Oil pump

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Penfold13
RSSOC Member

Oil pump

Post by Penfold13 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Hello,

I’ve found that I need to change my timing gear as it’s of the fibre variety. Whilst I’m ‘in there’, I was thinking of looking at what else I can do and my mind went to the oil pump. Is this a problem item? Should ai be looking at something like the Burton high pressure pump as an upgrade or does this cause more problems than it solves?

Anything else I should think about whilst I’m ‘in there’?

Thanks,
Chris

‘72 SE5A

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Oil pump

Post by Nigel Clark » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:48 pm

Generally Essex oil pumps last well, as long as the oil and filter have been changed regularly. Related problems that can occur are:

1. Build up of dirt particles in the sump, potentially blocking the oil pump pick-up strainer in the sump.

2. Worn pencil drive shaft, running from distributor drive down to oil pump. Wear here can be fatal, as the oil pump will stop. But it's unusual for this to happen in road use.

To deal with the first issue above, drop the sump, clean it out and clean the strainer. While the sump is off, it's not difficult to change the pencil drive as a precaution.

I've done this on my car, and its still showing good oil pressure at 88k miles.

Nigel

Penfold13
RSSOC Member

Oil pump

Post by Penfold13 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks Nigel, sounds like a good course of action.

‘72 SE5A

Return to “Se5/5a”