Need documentation on a SE5

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

MickP

Post by MickP » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:27 am

I have heard of wildly varying experiences too - sometimes the simplest thing can turn into a nightmare while what you might think would be very difficult is no problem at all. For example, I changed the frame number on a motorcycle by filling in the change section on the V5c and sending a rubbing of the number. Came back in a few days no problem what-so-ever.

Could it be that it just depends on the person dealing with the case and would it be best if the owner (or someone on his behalf) makes a general enquiry to DVLA about this type of situation?

Good luck anyway :wink: .
Last edited by MickP on Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SOLD: 1978 SE6a Auto.
1997 Ducati 900SS - Last carb. model.
1960 BSA Bantam D7 - more "fun" than the Ducati.
1998 Honda CG125 - great in slow traffic.
1981 Suzuki SB200 2-stroke twin - undergoing rebuild.
Gallery Project
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.” - Aldous Huxley.

Regis

Post by Regis » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:32 pm

Thank you very much for your helpful coments :D
I think i will try to go for a V765 in the first place, do I need special documentation to certify the date of construction ?

I'll let you know how it goes with DLVA and if they want to inspect it !

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:03 pm

There's an interesting article in this week's Classic Car Weekly, a different problem but it shows that the DVLA are mostly sympathetic. A 1973 Mercedes had a Q plate on it, and after proof of the car's age an age-related L plate was issued. The DVLA only wanted photographic proof of age, no visit was required.
Therefore it seems to me that getting a "Club Representative" to inspect the car and taking photographs, in particular the chassis number and the registration number, then the Club can provide supporting evidence (especially the comment above showing chassis numbers earlier and later than yours) and it ought to be straightforward.
The engine number isn't as important, as quite often cars will have had an engine change (mine certainly has, and as reported above, just notifying the DVLA will result in the V5 being updated to show the latest engine number). However, you will need to provide the DVLA with the current engine number so that they can put it in the V5.
Good luck, let us all know how you get on!

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Regis wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:32 pm
Thank you very much for your helpful coments :D
I think i will try to go for a V765 in the first place, do I need special documentation to certify the date of construction ?

I'll let you know how it goes with DLVA and if they want to inspect it !
Unless I read it wrong, then the one document you definitely need is the current V5C..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Regis

Post by Regis » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:13 pm

philhoward wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Unless I read it wrong, then the one document you definitely need is the current V5C..
Yes, you're right, it seems so... :/
Anyway, I'm going to have to make a new registration via the V55/5 form, but I guess if it's accompanied by a V765, it could help to pass easily... ?

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:10 pm

the DVLA are trying standardise the process but it does still have a human element and some DVLA employees are more by the book than others. Similarly there are owners who have different experiences over the years which don't reflect current practises.
The inspection of the vehicle can depend on what area the applicant lives in, a pilot scheme which required paid for inspections was trialed in some areas and is still on the cards to become national. Some applications can be straight forward if the current numbers on the application match the microfiche record. I can speak from a recent personal experience that a different engine number on my vehicle to that held on the DVLA microfiche system prevented me from recovering a vehicles original number but wasn't a bar to an age related plate. Many owners change an engine in a vehicle but very few inform the DVLA of the engine change this can often lead to problems and possibly a fine.

The DVLA have a lot of excellent information on their web page which will point you in the appropriate direction. good luck

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

Return to “Se5/5a”