My dad's SE6b for sale

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:29 pm

Get a room :lol:

I break stuff...... :w

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by Oaksey » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:40 pm

If I could afford one I would :mrgreen:

Josh Oakes
2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 SSSC Champion
1974 Yellow Se5a Overdrive
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
1966 Blue Coupe Straight Six
2005 Honda S2000
Previous- Coupe S6,
SS1 Ti, E90 SS1 Ti, SE6a x3, SE5 Auto, SS1 CVH, Mk2 Sabre, Rebel Estate

Supersub
RSSOC Member

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by Supersub » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:40 am

As a general comment re prices it's all relative. Of course market prices have an effect on them but in the end it's what you will accept when selling and what you will pay when buying.

I hope those involved don't mind me relating this but when I sold the yellow SE4b (BARF) to Steve Cork who passed it on to Dave Speed I think I got about £2400. Steve could confirm that. Then having undergone the touch of his "magic fingers" (meaning a lot of hard work and effort) Dave moved it on and if I recall correctly for somewhere around £5K. Chris now has it up for sale for £8K. Taking into account the improvements made to it over the years and the rise in prices of these cars it would appear to be about right. However to be honest I wouldn’t know. The only time I look more closely at prices is when I am looking to buy but then only when it comes to making a final decision. What makes me buy is do I really want it and am I willing to pay it.

With BARF I just about covered my costs which was a first for me. If you take into account the time and money I spent on every car I have owned over the years I made a loss on all of them. And in some cases a big big loss. But that was not the point. I don’t buy cars to make a profit. If I wanted to do that I would be in the car sales business. I buy them to use them and then when the time comes I sell them on to someone else who can enjoy them. I may look back in later years and say I should never have sold it but not because it is now worth a fortune or I was robbed but because it was a good car.

Apologies for going on a bit but just thought I would add my tuppence worth. Or in this case a pounds worth. Hope I haven't opened up a can of worms.

Mike Storey
1996 1.4 K Series Sabre
1996 Nissan QX 3.0ltr SEL
1995 Quantum 1.9ltr 2+2
2004 Mondeo MKIII 130TDCi Estate
Previous: -1990 SST 1800Ti, 1993 Sabre 1400, 1992 Sabre 1400 (based on 1991 SST), 1972 se5a gte, 1968 SE4b Coupe

drcdb15

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by drcdb15 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:36 pm

I hope that by now Scimmy, you are feeling a little better about the prices you've seen advertised for your dad's car - I sensed you felt a bit cheated in your original post. I remember when my own father died, I had the job of disposing of his car, one which I happened to know quite a bit about because I'd sourced it for him and worked on it a bit about 3 years before he died. So when the best I could get for it was only £300 I too felt I was being shafted.

But 'value' and 'worth' come in many forms, and in the grand scale of things the actual pounds and pence are, with hindsight, often the least of our issues. At the time £300 seemed like precious little return for the car, but when I took into account the real practical issues involved in finding a better deal, or keeping it, insurance, not least where do I put it and who will drive it, or do I keep it until I find a buyer at a better price and who knows how long *that* might take, all at a time when being executor of my father's estate (no millions, just lots of strange debts and angry banks...) thrust far more pressing matters onto me... well, the truth is I was just glad to get shot of it. Sure, I know it would be on the forecourt in 2 days priced at ten times what I'd been paid, but what price my sanity? And my time? Like I said, 'value' comes in many forms. And not just to the seller but to the buyer too.

So I genuinely hope you don't feel so bad now, and as I argued above, objectively I think the price you got was about OK given all the other factors at the time. And don't forget 'time' - it's so easy, but time changes everything, so much I never cease to wonder at how people so readily overlook it. You might find it of interest to read this thread:

https://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/vie ... 17&t=39701

which covers a lot of these issues in the context of valuing "a project".

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by reliant-reviver » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:12 am

Funnily enough I was just looking at this on C&C and thinking of all the boxes it ticks and feeling that the asking price was about right. The blistering is of little concern to myself, I don't own, nor strive to own cosmetically perfect cars. The reality is most GTE's need paint work, so what's chiselling off a bit more scab if the day came when one actually decided to respray it.

