards Richard .

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by efi_sprintgte » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:03 am

Is it a Manual OD gearbox?

JC

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:43 pm

Yes it is , but the late overdrive 5a 1974, some people say it is acceptable to put moly in this box [ but not the early one ] and people on the forum comment that they have run the cars for some miles without problems , as long as the overdrive is up to scratch in the first place . I think , in balance , I will give it a miss for now , just change the oil and clean the filters . Regards Richard .

Return to “Project Progress”