Scottish Mature Cheddar Cheese!

We know humour is a matter of taste.........

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Terry Rickard

steve bryant

Re: Scottish Mature Cheddar Cheese!

Post by steve bryant » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:10 am

i traveled from Plymouth to Sandbach and while there i purchased a plaque of the three stone crosses, the plaque was made in Cornwall :shock:

*JP*

Post by *JP* » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:23 am

A lot of the souvenirs at the Elvis shop at Graceland (Memphis USA) are made in China!

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Elizabeth's dad wrote:I think I'm right in saying that the term cheddar doesn't refer to a place of origin, but the process by which the cheese is made 'cheddaring' and it therefore cannot be protected to an area under EU rules.

And yes, I know that makes me sound like a smartarse. I can't help with the Scottish bit of it.
Moot point, because the process per se is named after the village where it originated. This in itself would not bar the name 'cheddar' being granted regional status.
Alan SS1 wrote:ruddy heck , some folk do have a lot of time on their hands to investigate 'protected regional status' or what ever,
30+ years in intellectual property, so not much investigation needed :)

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:08 pm

If you think about the process rather than the place, the same logic applies to Champagne and to Scotch whisky and indeed to Harris Tweed - all are made by a process originally unique to the location. I am not familiar in any detail with the other products, but common sense would dictate that since the product has a unique property it must have either unique ingredients or be made by a unique process, or both, so the place and the process become for these purposes synonyonymous.

As for the taste of Lidl's cheeses, my own preference is for the extra mature, a strong, mature *manly V6* sort of cheese... :lol:

Chris

tnarg8

Post by tnarg8 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 pm

drcdb15 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:47 pm
Cheddar is NOT a protected designation regionally, though it is a widely recognised *type* of cheese. The Wikipedia entry for "cheddar cheese" explains more (there *is* protection for "West Country Farmhouse"). I don't know where the "Scottish" bit comes from - conceivably it could be it was made in Cheshire using Scottish milk but more likely it means either a) it was actually made in Scotland but marketed and sold through the Cheshire farm brand, or b) it was made in Cheshire from milk on the farm which has a herd of cows bought from Scotland. Of course, this does raise serious issues, not least, if Scottish-originated cows eat English grass, is the resultant milk Scottish or English? In these heady days of Indyref2 these things matter !!

Of course, it is well-established that putting "Scottish" on any product for sale outside the UK imbues it with a perception of better than average quality - but in the EU that shouldn't be legal as it is misleading to the consumer...

NOW see what you've started! Countries have gone to war over more trivial things than this! :w
just seen this, as a fervent scot, love the 'confusion' bit about Scottish cows eating English grass, is that because it's always greener on the other side? :roll:

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:04 pm

tnarg8 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 pm
as a fervent scot,
and no doubt an equally fervent Dundonian, you'll know too that Dundee cake is also subject at present to an application to the EU for protected regional status. I'm surprised Keiller's marmalade isn't as well (or maybe it is, I haven't checked, just haven't seen anything). I expect wor Nicola will make sure these measures are maintained despite us leaving the EU. Mind you, the Dundee cake application has been in the works for 3 years so far, and there's less than 2 to go before we're all just 'plain old British' again, so she'd better get her skates on!

Have been to Dundee many times over the years, a fine city, always used to get my Dundee cake from Fisher & Donaldson's in Whitehall St (I expect Nicola will be changing *that* name for a start !!) :lol:

Chris

Return to “Jokes”