what have you found in the skip?

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:20 pm

Hi all,

just thought i would share my latest skip diving find and wondered what others may have found over the years?

I was chucking some junk in the metal skip at work and spotted some weights (of the weight lifting variety). dug those out. then a lifting bar. got that. then a bench! very rusty but pretty much complete (lost my watch due to a broken strap at this point and watched it bounce to the bottom of the skip).. dug that out then spent 20 minutes retrieving the watch.

spent a few hours over the weekend stripping down and wire wheeling the bench. Coated it in POR15 chassis paint. new stainless bolts. sorted! its not for me mind but the lad. apparently weight lifting gear at the minute is rare as....

so we now have our own "muscle beach" on the patio.

come on, what have you lot found that someone else thought as junk?

take care all, Ian.
weights bench.jpg
weights bench.jpg (91.63 KiB) Viewed 380 times

If it is made of nuts and bolts I WILL take it apart..... going back together is a whole different ball game

FossilFish
RSSOC Member

Post by FossilFish » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:56 pm

Your so lucky to have that BBQ and oven in your back yard.

I have a balcony and that's it.

Skip finds, as a lad I dug out a few magazines which were eye opening, these were then moved to an abandoned Bedford Van :mrgreen:

Thank fossils for fuel!

scimitargtc
RSSOC Member

Post by scimitargtc » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:35 pm

Careful with skip diving, if it’s without permission anything taken can be classed as theft . Currently flooded out of our home since end of feb we were disgusted when a father and very young son came cycling by, had a look in 1 of the skips that about £12k of my tools have been ditched by my insurers, wandered away then came back and started rooting around despite the fact we were sitting in a static caravan (our temporary home) on the drive10 feet away. My wife challenged him telling him they had been under 8feet of water and goodness knows what, (there is a sewage pumping station 35 feet away which has not worked since 27/2) didn’t faze him at all. Sunday, local waste collectors from a nearby camp came around, asked politely if they could dumpster dive and We said yes of course. Polite and empathetic to our predicament, (they are regulars know that anything left on the grass verge they can have, but this was 2 full skips of our possessions..) they made 8 trips with Their van(which when I checked on line was taxed, insured and mot’d) and we were happy that at least some stuff will be recycled and reused.. just my thoughts currently going thru a Sh*** time

1979 se6a auto pas 3.0v6 (unnamed) sold after 22 years 2019.
1998 Range Rover 4.6 v8 auto (unnamed)
2016 Nissan QashQai 1.6 Tekna CVT dci ("Quentin")
2019 Skoda Cititgo MPI SEL Greentech ("Clyde")
Space for 5 more! Money for none!!

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Post by TrevorG » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:36 pm

I'm with you re our local romany community.
Some of you may know that I used to breed shire horses and fell ponies and train horses in farm and timber working. The only customers who were always polite, trustworthy and respected their animals were the romany community. I must have sold them thirty horses over the years and worked their horses, they and their children were always so polite. When we sold our last place, they even helped clear things and move stuff.
Don't judge all by the worse!

Diyhell
RSSOC Member

Post by Diyhell » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:58 pm

My dad worked at British Aerospace Weybridge and was always a man for some skip salvaging. Not exactly skips, but as close as, were the acres of abandoned stuff when Weybridge shut. I remember us departing the site with a trailer groaning in stuff, including a couple of sheets off titanium. Somewhere out there is a Berkeley T60 with its inner monocoque made of aluminium sheet from airplane stock gathered during that recovery. Was a bugger to get the aerospace green primer paint off the sheets I can tell you. Must revisit the Weybridge/Brooklands site sometime. Happy memories of wandering around the race sheds when they were abandoned stores for surplus aircraft parts.

SE6a needing lots of work...

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Post by TrevorG » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:19 am

Diyhell, that just reminded me of the time way back when the old Smith's instrument factory was being knocked down to make way for the NCR flyover, a mate gave me the wink and we went down there early on the Sunday.....the place was crawling with trophy hunters so we went back to our car in the old car park.....there was an old skip there, so we looked in it......it was full of boxes instruments. I'm not saying we took any, but a few months later, my sebring had a new dash resplendent with every dial imaginable. Trying to think......it must have been just before I went overseas, so 1970ish?

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”