Bad drivers and snow

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

jondwyer

Bad drivers and snow

Post by jondwyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:00 pm

I really think that there should have been some public information on how to successfully drive in snow, on the TV, over the last three weeks.
It seems to me that so many of the problems are caused by people who just don't know what to do, using low gears, going far too slowly and braking too hard.
On two days this week, my half hour drive to work has taken over two hours. I've seen a number of accidents, ranging from cars in ditches to broken tail-lights.
A few years ago, I learned to drive landrovers, 2WD and 4WD, on an off-road training course. Driving my Scimitar in the snow has been relatively easy after that, but I'm still worried I'm going to get hit by somebody else.
What a waste if any classic car gets written off in these conditions!

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Post by JoeySully » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:22 pm

I know what you mean. Most of the information that i have heard on the radio and online were taken from American websites.
the main ones i heard over and over again were !

Make sure your phone battery is fully charged . What! i do this in the summer why would I not do it at winter!!

Bring a blanket in case you have to stay in the car. Again What! where are we living !! its not like most of us drive miles out into the country where we couldn't get out and walk to a nearby house.

Fill up your tank. Great advice - especially for the Rear wheel drivers.

Drive in a High gear. Without an explanation of this most non motoring people seem to think this means 1st and 2nd.

Keep your distance. keep 3 times the normal distance - so is that 6 feet away or 6 miles away. most people are tailgaters anyway so what is 3 time nothing !! One radio presenter actually said " I dont believe your braking distance is tripled !!" driving in an estate on sunday it took me 20 feet to stop from 20MPH. In the dry I think I could do it in 5ft.

Oh I could go on and on and on!

How bout some proper advice like

Get up early in the morning and defrost all the windows and mirrors on your car.
That snow on your roof is an "unsecured load" and need to be removed also!
Get new tires if they are crap!
TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS
Don't brake
Slow down - but if there is a line of cars behind you and nothing in front then you are probably going too slow.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:35 pm

JoeySully wrote:Keep your distance. keep 3 times the normal distance - so is that 6 feet away or 6 miles away. most people are tailgaters anyway so what is 3 time nothing !! One radio presenter actually said " I dont believe your braking distance is tripled !!" driving in an estate on sunday it took me 20 feet to stop from 20MPH. In the dry I think I could do it in 5ft.
The main roads were clear last Sunday when I drove to Suffolk and back, but I had to brake fairly hard when I came over the blind brow of a hill on the A303 to find a slow moving tractor (with a snowplough on the front) clearing drifting snow in an exposed area. If the car tailgating me had not locked up and slid into the other lane, I was considering powering past the tractor fairly close to another oncoming tractor (also with plough)!

why isn't it taught properly as part of the driving lessons/test along with motorway driving and inclement weather?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:05 pm

its only done for "pass plus" i didnt get any adverse weather driving until i did that....even then it was only 6 hours....

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

Burtle

Post by Burtle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:34 pm

The trouble is modern cars are far to easy to drive, give a false sense of safety, and are expendable.

If cars were hard work to drive, uncomfortable, made it more apparent that you need to concentrate, gave a real feeling of speed, and had a big metal spike in the centre of the steering wheel aimed at your head. I'm sure everyone would drive with far more care and attention. (minus the spike I think I just described my Landy) :lol:

In the Landy tailgater's don't bother me, they'll come of far worse :twisted:

We don't have this weather often so I can understand some peoples lack of experience driving in it, but a little common sense and thought wouldn't go a miss.

Creating more laws and enforcing more H&S only makes people dimmer as they then can't see the risks.

Hmm, that almost turned into a rant, roll on the summer and holiday traffic. :twisted:

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:44 pm

then in summer it's boy racers and not snow that can cause hassle.

Although steaming a few back into place and sensibility once or twice may not be a bad thing :D

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

tintop
RSSOC Member

snow.

Post by tintop » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:32 pm

Unfortunately common sense these days isnt very common, does it really matter what road conditions are like you drive accordingly.I live up on the peninnes, some of the roads are closed off, as in other parts.What do some motorist do, push the sign over, carry on, get stuck, I wonder why!
Also these walkers on some of the high slopes who take a chance , then want the mountain rescue to get them down.If they had to pay for the helicopters etc, they may think again next time. :?

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”