Timing gear replacement

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

TonySmallcar
RSSOC Member

Timing gear replacement

Post by TonySmallcar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi All.
I am a new and very proud owner of my SE5a which is something of a rolling project.
The timing gears are making a terrible noise (bag of nails in a washing machine) and there is a hiccup at heavy acceleration so I have a feeling they need changing.
I can't see a receipt for it being done before in the mountain of paperwork I have, figure it needs to done anyway.
Unfortunately I don't have the set up to do this on the driveway (primarily as i don't have one) so will need my local garage to do it. I have a good relationship with them and use them for our work fleet (of classic minis), however we can't find a guide for the labour time needed for the gear change.
Can anyone help give me an idea of man hours involved? I'm sure it's nowhere near as quick and simple as it looks.
Cheers
Tony

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Re: Timing gear replacement

Post by peter freeman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:40 pm

From memory it took me about 4hours.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Doubt very much it will be timing gears, unless it has the made in a shed with an angle grinder and hand drill type of steel replacements fitted in the past.

I have heard these gears fitted and they can be very noisy.

In my experience of Ford timing wheel faults they either work or don't, nothing in between.

It`s more than likely the petrol pump studs are too long and one is rubbing on the timing gear.

Incidentally, Ford fitted studs with only just enough UNC thread to fit the alloy cover without protruding into the insides, but I have seen bolts used instead of the studs and these can be wound too far in.

So I would look at the petrol pump mounting first before spending shed loads on timing wheels, which if they are replaced by metal or alloy ones, should be matched to the crank nose wheel/gear.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Are you 100% sure it's the timing gears? The original ones are silent; steel/aluminium replacements can whine like a supercharger. Something rattling like nails in a washing machine sounds like it could be idler pulley bearings (or a dying water pump or alternator) - test by dropping the drive belt off and running it for only a few seconds (as the water pump won't be running).

Could also be the fuel pump studs/bolts..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

TonySmallcar
RSSOC Member

Post by TonySmallcar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks all. Thew alternator is definitely noisey and due for replacement this week, I will check the rest whilst there.
It would be great news to hear that i don't need £150 quids worth of alloy gear!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:45 pm

TonySmallcar wrote:Thanks all. Thew alternator is definitely noisey and due for replacement this week, I will check the rest whilst there.
It would be great news to hear that i don't need £150 quids worth of alloy gear!
While it's always a bit tricky to diagnose other people's noises, from a description, I tend to agree with the others, that your symptoms don't really sound like a timing gear problem.

*However*......

To say that means you don't need to replace your timing gear, would be going a bit too far. That would only be true if you've already got a steel or alloy replacement. If you've got the original fibre or nylon types, then you really should be budgeting for a steel/alloy replacement in the not too distant future. Think of it as being like a timing belt, which you would have to replace, except with our cars there is no need to keep doing the job - the metal gears are an everlasting replacement :)

[ps. You can check which type you have by removing the petrol pump and looking in through the hole.]

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Alternator bearings can be re-greased or if too worn can have new ones put in.

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

*JP*

Post by *JP* » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:39 pm

I've replaced the idler pulley bearing on an 80k mile engine,loud rattle/knock was the reason.
Take the belt off and spin the pulley by hand to confirm if the bearing is the source of the noise.

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:Alternator bearings can be re-greased or if too worn can have new ones put in.
Can be done in the kitchen.......however solid granite worktops no good....wood/composite better so you can drill the holes to fit a good vice (temporarily of course) :shock:

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:36 pm

There's a few guides on here if you search (perhaps one could be moved to the "how to" section?)

this one for example.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1600 SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: SE6a (Katrina), 1400EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick), 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), TI SS1 (snotty), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Se5/5a”