The "Mighty" SE6 - Internal Recycling

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

philhoward
RSSOC Member

"Mighty" SE6 - Rock and Roll!

Post by philhoward » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:41 am

I'll be honest and say I was a Winter tyre sceptic until I had some fitted when over in Germany and it was a revelation - they're not only for snow as the increase in grip in cold and wet weather (over "normal" tyres) beggars belief.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:51 am

Well that explains why the zafira we had for 6 months went from ok to dog mess in the grip dept during a brief cold snap now...

The front tyres were winter (mud and snow)ones, that had to be replaced as they were scrubbing like billy-o And had chunks coming off the entire tread.

Put some Mohawk/landsail ones on at everyone's request but the car, even though it was an absolute shed, got even worse...to the point sarina refused to drive it, so it was down to me as I needed to drive several miles a day for work.

Speaking of, what's easier to come by the Dunlop composites or the pressed steel? Mightys got a pressed steel spare so would only need 3 of them, but then me being me I'd like to try and get 4 trims for them as well so it looks like they're meant to be there

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Money best spent on a quality all season or winter tyre, then protect the Wolfies in winter with liberal application of Vaseline.

Can't think composites would in any way be the best choice given how they deteriorate and are very difficult to refurbish.

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Post by efi_sprintgte » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:18 pm

I used to use winter tyres on a old set of wolfies I powder coated silver.

Then had the polished set for summer/shows.

I agree with RR, just get some cross climates on your existing wolfies if budget is tight.

JC

td99
RSSOC Member

Post by td99 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:55 pm

After winter tyres, if you're really serious (and have the cash...) get an LSD. Transforms the rear-lightweight SS1 in snow and slippery damp conditions, so no doubt also great in a breadvan.
In my view FWD gives a driver overconfidence in snow etc, accelerates better but brakes same or worse, resulting in...problems.

Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:04 am

Oil pressure question time,

So Mighty since a head gasket change has this odd habit of sometimes, according to the gauge in car, of going very low on her pressure, but it ramps back up to normal under any throttle/load. Had a quick chat with Phil T and from Terrys knowledge as an owner seems to be just an oddity...

For reference pressure is normally just on or just over 24 when warm, but sometimes it drops to what I'd estimate 10/15 when it "drops off"

Worth keeping an eye on or just forget about it as it normalises on throttle but at extended idle times it creeps back down.

Bit shut the engine off and restart immediately and it's back up...could it even be the dial mis reading?

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Post by efi_sprintgte » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:40 am

What rpm is it showing when the pressure drops out?

I would go down the EFL90 oil filter and maybe some penrite 20W60 route to see if that cures the issue

JC

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:26 am

Around the 1000 rpm mark, anything above natural idle when warm and it perks back to the expected pressure range

Fitted with and EFL 90 filter with a spare one for when I service. Have 5 litres of 20w50

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Post by efi_sprintgte » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:30 am

Is it a new symptom?

I have had filters with issues but to be honest it sounds more like bottom end wear. Might be worth just chucking your other filter on and seeing if it goes away.

See if 20w60 restores the pressure abit (one engine we had went on for about 50,000 miles before we eventually gave in and rebuilt it)

JC

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:49 am

It's not done any mileage since it's last filter and oil change and was flushed through with flushing oil before filling with fresh oil and new EFL90 filter, as a matter of fact it had two oil changes in very quick succession as I'd put a Fram filter on and thought that might be causing the problem, so changed the oil again. Sump was dropped and inspected for anything odd like bits of gasket but nothing was found and pump taken off and was found to be OK. I think that when the heads were done the oil ways may have been restricted by the gasket somehow, Gaskets were supplied by Matt Greenly and were good quality. Other than that it's been like it for about 10 years or more now.
Regards Terry H

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Is the rpm too low
The rev counter can be misleading

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:21 pm

Terry, thanks for reminding me of things you've said and is totally forgotten, I remember the heads were changed but not the double filter change and barely and milage in that time and how long ago the heads were done.

Steve, it's a possibility the rev counter could be out but I'd have to get another to be sure. According to the one fitted, when cold and not on choke it isles around 500rpm and goes up to 1000 when warm.

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Revs seem to have dropped a bit, used to be 750 rpm which is what it should be. We could have a look at that when your down here next, and check the timing again.
Regards Terry H

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Solved the low revs issue, it was me...not properly priming the carb on a cold engine :oops:

Don't think I could have gotten away with that without the gauzes...

Other than that not much to say really, still clocking up miles happily, getting attention regularly from passers by, and have had the usual slimevall askingnme to sell them the car as they want the engine and gearbox and scrap the rest...

My 4 year old say it best.. :lol: amazing how offended he sounded saying "No now go away"...but nowhere near as politely :roll: :oops: :?

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

demonbluedays

The "Mighty" SE6 - Internal Recycling

Post by demonbluedays » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:45 pm

Picked up some of the vast quality spares from Terry this morning including one very flat dash top to replace my sorry looking one among a lot of others.

Having just sent the boys to bed (after an hour long running argument slash explanation to Charlie with the help of Mr King that him having Number one in his possession is not going to happen any time in the distant future, followed by him now wanting a 1800Ti because it's got a Turbo after seeing the ss1 project advertised in CCW :roll:) I had a thought, now excusing the poor light as the flash on my phone made it impossible to see so had to use the interior lights with engine running for good photos....is there any hope of salvaging the current dash top so it can go in the spares pile to help me/someone else in the future?
20181108_202440.jpg
20181108_202440.jpg (103.73 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Please excuse Bonnie dangling in the way... :lol: (yes its a character from a video game, the Fox has "Foxy" dangling in the same place....)
20181108_202415.jpg
20181108_202415.jpg (95.93 KiB) Viewed 124 times

The reason behind asking is I'd like to try recycling by either repair or rejuvinating as many parts as I can as one Torfaen council are funny buggers about disposal of anything at the tip lately and secondly if and when during winter lack of light means I can't go out to play on Mighty herself, I've got other jobs to keep me busy.

Oh and I may have asked before but going to be swapping the rocker cover gaskets soon to rubber ones, would hylomar be suitable to make a decent seal, or does anyone have any better sealant soloutions? The drivers side bank has a small weep right at front edge so going to hopefully next week/week after get them swapped over before the weep becomes a leak.

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

Return to “Project Progress”