Joe's 1972 GTE - Post Paint Refitting

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Joe's 1972 GTE - (Bodywork & paint prep)

Post by scimjim » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:26 pm

My old Cooper S is Chilli red and hasn’t faded after 14 years :D

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:51 pm

What a great transformation. I guess the car will be pressed back in to service soon...

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build, see: "551 a race oddity" in Project Progress
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winners in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:08 am

scimjim wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:26 pm
My old Cooper S is Chilli red and hasn’t faded after 14 years :D
That was somthing I thought of when picking the colour, I can't remember ever seeing a new MINI with faded red paint - I also liked the connection between the names Mexican Red and Chilli Red
BigBobPilot wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:51 pm
What a great transformation. I guess the car will be pressed back in to service soon...
I was hoping for the beginning of January as a back on the road date but it will depend on how much time I get off work and if Dave is available to help with some of the tasks where its good to have a second pair of hands Ie fitting the door frames & bumpers. I've got a decent selection of new bits to go back on which I've been collecting over the last 7 years and have been waiting for the car to be asthetically good enough to put them on!

I still need to sort out what I'm doing about a windscreen, the one that came out is both scrached and chipped and I doubt it would pass an MOT. (it was fitted as a temporary fix after the old screen shattered into a thousand bits earlier in the year.) I'd like a heated screen but the logistics are difficult (IE picking it up.) and cash is also a bit tight.

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Joe's 1972 GTE - (NOW IN COLOUR)

Post by MikeT » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Well, although I was all for highland purple - that looks cracking!

Nice work :)

1978 Scimitar SE6a - Project thread

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Joe's 1972 GTE - (NOW IN COLOUR)

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:20 pm

That looks great, well done (both to you, and the paintshop). :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 am

When the car came back from the painters there were a number of areas that I wasn’t entirely happy with and which were going to need some remedial attention. (because I'm actually a massive pedant. )

In a few places there was too much overspray such as here on the anti-roll bar:

In the same photo the return lip on the wheel arch paint runs out early- which while not major can be seen on full lock.

There were also spots like this one under the front which had no paint on at all...

On a fibreglass car it may not be a corrosion risk and tucked away so low few people would ever spot it... but leaving it would offend me every time I went under the car... I recon that at least it needs to be the right colour....!

So I ordered a rattle can of chilli red paint online and decided to touch it up myself, I've also ordered a small touch up pot to deal with any minor chips that occur during refitting and a can of lacquer. after all what do you do when you've just paid someone else to paint your car... crack open the rattle cans...

The wheelarches were generally pretty untidy with a mix of painted and unpainted surfaces. My personal preference is for black wheel arches so I decided to touch them up with black....

The interior of the car was pretty grim when it came back from the painters too... I sent it off with the seats well wrapped but for whatever reason alot of the protection had been removed and the interior was covered in dust.

In the new year the Chilli Red paint arrived and I repainted some of the most needed area's This spot in the engine bay had no paint on it before....

Similarly, the servo side was also short of paint...

The wheel arches and under body areas were also touched up...

I also had a look at some of the parts that I was about to refit... The taillight bodies were looking a bit scabby and the lenses were not much better with many of them missing studs...

I rummaged though my spares and managed to find a decent set set of lenses and I sanded the bodies down and repainted them in satin black...

Not mint but generally alot better than they were.

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Post by efi_sprintgte » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:16 am

Don’t worry, we’ve all been there.. I hate overspray on suspension too!!

JC

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:36 am

Unbelievable that they would even consider giving you the car back in that state. We always give the cars a really good clean before the customer gets it back, if only to show off the new paintwork to its best.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:41 pm

I"ve still got a bit more clearing up to do around the petrol tank as I missed it when I cleaned up the underside of the car! There are a few details about the paint that I'm not that happy with. There were problems with clear coat inclusions the paint the topcoat in places was thiner than I'd have liked. Both issues required remedial work from the paintshop to fix. Its still a nice result I dont think any concors cars need worry but its very presentable!

Following on from the last post I decided the seats were going to have to come out in order to clean the carpet. Something I had resisted doing while I was prepping the bodywork as psychologically I guess I really wanted to keep part of the car intact.

Also the interior (heavily refreshed in 2011 was one of the nicer parts of the car and in theory* shouldnt have need to be touched. In the end I bowed to the inevitable, the seats had to come out in order to get the pop rivet gun in place to re-rivet the aluminium door seal protector.

The carpet underneath also needed a proper clean:

The overcarpet is only held in with a few poppers and is easily removed, So I took advantage of having the seats out to repair a crack in the rear footwell that was caused by the car slipping off a jack a few years ago.

