ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Notices, Comments, Reviews etc.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by ScimmyMike » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:46 pm

For those who like me who don't usually visit the forum's homepage please see this very important message about ScimFest@curborough

Bookings for the Club’s flagship weekend and best event of the year – ScimFest at the Curborough Sprint Course (previously known as the National Sporting Weekend) – are severely down on last year and if they do not pick up very soon the event is projected to run at a sizeable financial loss to the Club and hence the members. The event will go ahead as it is too late to cancel everything now, but if there is insufficient support this year we may have to reconsider plans for 2018, which is the 50th Anniversary of the GTE. A huge amount of work goes on by volunteers to set up the temporary campsite, etc. to bring you ScimFest @ Curborough and it would be a massive shame for all to see that effort wasted.
It is not too late to book, so if you are thinking of attending, but have just not got round to booking yet, please order your advanced programme and book your camping pitch and event tickets as soon as possible.
Tickets can be bought from the Club Shop or direct from the Club Secretary (see Slice 275 pages 56-62 and the links below).
Telephone bookings to the Club Office on 01189540725 can be made right up until Tuesday 15 August 2017 and tickets can be collected on arrival if too late to post out.
We hope to see you there.
For more information click here and for the booking form click here.
Bookings are now being accepted through the Club Merchandise Shop: RSSOC Shop item

Remember that it's cheaper to book in advance as one programme covers car and passenger, see flyer for details, no advanced programme and each passenger will be charged.
Thank you and see you all there.

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

scimitargtc
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by scimitargtc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:15 pm

'TICKET' JUST ARRIVED = THE PROG HAS BEEN STAPLED TOGETHER BUTT ABOUT FACE WITH IS APPEARING AS PAGE 1 THEN 2 UNNUMBERED PAGES, THEN 4, 5 THEN 2 THEN 3 THEN 8 -I SIMPLES TO READ IT IN ORDER AND NOT AN ISSUE - JUST THOUGHT I'D BE ANAL INBETWEEN FITTING A NEW INLET MANIFOLD GASKET AND REPLACEMENT MANIFOLD - HAD FORGOTTEN HOW MANY BITS NEED TO BE REMOVED - GUESSED AN HOUR = I TOOK 1 HOUR 10 MINS AND ANOTHER 20 RELEASING THE W SPACER :( RIGHT BACK TO IT - OFF ON PEARL WEDDING ANNIVERSARY SUNDY THEN S BREAK FOR A WEEK JUST HOPE I HAVE TIME TO BOOK AND PASS AN MOT - BE GOOD TO HAVE THE OLD GIRL BACK UP AND ON THE ROAD AGAIN

1979 se6a auto pas 3.0v6 (unnamed)
1998 Range Rover 4.6 v8 auto (unnamed)
2016 Nissan QashQai 1.6 Tekna CVT dci ("Quentin")
2019 Skoda Cititgo MPI SEL Greentech ("Clyde")
Space for 5 more! Money for none!!

rebel alliance

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by rebel alliance » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Wow 😊

tintop
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by tintop » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:15 pm

A party of us have been going to Curborough now for over 20 years, and on the whole had a great time, meeting up with friends who we only see here, once a year ! Over the last 2-3 years there has been a notable drop off, of attendance, perhaps it is time to have a good look, at what is right with the event, and what is not.
All through out the country, their are different types of Retro festivals, some aircraft, steam 40s week-ends. Maybe something like Goodwood does, festival of speed, the club is halfway there? Scimfest has the speed, all it needs is character. I know they always have a theme! for Saturday night, this year, Bright Colours, but another year, choose an era, 40-50-60. plus a range of music to match, instead of the usual, which as time has gone bye, has not really kept up with the ages of the members who buy the tickets, myself being 69 years old. our group being similar ages.We all like good lively music, that we can dance too, but can we not have a balance, that we can do different types of dancing, variety is the spice of life. These Retro Festivals are usually well attended, because they cater for a wider audiance.

Scimitar Se6a, M G ZT, C1,2 BIKES, A Model Messerschmitt Bf 109 a 1cc diesel engine[ a bit battered] been in the wars!

Terry Rickard
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by Terry Rickard » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Regarding the ScimFest @ Curborough Programme 2017; some were printed incorrectly (not simply stapled wrong). The print PDF that was sent is correct, but the printers put pages 2 & 3 are at pages 7 & 8 positions and pages 7 & 8 are at pages 2 & 3 positions respectively. All the information is there, but some on the wrong pages. It should not have happened, but too late to do anything about it now.

greeny
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by greeny » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Mine arrived today.
Loving the new sticker design, just hope we get good weather now!!!!

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!

Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by Old and Slow » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:55 pm

I've been in the Club now for a few years (longest gestation in history? :D ) and wonder if someone could give me three good reasons why I should attend?
This is a serious question, although I expect there'll be a few facetious responses, knowing you lot out there.
There are so many other events taking place these days, difficult to know which to choose!
(BTW I am attending, but only on Friday)
PhilipN

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

speedy555
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by speedy555 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:16 pm

First thing I ask is what is the aim of the weekend, and is it still relevant now as it obviously was when started?? Is it for the Compies and we can go and watch? Is it mainly as a meet up for old friends to chat? Or is it a car show? And then I would ask if it was worth a total overhaul in order to bring the Marque more into the public eye, yet still maintain as many of the traditions as possible?? It really depends on what the aim is, and what the future aim is. I know a lot of people who go, my business is now Scimitar based, and I'm happy enough to continue in the current format but we are just preaching to the converted and meeting old friends, when there is so much more for people to spend their time and money on these days.

Dave Speed

1970 se5 1975 se5a
Prev. ss1 ti / 68 coupe/ 77 & 78 6a / 9x 5a's / '85 SS1 /87 SS1 1.3/ 2x '81 6b's / Cipher / 3 x 69 se5 / rialto / Rochdale Olympic

5 series Registrar

www.ssgclassics.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ssgclassics

Fibreglass liquid coating technician

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by scimmy_man » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:35 pm

we used to have a "family weekend" at drayton manor park etc, where members of the public could see the cars, but it got too expensive to hold iirc.

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

greeny
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by greeny » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Ok so why should you go?
Discounts from the club traders
Loads of scimitars to see (even the odd sabre!!)
Meet the people who run our club
Get ideas from other owners on what they have done too found on removed from plan to do to their scimitars.
Watch the compies show some really expensive cars how to go around a track
Watch or take part in the autotest
Watch Monty autotest his Jag
Music in the evening (Saturday night)
Club related items for sale.
And if there is anything else needed e.g. your car braking down it's the best place to get assistance/ideas to fix.

Drayton manner was a brilliant weekend but the management company had other ideas for the land we used to occupy.

As for making the event future proof whilst I don't mind the wild camping experience in the rough cut field it is just that.
Invite other traders (e.g. I remember years ago that there was an autoglym trader there.)
The rolling road was a good laugh but obviously (from last year) has seen its day.
I totally Appreciate the efforts put in by the organisers and helpers (I seem to spend a lot of time on gate duty but I enjoy it and get to see some cool cars coming in!
Will be sad if we can't do it in the future.

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!

12601 14846 18/09/12

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by ScimmyMike » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Old and Slow wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:55 pm
I've been in the Club now for a few years (longest gestation in history? :D ) and wonder if someone could give me three good reasons why I should attend?
This is a serious question, although I expect there'll be a few facetious responses, knowing you lot out there.
There are so many other events taking place these days, difficult to know which to choose!
(BTW I am attending, but only on Friday)
PhilipN
To be honest Philip the Friday is the day the majority arrive so is a relaxed informal day with a free quiz and stuff in the marque, the majority of organised things occur Saturday and Sunday, however Monty's quiz night is a bloomin good night of fun and beer if so inclined

www.high peak noggin

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by Old and Slow » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:29 pm

Well, being a Rochdale lad I appreciate the feedback from Newhey and Dukinfield. :D
Being fairly new to the Club I don't yet understand the issues, but I think Speedy makes a very important point - what is the primary aim of the meeting?
By defining the aims we can focus on what we need to do to support them.
Also, is one of the objectives to raise attendance numbers? Members, compies, general public? Repeat visits?
How are potential attendees made aware of the event? For example, the FBHVC has a website listing events, but Scimfest isn't on it.
If we don't resolve this, no-one will, so these are just a few of my thoughts hopefully to stimulate discussions/decisions. 8)
BTW I need to go home Friday evening before it goes dark! :(
Cheers,
Philip N

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

greeny
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by greeny » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Scimifest being predominantly rssoc only not to say that others don't sprint and attend to see last year we had a cobra (Yes a real one!!) And a very very good gt40 kit car amongst them.
Scimifest was curbs is mainly like being here with real people (well I think some are real?!?!?!)
Last edited by greeny on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

12601 14846 18/09/12

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by ScimmyMike » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Not exactly wild camping is it though Greeny, I don't recall digging my own latrine, I definitely recall quite civilised toilets and showers that were hired in and me and thee quite quickly flattened the grass beneath our own seperate tents :lol:

www.high peak noggin

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

ScimFest@Curborough 2017

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:38 pm

I'd agree with that, Mike, with clean, flushing, toilets and powerful, hot showers, it was really quite comfortable as far as camping is concerned :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Return to “Car Shows”