TSM - Bringing it back.... slowly

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Post Reply
Jc29cdo
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:06 pm

TSM - Bringing it back.... slowly

Post by Jc29cdo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi all,

I thought I would start a project progress for my 1979 SE6a.

I purchased TSM 616T from a RSSOC member back in August, you can read his thread here:
http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... 8t#p335427

Since being in my ownership I have completely stripped the interior (seats, carpets, panels – see attached picture) so that I could release the body from the chassis. All securing bolts have been removed by either drilling or grinding and replaced with stainless steel bolts. I decided to do this so that I could raise the body 6 inch off the chassis so that I could assess and concentrate on the chassis. Upon raising it I discovered that the chassis was worse than we both thought! However I have secured new fresh metal for the front outriggers, side rails and rear horizontal outriggers (see attached picture of replacement metal) as well other rust patches to be put in place of the old metal. I’ve had to cut holes in the side of the body to expose the seatbelt mounts / rollbar as these has perished beyond repair, I also have the replacement parts for the mounts. I dropped TSM off to the welders last night so it will be up there for a few weeks whilst they work on it, they will complete the welding and conduct a full waxoil so it should hopefully last another 40 years.

Alongside this I have also been replacing some of the old electrical components and water proofing the majority of the connections where the wires have been spliced. I have also reconditioned the seats, polished the wheels and fixed the blower motors.

Jobs left to complete:
Finalise electrics – install new fuse box and get the rear lights to work (earthing issue I believe)
Install new lights all round – picked up new front lights from a car show a few weeks ago.
Engine tune – I have serviced the carb however need to drop all fluids and give it a good flush.
Refit interior with new carpets
Assess and recondition the heater matrix as I currently have no hot air.
Install new exhaust system - this got ripped of yesterday whilst loading it on a flatbed.
Either recommission the power steering or install manual steering
Everything else that will inevitability turn up

It is currently off the road at the moment however will be dropping it off for a Engineers Report (in place of an MOT) once the above list is complete. I want to get in safe on the road by the 18th January 2019 as this is when it turns 40.

I have intentions of getting it prepped for a respray however due to financial constraints (my wife) this may have to be delayed until late next year!

As frustrating as it can be sometimes I can honestly say that I have very much enjoyed my Scimitar ownership so far, however this may be down to me having a beer fridge in my garage.
1 - Scimitar GTE.JPG
1 - Scimitar GTE.JPG (221.68 KiB) Viewed 225 times
2 - Interior Stripped.JPG
2 - Interior Stripped.JPG (122.88 KiB) Viewed 225 times
3 - Replacement Metal.JPG
3 - Replacement Metal.JPG (256.42 KiB) Viewed 225 times
4 - NSF Outrigger.JPG
4 - NSF Outrigger.JPG (109.71 KiB) Viewed 225 times
5 - OSR Horizontal Outrigger.JPG
5 - OSR Horizontal Outrigger.JPG (224.06 KiB) Viewed 225 times
6 - Off to the welder minus an exhaust.JPG
6 - Off to the welder minus an exhaust.JPG (213.07 KiB) Viewed 225 times



Will Yarrow
RSSOC Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:46 pm
Location: Barnet
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

TSM - Bringing it back.... slowly

Post by Will Yarrow » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:56 pm

I really need a beer fridge in the garage, looks a good project, good luck.



Post Reply

Return to “Project Progress”