4HA axle SE6a rear drums on a SE5a Axle. Possible to mount and swap?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Ian have I sent you stuff in the past??.

I DO understand that MGB drums are around 25% the cost of Reliant Lockheed drums, but the "Offset" is very different to the Salisbury setup.

Another slight problem if converting from Girling to the Lockheed MGB setup is a lack of New backplates, they have been NLA wherever I have asked, also they DO NEED the mounting holes rotated or the handbrake cable and lever will not line up or work correctly.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:03 am

... I understand although similar to other parts SE5A brake drums are specific due to hub offset.

But are se6 series brake drums 1:1 carry over from mgb or other cars with no machining?

Se5a backplates in my case where re-drilled parts to have the correct rotation for handbrake cable.

disc conversion for me is no option as
A) not road legal in Germany (single circuit brakes have to have an independent backup like the cable operated drums - even if weak you can stop when dingle circuit leaks)
B) want to keep looks similar to original.

I can confirm I have all fat shank bolts on my 5a sets but one spare wheel from a 6 with smaller shank holes...

1975 SE5a restoration link
Image Image

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:04 pm

pepe
your Girling backplates should not have been re drilled to move them to accept the original handbrake cable??.
It should have come from Salisbury ready to suit the Scimitar, I`m confused now, LOL.
The Lockheed has to be repositioned to suit the different mounting bracket welded to the axle tube.

In answer to your question " is SE6 a 1:1 carryover from mgb " NO, we should also refer to the two systems as Early Girling,( SE6 ) Later Lockheed, (SE6a ) both of which were fitted to SE6/SE6a.
The MGB Banjo half shaft has a much thinner drum mounting hub so that drum is "Nearer" the offset of Scimitar, the tube type has the hub fitted on splines so mounts further back inside the drum.

It "May" be possible to machine the inside of an early Banjo type drum to make it fit a "Modified" Scimitar hub, but a later Tube type drum would not have enough material in it to allow re machining.

I looked at the modifications many years ago and realised it would not be a cost effective modification at the time.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:45 pm

This thread is a bit older bit here is a pic of my brake backplates found on my 4HA axle...

Image Image

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:03 am
disc conversion for me is no option as
A) not road legal in Germany (single circuit brakes have to have an independent backup like the cable operated drums - even if weak you can stop when dingle circuit leaks)
Rear disc conversion still has a cable operated handbrake.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi Jim,

after some time coming back to this: I should have added: Disc conversion for me is no option. The Cable brake works yes, but it is very weak by default. So I'd rather keep the brakes original.

What sounds nice to me would SE5a fron disc, ventilated conversion and SE6 rear brakes with proper Dual circuit MBC (from SE6 if piston sizes allow). Booster would be main broblem as ideally it should be a small tandem one to increase efficiency and still be able to fit it in engine compartment.
I once figured out a MCC Smart would be a good fit (Booster and ratio seemed to have been correct).

It is too long ago so I do not remember the components I had a look at precisely...

Image Image

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:33 pm

As far as I know there is not a current Vented disc available to fit the Girling calipers, there are however grooved and drilled available.

I have a few sets in stock as I convert them to fit the later Lockheed setup.

I actually went to visit Moss Europe yesterday and took a Coupe drum with me for a comparison with a TR3a New drum, they were different and the offset was wrong, so I can rule out getting new drums even though the TR has either 9" or the 10" option.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:53 pm

right... Should have said modified / spacered Girlings...

Was the coupe drum the same as SE5?

Image Image

Return to “Se5/5a”