fitness

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

fitness

Post by peter freeman » Thu May 07, 2020 4:19 pm

In days of yor I used to do 50 press ups ( proper ones ) 50 sit ups and 50 squat jumps and could climb a rope hand over hand. So I thought I would see how I am today ( its boring is it not ) - I managed 7 press ups - not tried anything else but they were still proper ones. If I can manage to get up to 10 I will be more than happy.

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

fitness

Post by TrevorG » Thu May 07, 2020 4:48 pm

Peter, it's all about starting small and working forward. I won't bore everyone again with how and why I broke my back and had a stroke two years ago, but suffice to say that prior to that, I was a healthy very active 66 year old with a prior history of rugby, refereeing and oval track racing. Immediately on leaving hospital and for the next five months, I couldn't use my left arm and found walking more than 100m a struggle. I started rehab in outpatients, moved on to the local leisure centre and am now set up with a makeshift gym at home. Now, at 68, every morning after sorting the animals, I press weights, do 30 situps, 30 press ups, 100 sit stands and more....then cycle train on a steep hill setting for 5 miles. It took a long while getting back to it in small steps...five pressups to begin for example, but it makes the day seem more alive. I then ruin it all with a hearty elevenses! Pity the eyesight isn't what it used to be which prevents bike racing any more! Just lucky to have the scimitar restoration to see me through!

So, keep at it, a little often and make it a routine and you will be surprised what the body can do. And you begin to enjoy it....honest.

Ps....came in handy when I had to dead lift a soaking wet expectant ewe onto my shoulder to get her in to the lambing shed earlier this year! Oh, and sorting out scimitar dashboard electrics.

Cartrain
RSSOC Member

fitness

Post by Cartrain » Thu May 07, 2020 4:48 pm

Well I can certainly recommend pushing a broken down Scimitar as a good workout on a Sunday morning.
Particularly good for the Triceps, Biceps, Quadriceps and deltoids :D

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

fitness

Post by Old and Slow » Thu May 07, 2020 5:31 pm

Up to the start of 2020 I did 10 press-up, sit-ups, stretches plus some Pilates, first thing, even before visiting the bathroom. Must start doing them again.
I've not had any guidance (not since the 70's circuit training apart from Tai Chi), so my question is...is there a "best" time of the day to exercise?

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

Cartrain
RSSOC Member

fitness

Post by Cartrain » Thu May 07, 2020 5:48 pm

It’s all to do with body clocks...like when you do a long haul flight.
Some prefer a musical accompaniment.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

fitness

Post by peter freeman » Thu May 07, 2020 6:40 pm

At 73 I can hardly hear the music let alone exercise to it - and I like heavy metal which does not lend itself to push ups - head banging yes

Cartrain
RSSOC Member

fitness

Post by Cartrain » Thu May 07, 2020 7:27 pm

How old is mick jagger ? come on gentlemen no excuses.

Light exercises are good in the morning .Then if it is more rigorous like the Sports fraternity, then afternoon-ish.

rjudcsx

fitness

Post by rjudcsx » Thu May 07, 2020 7:46 pm

Its all in the mind , really . The link between an active and positive mind and the body has been recognised by some for hundreds of years ,particularly in the far east . Of late it has been repackaged into forms such as Wellbeing ect however the basic principals apply . One can generate a positive cycle by exercise that then releases endorphins within the brain that give you a natural " up " which encourages you to do more exercise /activity .I have Bi Polar and can confirm that when up I can run a marathon but when down I am as weak as a kitten .I would agree that a little bit of exercise to begin with gives you a win scenario , most important in our present time , remember what Spencer Davis and Steve Winwood said . Regards Richard .

Cartrain
RSSOC Member

fitness

Post by Cartrain » Thu May 07, 2020 8:00 pm

Just been viewing the latest upload from Harry’s garage and he mentions and shows his new electric bike which I think will be very popular.

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”