SE5 with Omega power

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: philhoward, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, erikscimitardemon

Re: SE5 with Omega power

Postby superleggo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:43 pm

Here is one of the Bentley's that has delayed my scimitar project

Now back on the road for a classy Sunday drive. Just ignore the fuel gauge and anyone who asks how many miles to the gallon it does. I measure it in smiles to the gallon!

Last edited by superleggo on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superleggo

Postby superleggo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:45 pm

I have developed a bit of a love affair for these so I bought another with a few issues.

Last edited by superleggo on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superleggo

Postby superleggo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Most of the Omega is now destined for the crusher once I have got all the bits I need. I am bound to leave something on the car I will regret later but I am seriously running out of space so the shell will have to go.

superleggo

Postby Nigel Clark » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 am

Well the last few posts cover pretty much the whole spectrum of British automobilia. Wow, I'm impressed! Just keep going and please keep posting.

Nigel
Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Postby philhoward » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:31 am

I've no idea if the EGR and SAI can be deleted from the ECU - I just kept them for simplicity.

Exhaust manifolds - I think one was a Calibra and one from a V6 Cavalier. It matters not in reality.
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby superleggo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:52 pm

Having spent an hour this evening pulling wires out of the tailgate and rear lights I am now getting bored of undoing clips but still resisting cutting the loom for speed of removal.

I have now tracked down some exhaust manifolds at a sensible price. Thanks for widening my search Phil. What were you doing up at 4.41am or are you out of the country?
I have also been reading Phil and Darryl dialogue on Corsa orange speed signal relays. so bought one of those as well. I am thinking of mounting the sensor on the gearbox output flange as this seems easy with the box out of the car. How many teeth do I need or where do I get a signal multiplier from. How do they work?

Is this suitable? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SpeedoDRD-Spe ... SwImRYCSZs
superleggo

Postby philhoward » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:59 am

I was up at 4:41 as it's shortly before my alarm goes off to walk the dogs then go to work.

The question is if you are going to be driving the Onega speedo or not, or is the speed signal just for the ECU? I'd have to trawl back through to find the calculation of pulses/mile. It's in my thread somewhere...
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby superleggo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:29 am

I was not planning on keeping the Omega clocks as I was wanting more of a 60/70's retro look inside the car. some of the new Smiths clock look the same as the originals but run electronically so I was hoping they would work. However I may just be creating more problems but that is half the fun of the project!

I will re-read you thread so I am back up to speed as it was 4 years ago I read it end to end and I am sure it will answer many other questions as well.
superleggo

Postby philhoward » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:31 am

I think you need something like 36,000 pulses per mile for the engine ECU (ideally) - standard Smiths electronic speedos (I've fitted but not got working a Jag XJ6 unit) require 2000 pulses per mile but if you are using universal gauges, they'll work with anything.

Here are my musings: search.php?keywords=pulses&t=9498&sf=msgonly
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby philhoward » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 am

I've got a couple of these units: https://www.jaycar.co.uk/corrector-spee ... e/p/AA0376 which seem to get a good writeup where I've looked on the net.
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby superleggo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:09 pm

I have had a fun few days stripping the Omega and I am getting nearer and empty shell.

Anyone for snakes and ladders!

I decided to take the whole loom as the loom in my SE5 is very poor and thought it may me easier to graft in the whole thing as there are some nice extras in the Omega. I managed to get the whole thing out without cutting it and I think I have labelled it at all terminations. I will dump the air con/hearer part as it is far too complex to be of any use and the heater box will not fit the SE% as it is massive. I will also dump the air bag circuits and some of the ABS and use Phil Howard's idea of how to generate a signal for the speedometer. The ABS seem attractive but without being able to graft the ABS rings on all the hubs it is useless. I am not sure about the alarm system as some of the wiring is grafted into the rear windows so an aftermarket may be the way to go.

I had a mad 2 mins and managed to break the wiring plug in the back of the ignition switch - plonker! However this may be a blessing in disguise as I do not like the look of the Omega key as it is too modern looking and I may find a 60's alternative and hide the immobiliser ring/key behind the dash.

I now need to give some thought to what else to take off the Omega before dumping it. some of the mounting brackets need cutting off to give me patterns for later.
superleggo

Postby philhoward » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:37 am

I salvaged the washer bottle from my old Omega - it's an easy shape to mount - and have fitted it behind the near side headlights.
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby superleggo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 am

Yes I thought that looked nice as well. I think I will keep most things at this stage except the heater which will never go back in. I can always dump them later but it is more than annoying to try and get hold of something later.

I am on the hunt for a Calton/senator gear linkage as it looks an easy fit on yours without cutting and welding the original.
superleggo

Postby philhoward » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:59 am

Chopping the Omega linkage isn't that tricky - I just took a shortcut because I already had a Carlton linkage. It also depends exactly where you put the engine..
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby superleggo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:50 pm

I am not afraid of cutting and shutting the linkage. I am just trying to find the alternative at loose change to save work as there will be lots more cutting and shutting in this project yet!!
superleggo

PreviousNext

Return to Project Progress