SE5a new member - chassis help wanted

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

User avatar
Pepe
Posts: 884
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:49 am
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 12 times

SE5a new member - chassis help wanted

Post by Pepe » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:09 pm

... need to admit I like silver Scimitars... And I do not like a lot of silver cars :)

(...) So I got underneath to have a good old poke around, chassis is generally solid as appeared on viewing. Side rails and rollover bar mounts have been repaired in the past and out riggers seem ok. However, to my disappointment there is small hole in the top of the right central chassis member in the engine bay just where it heads under the body.(...)

Strangley mine and some others have that all... Braking fluid overswapping, dropping on the rails, removing the paint...rust..hole :)

That had been welded over and I repaired it better when the body was off...bit difficult to reach.


1975 SE5a restoration link
Image Image

monkey135
RSSOC Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:02 pm

SE5a new member - chassis help wanted

Post by monkey135 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Well, been a while since I posted so thought it was time for an update. It might be useful to someone looking to do some repairs in the future. I got it up in the air to get underneath and have a good poke around.
IMG_20190217_160432.jpg
IMG_20190217_160432.jpg (174.22 KiB) Viewed 192 times
First I tackled the hole in the chassis, cutting out an access hole in the floor revealed the aforementioned hole in the main leg and some missing outrigger. Seems previous chassis repair was done using angle iron in the 90s according to extensive bills and history (only about 2k since). Although the repairs are done well and very solid they were done from underneath and so missed the extent of the rot on the top of outrigger.
IMG_20181209_172543.jpg
IMG_20181209_172543.jpg (256.86 KiB) Viewed 192 times
I welded in a couple of pieces to patch both areas, difficult getting in to the footwell head first with welding mask on. Therefore the welds are not my prettiest but nice and solid all the same. Same outrigger issue also corrected on the passenger side, no main chassis rail rot here, backing up Jim's brake fluid theory.
IMG_20181229_124803.jpg
IMG_20181229_124803.jpg (169.54 KiB) Viewed 192 times
Section of fibre glass re-bonded back in and then painted ready for carpets to be refitted.
IMG_20190217_155651.jpg
IMG_20190217_155651.jpg (179.55 KiB) Viewed 192 times
Next was to tackle the rear axle, after a bit of poking around it turned out to be quite bad and larger than the repair sections I bought from AJL. I initially made some longer ones, but during a period of procrastination over Christmas a 'good' axle case presented itself so I grabbed that one. After a very minor repair to a small hole I then painted it along with the bits I took off to get the it ready for re-assembly. Hope this diff is as good as the one that came off!
IMG_20190102_132933.jpg
IMG_20190102_132933.jpg (197.04 KiB) Viewed 192 times
IMG_20190203_140342.jpg
IMG_20190203_140342.jpg (194.54 KiB) Viewed 192 times
IMG_20190217_155623.jpg
IMG_20190217_155623.jpg (269.36 KiB) Viewed 192 times
IMG_20190217_155220.jpg
IMG_20190217_155220.jpg (212.73 KiB) Viewed 192 times

Took the tank off to check out the rear chassis, looks good, repaired in the past. So I painted it, fitted braided flexible hose and decided to put a new kunifer fuel line in as I damaged the nylon one taking it off.
IMG_20190217_155524.jpg
IMG_20190217_155524.jpg (206.15 KiB) Viewed 192 times
So next job is new brake pipes on rear axle and new wheel cylinders. Refit seats and carpet and then back into wheels to try to get it running properly (the original issue I thought I had when I bought it!!).

Ian


Ian

'72 SE5a, '57 MGA coupe, '59 MGA roadster (project)

Post Reply

Return to “Se5/5a”