Public Liability (split from vented discs discussions)

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

geoffp67

Re: Public Liability (split from vented discs discussions)

Post by geoffp67 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 am

I wonder Jim, if it would be an idea to enlarge upon the site small print, saying something along the lines of
any guidance ,ideas, advice on the site is the opinion of the writer only and may be incorrect, no actions should be taken on the basis of it, all readers of the site are responsible for their own actions, etc
Im sure it can be expressed better than I just did
geoff

"the internet is the worlds largest graffitti wall and everything on it should be taken with a substantial pinch of salt"

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:48 am

scimjim wrote:The site small print (the opinions expressed on this website, blah, blah, blah) is currently in draft - I will get it posted this week.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Littlechicken
RSSOC Member

Post by Littlechicken » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:08 pm

petesilcock wrote:Belted reply - somehow missed the thread when it was active.

How do you see my liability when writing up the electric power steering conversion to the Sabre

Do I hold liability as I published how I did it?

For myself - I do would not hold Vauxhall liable for the Corsa column and power unit that I used

but

1. Could I involve them if it went wrong?
2. Could or would my insurance company if I were involved in an incident where money was at stake
3. Could another party who followed my 'how to' article hold me liable for either the design or even their poor execution of the design
Pete,

Aslong as the post you are making is how you (rather than How to) fitted electric power steering to your car then you have nothing to worry about, this way you are not giving advise but merely sharing the experience with other forum/club members.
If someone decides to follow what you have posted and do the same, then that is there choice,remember what seem obvious to you may not be to some one with less ability .
Be careful when answering questions, you do not want to be seen as advising,
If an incident occured that could be attributed to the failure of a specific component ie fault in manufacture,then you could involve Vauxhall, but If the incident was as a result of how you had brought the specific parts together I am sure Vauxhall would repudiate liability.
We regards to modifications you will need to notify your Motor insurers as it is a material fact.
Unless you intend obtaining PL cover I would not reccomend selling the parts as an upgrade kit, this is for your own protection.
Mark

SS1 1600, 1800TI, BN1, Robin MK3 BRG,Robin Mk3 Van, Rialto SE, 2x Bond Bug's MG6 Magnette TSE and Peugeot 308
Chairman of Birmingham ROC

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Many thanks for clearing up what i suspected, Mark (hence why i haven't posted yet this morning).

Hope that answers your question, Pete?

I don't want to cut short a very important debate (I think its great that such things can be discussed calmly and sensibly - please..), I'm now going to lock this topic before it (may) wander off to other things.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”