Ground works

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Ground works

Post by Coupe Racing » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:21 am

Hi

is anyone here familiar with ground works please?

I have a question ref how deep the Aggregate needs to be given use and weight when preparing for a new surface.

I have a calculator that offers advice , but it fails to say if the ground is measured wet or dry

Many thanks

Steve
Attachments
BP85_Design__Install_Guidance_Gravel.pdf
(900.3 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

scimmy ben

Ground works

Post by scimmy ben » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:02 am

I've always used this site for practical help on working out depth of paths etc

https://www.pavingexpert.com/subgrade

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Ground works

Post by TrevorG » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:43 am

Hi, groundwork refers to the preparation of what is there.....this can be removed if not stable and a suitable infill introduced (no point in removing solid rock!). It all depends on what is likely to be ontop! You don't specify, so difficult to advise. Is there heavy vehicle movement? A vehicle lift? Water influx? Etc etc. As a rule with any groundwork, dig out to solid load bearing sub strata and begin from there, unless of course you are piling or rafting where different ruling applies.

When I was involved in producing the safety manual on lifting, I asked the crane companies for spectacular photos of failures. Nearly all the companies sent photos of cranes (static and mobile) falling due to being on a concrete slab or similar 'guaranteed' good foundation that tilted under them due to substandard groundworks!

Even I have found that when building my own horse stables, I had to allow for rat infestation in the groundworks as the buggers bury into it and make it unstable (no pun intended).

Driveways are awkward as you cannot (I suppose) legislate on delivery drivers!

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Ground works

Post by Coupe Racing » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:50 am

Hi
The ground is dense clay so with the current gravel on top , the gravel soon disappears.
Usage is driveway and cars being parked .
As such its difficult to use the attached document as the properties of the clay is different between wet and dry.
Per se the car does not sink and only mildly ruts on areas with no gravel if driven or walked on.

I propose to install some drainage under the parking area and apply gravel etc and plastic pavers to stop me walking in surface mud that comes to the surface

Drop me a line if a detailed explanation is required

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

scimmy ben

Ground works

Post by scimmy ben » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:06 am

Heavy Clay has a CBR ~1 if water table is <600m depth ~2 if water table > 600mm depth - dig a hole to find it https://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08

According to the chart for CBR of 1 to 2 you need 260mm of DOT Type 1 or 3 on top of a geotextile as sub base. If you have drainage issues use Type 3 and a linear drainage system.

If going with this system, top the sub base with another geotextile, 50 mm of angular gravel, then the paving grids then fill with another 50mm of gravel

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”