With the carpets up I've also added a bit of anti vibration dampening. we use similar products at work and they help remove transmitted vibration and don't add too much weight.

I've also added a some more sound insulation, to the floors, heater blower motors etc

Lousy picture but you get the idea:

Fitted the refurbished tailights and a few more badges...

The 5a has quite a bit of steelwork in the nose of the car. Its a clever bit of design which does several important jobs: It ties the Front bumpers to the chassis, Supports the nose of the car preventing the fibreglass from drooping. It serves as ducting to the radiator and it forms the base for the tray holds the spare wheel.

The Reliant parts list 1971 gives a reasonable illustration:

The steelwork that was on my car was in pretty poor condition its a wet area of the car and takes a lot of punishment from the elements. The steelwork on my car had also deformed when I hit the deer earlier in the year. As the picture of the drivers side triangle below shows.

The steelwork deforming in the event of a crash seems to be a real advantage of this design as the sacrificial triangle absorbs some of the impact and reduces the chance of damage being transmitted back onto the chassis.

A look round a one of my garages full of parts and I found a reasonable used set of parts:

Steelwork refitted, the stainless grill went in first!

With the nose steel in I moved onto the bumper Irons, The ones that came off were a bit misshapen and corroded they could possibly have been saved with a bit of work....

Fortunately, I had some New old stock ones,

Which I used as a template to get some new ones made in stainless:

I've protected the bodywork with self adhesive rubber strip on the back of the bumper brackets & bumper irons.

Heres a photo of the refitted bumper irons and stainless overiders fitted. The overiders are a Harrington’s set and while the standard of finish is reasonable they did require quite a bit of adjustment.

As a reward for reading this far here’s a few more photos of shiny bits that are now attached:

A new roof Ariel

Sill trims (etched stainless attached with stainless pop rivets)

Factory spec Lucas door reflectors, (only some cars seem to have these from factory) and mine was missing them.

I reattached a new piece of exterior viynl to each of the B-pillars.

With the b pillar trims back on I could think about reattaching the gutters,

I gave them a clean to remove historic overspray:

The cleaned gutter then had some new butyl tape applied to make it waterproof. its about 1mm thick by 12mm wide.

Luckily Dave had a spare day and was able to give me a hand refitting them.

We started at the C-pillar and worked our way forward.

Peeling the cover back of the tape in stages to prevent it sticking in the wrong places.

Here’s the finished result:

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:55 pm

Hey,

I see this for the first time really! Great work, reminds me of restoring mine.

If I am allowed a tipp: Test if the gutter leaks Water through the seal befor putting the seals ans windows in.
Mine does terribly leak and one source (maybe) the gutter seal not fitted correctly.

Not sure if yours are any better than mine but mine have been TERRIBLY rivetted in situ. I did not find a better way of fitting. Probably a light coat of Sikaflex and attaching them in place nicely would be the solution and long time watertight...

Sikaflex seems to be the solution to all our fiberglass-boat issues :)

Are your bumpers stainless polished stuff?

1975 SE5a restoration link
Image Image

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 am

I havent tested the gutters for leaks yet, though I guess I probably should! I deliberatly chose butyl tape rather than a polyurethane type adhesive as the nature of the gutters means that its hard to make a neat job of cleaning up the excess that would be squeezed out.

The bumpers I've got are a harringtons set (same as can be bought from graham walker.) So far I've only fitted the overiders. The stainless bumper brackets themselves I had made by a local fabricator. I did a small batch enough for my GTE and a coupé I had them made a while back and they have been sat on the shelf ever since!

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Post by Rev Light » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:45 pm

I ran a bead of silicon round mine whilst in situ. A neat job can be made of it. No more leaks.

Steve

SE5a 'Fancier'

1969SE5
RSSOC Member

Post by 1969SE5 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi Joe

looking good, could I ask what rivets you chose to refit the gutters ? its my next task and have been debating with myself the way forward...........

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

MikeyBikey

Post by MikeyBikey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:45 pm

Yes looking good Joe,

I went gutterless... . Occasional water in when I open the door but not often.

Owner of a fantastic se5a (nee 5 speed) that's a bit quick (well, feels like it is!!) and now running on lpg
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8036
And is now going sprinting viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24376

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Rev Light wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:45 pm
I ran a bead of silicon round mine whilst in situ. A neat job can be made of it. No more leaks.

Steve
Yes, I sealed my gutters in situ the same way (they did leak before, but not after). I haven't had to remove the rivets, they may be peel rivets, to spread the load better?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Return to “Project Progress”