Home insurance

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

scimitargtc
RSSOC Member

Home insurance

Post by scimitargtc » Fri May 08, 2020 11:00 pm

Mods, move this to most appropriate arena... has anyone experience please of making a contents claim and had garage contents disallowed? Currently in midst of a huge post flood claim which thank goodness I do have cover but insurers currently, and I am appealing, disallowing certain items under their terms which exclude car parts and accessories which they include: a scissor vehicle lift £1200, car polishes. Windscreen washer fluid etc £300, Obd code diagnostics £1100. If they are right and I’d known I’d have not allowed the stripping out company to literally pour stuff, including previously unopened containers of windscreen washer fluid (biodegradeable) down the drain...just why would I?
Also trolley jacks, winches, batteries (used for water features in the garden) (£1400), I’ve appealed sending them a direct quote definition of car accessory, total dispute is some £4.5k so not chicken feed.

1979 se6a auto pas 3.0v6 (unnamed) sold after 22 years 2019.
1998 Range Rover 4.6 v8 auto (unnamed)
2016 Nissan QashQai 1.6 Tekna CVT dci ("Quentin")
2019 Skoda Cititgo MPI SEL Greentech ("Clyde")
Space for 5 more! Money for none!!

drcdb15

Home insurance

Post by drcdb15 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Can you post the relevant definition from the insurance contract of what is defined as "car parts and accessories" ? Also does the policy schedule specify that these defined items are included in the cover? Usually an insurer has two get out clauses - first, the claimed items don't fall within the definition of a covered item, and second that the cover doesn't extend to the claimed items for the claimed risk.

A scissor lift is clearly not a spare part for a car, and arguably is not an accessory for a car - which would be something you fit to or carry within a car. More likely they'd argue it came under "garage equipment" which is neither specific for any particular vehicle nor is typically carried within a vehicle. Similarly your OBD device.

I'd have thought you could argue the case better with washer fluid, since this clearly IS a car accessory, and arguably even an MoT requirement. But as with all insurance, the devil's in the detail, so we need to see that detail.

You might help your case if you have any old invoices or advertisements for the items you are claiming, to show that, for example, the scissor lift was supplied by Halfords - typically a supplier of car accessories - as opposed to say, Machine Mart - typically a supplier of industrial and commercial equipment.
Last edited by drcdb15 on Fri May 15, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

scimitargtc
RSSOC Member

Home insurance

Post by scimitargtc » Fri May 15, 2020 6:02 pm

Better news, scissor lift and car cleaning they’ve agreed to cover, the diagnostics Im awaiting a response,,, seems common sense and literal interpretation of word definition is playing right

1979 se6a auto pas 3.0v6 (unnamed) sold after 22 years 2019.
1998 Range Rover 4.6 v8 auto (unnamed)
2016 Nissan QashQai 1.6 Tekna CVT dci ("Quentin")
2019 Skoda Cititgo MPI SEL Greentech ("Clyde")
Space for 5 more! Money for none!!

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”