What is this on a SE5 ?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

1969SE5
RSSOC Member

What is this on a SE5 ?

Post by 1969SE5 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:31 am

Hi chaps, often wondered what the 2 studs are projecting downward on the back of the bonnet, then i saw this pic on e-bay..... what is the metal looking plate for on the bulkhead, and why does it appear to be earthing the bonnet ?
what the.jpg
what the.jpg (164.17 KiB) Viewed 1022 times

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

What is this on a SE5 ?

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:10 am

It's part of the radio interference suppression shielding, which was fairly extensive on earlier cars and scaled-down on later ones. The bonnet is part of the system on all of them - if you thump the bonnet (mind your new paint!) you may hear it rattle, because it's lined with steel mesh. There's a pic of the early system here, in this old press cutting from Dave Poole's site:

I think most cars that had it, have had the full system discarded because it got in the way (and it probably wasn't as necessary with later radios). Even on 6-series cars, the bonnet is still earthed by braids connected to the hinges. I'm not sure how many cars had the "full" shielding, whether it was all Se5s,or only early ones?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

1969SE5
RSSOC Member

What is this on a SE5 ?

Post by 1969SE5 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:39 am

as they say 'everyday's a school day' , always wondered whether mine should have the tunnel/bulkhead alloy heatshields ? can't see any evidence of them having ever been there though.....

not sure how much of a benefit they are ?

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

What is this on a SE5 ?

Post by scimmy_man » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:43 am

a lot depends on what was specified radio wise,
also if Bill fitting the things could be bothered or even had one to fit that day.

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

What is this on a SE5 ?

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:13 pm

1969SE5 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:39 am
as they say 'everyday's a school day' , always wondered whether mine should have the tunnel/bulkhead alloy heatshields ? can't see any evidence of them having ever been there though.....

not sure how much of a benefit they are ?
scimmy_man wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:43 am
a lot depends on what was specified radio wise,
Re the heat insulation panels, according to the Se5 Parts List, before ch. 450715 (which presumably includes your "first 500" car?), they used a different heat shield, which was not handed (ie. 2x part no. 205308), unlike the later handed ones (like most cars have). The early type aren't illustrated, I'd guess they were smaller and more flat, allowing fitment on either side?

The rear suppression shield as on the photo, seems to have been standard.
As scimmy_man says the extra ones seem to vary with the radio install - the parts list shows them on the radio page, but not the radio/tape player page :)

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

philhoward
RSSOC Member

What is this on a SE5 ?

Post by philhoward » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Was it only Coupe/early SE5 ones that were Asbestos - or am I thinking of something else completely?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

What is this on a SE5 ?

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:22 pm

philhoward wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:14 pm
Was it only Coupe/early SE5 ones that were Asbestos - or am I thinking of something else completely?
I don't know, Phil, you may be correct though. The parts list doesn't mention the material, though a hint may come in the name - the early ones are called "Heat Insulation" whereas the later ones are called "Heat Shield" and the attachment rivets are different.

....Roger

1969SE5
RSSOC Member

What is this on a SE5 ?

Post by 1969SE5 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:53 am

mine does have insulation, so i think you are right ! another mystery solved.......

Return to “Se5/5a”