Legal beavers out there ?

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:55 pm

I HAVE to travel about 6 miles to get to the GF house as she is paralysed down one side after Two strokes and a seizure, I`m her legal Personal Assistant, we never lived together, and I own my own house.
IF I moved in with her we both would lose our poll tax reduction AND she would be stripped of a lot of her legally entitled to benefits.
I use the shortest route to her house which is B roads through the country side, one of these roads has NO FOOTPATH and I`m constantly being given daggers or waved arms when I come across a group of walkers who insist on splitting into Two groups and standing on both sides of the road.
There is an A road that runs parallel to this road and it has footpaths on both sides, why don`t the idiots use this road??.
Probably because the police use this road to get to the cafe and chip shop. :roll:

I have used this road all my life and it`s only since the lockdown that it has become popular with groups of walkers.
Not even using the 6ft rule.
Well it will be them who get ill before me. :!:

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry: SE5a`s, GTC, SE6b`s, Triumph Daytona, Honda CB750 K7. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup RELIANT SCIMITAR V8 CONVERSION & billy no mates, Single Rat

Terry H

Post by Terry H » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:01 pm

Reminds me of how we got speed bumps.
Regards Terry H

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:11 pm

AJL Electronics wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:38 pm
I think that the objection to driving is more to do with the risk of accidents which would divert resources. All the nutters are still about and emboldened by the lack of traffic, are behaving even worse. We have already had two big accidents that I am aware of locally, one this morning.
Yes, Andy, this is the nub of the matter.

Most people seem to assume the purpose of the restrictions is to stop us catching the virus, but it isn't. The purpose is to slow the RATE at which we DO catch the virus so that the NHS doesn't get overwhelmed with everyone needing a ventilator at the same time. It is of course in all our interests that we DO catch the virus at some point, so that we develop our own immunity to it. But we want to do that at some future date when there is a vaccine and palliative medicines and back-up facilities to support us if things go wrong and we don't develop our own antibodies fast enough. We won't be in this position until around February-
March time next year.

And to address Peter's point, the legislation is not concenerd with the mode of transport used for your journey, but with the PURPOSE of it. Sadly, "keeping my classic car running and not seizing up" is not an allowed purpose. Using my classic car to take my spouse nurse to work, of course, IS allowed.

As for nutters still being out there, have you seen the story in today's news about the chap driving 240 miles from Nottingham to London to get a loaf of bread because it's £1 cheaper in London than in Nottingham... and that was the PURPOSE of his journey. He was caught doing 110mph on the motorway in Leicestershire. Seems he also needs a lesson in basic household economics :lol:

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:33 pm

I have to admit the Nutters round here are having a field day, even racing each other through built up areas to get to the racetrack country roads.
Just look for " fu@kwits" on youtube and it is filmed all within a few miles of my house. :w

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry: SE5a`s, GTC, SE6b`s, Triumph Daytona, Honda CB750 K7. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup RELIANT SCIMITAR V8 CONVERSION & billy no mates, Single Rat

Rattling
RSSOC Member

Post by Rattling » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:37 pm

Terry H wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:01 pm
Reminds me of how we got speed bumps.
Regards Terry H
I thought speed bumps and the other modern art painted on all our roads was courtesy of the EU grants to county councils some years back , I particularly like the roundabout lanes lines :D three into two etc etc

Colin

1800 Ti

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:38 pm

And unfortunately driving to Halfords for some grease doesn't constitute essential purchases in some eyes!!!
Keep cool, have fun, stay safe.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

mikeyb1
RSSOC Member

Post by mikeyb1 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:03 pm

Try Moss for your grease (and many other consummables). They are still doing mail order, but of course you have to pay p&p. Depends how desparate you are.

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:22 pm

Toolstation the same, but free delivery on orders over £10, delivery 2-3 working days to most areas. I expect Screwfix will be similar.

Chris

mikeyb1
RSSOC Member

Post by mikeyb1 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:47 pm

Unless they've changed recently, Screwfix have a £40 threshold for free delivery.

rjudcsx

Post by rjudcsx » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:55 pm

This thread gave me a jolt as I took the 5a down the road to check the gears today ; nearly typed "only for 5 min " ,but I took it of my property never the less . I see the above quoted Government statement , however at the time , I did not consider my actions . I agree that a core purpose for this " directive " is probabley to reduce the unnesasary load on the countries service staff ,Police ,Ambulance ,Fire service ect ect . I need to apply the what if rule , what if I broke down ,what if I had an accident ect . Twice this weekend I was pulled over by the Police on my way into "work" ,they were very polite and when I explained my reason for travel and they saw my ID and Authorization letter wished me well and one said " keep up the good work " ,I reciprocated . Interpritation of the law may be acceptibale in certain situations , tax ,land boundries , divorce ect but in the present situation it causes a fogging to an already complex issue .Some times we have to be told rather than given guide lines no matter how much we deplore it . Richard

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:26 pm

On the local news tonight they are worried that the local A&Es are so quiet.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:50 pm

It has shown that many A&E visits could be avoided with a little thought.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:04 am

peter freeman wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:26 pm
On the local news tonight they are worried that the local A&Es are so quiet.
Don't worry, Peter, they'll be filling up soon enough. It seems that Middlesborough is one of the areas that is least compliant with the stay-at-home rules, so given the gestation period of around 10 days, and they were as cavalier last weekend too, you should see "business" picking up by around the end of this week. (lived in Durham for a good many years, I *do* know M'boro isn't Tyneside :wink: )

Chris

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:08 pm

scimjim wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:50 pm
It has shown that many A&E visits could be avoided with a little thought.
although generally speaking by the time 'the drinks in , the wits out' especially on Friday & Saturday around 2300 onwards . . . . :shock:

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 ( .. . EVU & . . . . CDC)
Regal 330 (VAV ---) now passed to another 'keen owner'

Terry H

Post by Terry H » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:29 pm

If anyone want's to use their cars and be within the rules of the day, why not volunteer to do medication runs for those who are unable to get the medication that they require from local pharmacists.
Regards Terry H

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”