Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Re: Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

Post by AnotherTim » Thu May 18, 2017 7:03 pm

It's like Putin's non-linear warfare theory, with calendars as weapons. She can literally do anything now, as long as she's taped a calendar somewhere unseen beforehand.

===
Ghost in the machine
===

The Dog
RSSOC Member

Post by The Dog » Thu May 18, 2017 7:13 pm

:lol: Still laughing 2 minutes later.....very funny - you should consider a book on this subject...seriously

Nigel (The Dog) - 1982 SE6B Auto/BMW 5 series F60 Touring/Merc W212 E350CDi Sport Estate

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri May 19, 2017 10:48 am

Well, this happened this morning.

https://vid.me/eLNr

===
Ghost in the machine
===

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri May 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Well done Tim, that's great! :D :hurrah:

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri May 19, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm a little disappointed that my new gears don't seem to make any noise at all. I was hoping for a telltale signature that let's everybody know I've changed my timing gears.

Got the rev counter working again.

Had a moment with the timing gun where I realised I was 180 degrees from the firing line. That would obviously be a challenge to a less experienced mechanic. Fortunately my years of experience eventually stood me in good stead and once the screaming subsided I was able to diagnose that the timing gun was on the wrong HT lead.

It sits bang on the mark at idle, and moves to about 10pm (about an inch+ to the left) at hearty revs.

I presume, for now, that that is good enough.

===
Ghost in the machine
===

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri May 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks for the congrats just now Roger, and also - more importantly - thank you for taking the time to drop by Wednesday and give me a few much needed pointers, I really appreciated it and you tipped me off about a few things (oiling gears, centring the crank end in the cover etc etc) that I hadn't considered. In my general state of hysteria I completely forgot to say thank you. I owe you one!

===
Ghost in the machine
===

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri May 19, 2017 3:35 pm

I would also like to thank Jim and Phil for making the timings gears available and in particular Jim for putting so much of his own time into supplying them, for all their patience and advice, as well as everybody else on here for chipping in with suggestions, advice, encouragement and generally putting up with me throughout this difficult time. I must thank the producer, our wonderful director, the cast and crew, my good friend Rover John for bullying me unkindly and prodding me relentlessly with accusations that I'm a coward and I don't know how to look after old cars properly... without friends like that I don't think I'd have anything to prove and nothing would get done.... thanks also to my long suffering wife who has never given up on her heartfelt belief that she could have done much better in life if she'd married someone else who knew what they were doing... I'd like to thank my dad for showing me at a very early age, night after night for many years that BMX bikes absolutely cannot be fixed by roaring at them like a psychopath with a crimson face and forehead veins pulsing dangerously close to the point of maximum elasticity, and finally to all those people out there with metal timing gear sets in the cupboard who feel too afraid to tackle it... like I said before, if I can do it you can do it although keep in mind my car hasn't actually moved anywhere yet and could still blow up at any moment so don't listen to me it could all go horribly wrong just leave them in the cupboard you'll be fine if it aint broke don't fix it thats my motto and its probably enough to just own them you don't really need the hassle of fitting them as well thats probably overkill just relax, don't do it. You'll be fine. Probably.

===
Ghost in the machine
===

The Dog
RSSOC Member

Post by The Dog » Fri May 19, 2017 4:07 pm

AnotherTim wrote:Well, this happened this morning.

https://vid.me/eLNr
Well done - I have to bang the top of my dash sometimes to get the rev counter working :D

Nigel (The Dog) - 1982 SE6B Auto/BMW 5 series F60 Touring/Merc W212 E350CDi Sport Estate

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri May 19, 2017 4:26 pm

I fixed mine by pressing the glass with my thumb.

=)

===
Ghost in the machine
===

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri May 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Drives good. Job done.

Next thing to tackle... Creeping amount of vertical wiggle at the steering wheel. Noticed it a month ago. It felt like it had got a bit worse tonight.

===
Ghost in the machine
===

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri May 19, 2017 10:45 pm

They're not supported particularly well by today's standards - check its at the top and not the bulkhead? Common mod is an exhaust clamp to tie it to the pedal box.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 pm

I think its probably only the mounts or whatever braces it. It's not so bad that it's a concern though it could possibly be an MOT fail I guess. I'll find some time this weekend to have a mooch and see what I find.

===
Ghost in the machine
===

Mr Bridger
RSSOC Member

Post by Mr Bridger » Sat May 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Well done Tim!
By the way, cracking oil pressure you have there Sir!

1975 SE5a - Daily Driver
1970 Triumph Vitesse
1972 VW Camper Van
1965 Sunbeam Tiger

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Tue May 23, 2017 10:31 am

We'll I'm having fun today. I kept my booking at the garage that was going to do my timing gear. Asked them to do a preMOT mooch about and to look at my brakes, which have never been very good. Took an hour of morning traffic to get out of Brighton and past Worthing, then I opened the car up a bit on the A27 to clear out a few cobwebs. Got about half a mile from the turn off, and my brakes suddenly clamped on. I was at about 4000/4500rpm in 4th at the time.

Car did it's best attempt at an automatic emergency stop, and I found myself sat solid in the inside lane of a very fast road, on a bend.

Wouldn't budge. About 5 cars stopped to help push and it was welded solid to the road. Had to wait ten minutes then they let off so I pushed it onto the verge. Waited ten more minutes. Brakes felt okay again. Tried to drive off. Got about 20 yards on the verge, decided it would limp the last quarter mile, pulled back onto the road and it immediately seized again. Had to wait then push it off. Waiting for recovery now.

This kind of canny timing only seems to happen to me. Brakes have never seized before, but as they are not great I thought I'd take it in, and half a mile from my destination I'm scuppered. By the brakes!

Hey ho.
Last edited by AnotherTim on Wed May 24, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

===
Ghost in the machine
===

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue May 23, 2017 10:34 am

Various possibilities... Flexible brake line acting as a one way valve is favourite, the one that feeds the rear axle. Otherwise master cylinder seals or servo, in order of possibility.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Return to “Project Progress”