The chassis, the engine and gearbox combination, the originality. All key things in my eyes.

I'm looking to sell my wife's car soon, at best it's now worth half what we paid for it. Can I pull a sad face over that? :(

We should all be delighted that Scimitar values are on the up, it is only a good thing.

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

scimmy

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by scimmy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:20 am

Thanks for the comments, I do know what you mean. Despite feeling a little cheated, I do know what you meant about getting shut. As I had no use for the car it had to go, but of course if I had tried to sell it for alot more I could've been waiting for a buyer forever and the car would be sitting unused deteriorating under a very dilapidated and leaky car port.

What gets me is why has the owner decided to sell only 2 years after buying. To me it's like he's not interested in the car or a genuine enthusiast. I know there maybe various reasons involved, but does seem odd. I know my dad only owned it for a year before passing away, but if he were still here he would've kept hold of it for as long as possible, primarily because he liked the cars and was a club member.

I can imagine the E-Type kit car I sold about a month ago for 5 and half grand (yes 5 grand for an E Type convertible can you believe that?) will no doubt come on the classifieds scene in the not too distance future for about £15,000 having had a mediocre of work and money spent on it. I nearly let it go for almost nothing when everyone kept telling me I'd only get a grand for it because I thought the engine was seized, but it turned out after the chap who bought got it back to his place realised the engine turned over. Thankgod I didn't listen to them. And the Tiger Cat kit car I sold last year for just over 3 grand will no doubt pop up on eBay for twice that, despite my dad saying to me he wouldn't sell it for less than 5 grand. It had to go though. Speaking of the Tiger, but the MOT ran out last week but the owner hasn't renewed it. God only know why, but I suspect, like most kit cars, it has been used as some resto job or spares and repairs.

MickP

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by MickP » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:46 pm

I sold my SE6a in March for less than it was probably worth and a lot less than the cost (or even the value) of the collective parts. Cost, value and worth are often very different things that can easily be confused at times. I know exactly what money is but a surprising number of people don't seem to. Peter, is, as far as I am concerned, the right person for the car. He has the resources to finish what I started and is going to use it as his every day car, as I did. Yes, he will probably sell it for more in the future but that is a chance one takes - it could go the other way. But at least it is going to get used.

If Scimitars do shoot up in value, then one of my main concerns is that they will start to attract, what I consider to be, the wrong type of people. Total speculators and those that would have had no interest in them if they were not relatively valuable. You know the type that sit in the chair at car shows reading a paper next to their car, staring at anyone who comes near, refusing to civilly answer any questions people have and generally looking like they are feeling very superior to all the "plebs" wandering around. I watched as it happened with many old cars including Jaguars, MGBs and TR6s and I utterly despise those type of people. My rough looking Scimitar - used as everyday transport year round in all weathers - was a genuine two fingered salute to them.

If Peter does start selling off his cars in the future - and "my" Scimitar among them - I might even be able to buy it back :) . I have, sort of, invested the money I got for it and will see what becomes the more valuable.

EDIT: I also meant to say that I sold my Saab 9-3 last year for £150 to the local scrap yard. It was probably "worth" something between £500 to £1000 but I needed rid of it. The guy probably sold it on for hundreds more, so I know where the original poster is coming from. It has done about 14,000 miles since its last MOT - so it is certainly getting used.

SOLD: 1978 SE6a Auto.
1997 Ducati 900SS - Last carb. model.
1960 BSA Bantam D7 - more "fun" than the Ducati.
1998 Honda CG125 - great in slow traffic.
1981 Suzuki SB200 2-stroke twin - undergoing rebuild.
Gallery Project
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.” - Aldous Huxley.

Corky
RSSOC Member

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by Corky » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Two years of ownership before selling it on sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I’ve had cars for much shorter periods and have nearly always managed to sell them on for more than I paid. They always leave me in a much better state than they arrive though.
The increased price is usually because either I have added value and/or the market has risen.
Some of my Scimitars have since been sold on for more than I sold them for. I’m not bitter or pi??3d off, that’s the way the cookie crumbles. Don’t let it worry you.

As it’s been me mentioned earlier in the thread. The Yellow Coupe I bought from Mike, I owned that for about a week. I sold it on to Speedy at cost as he showed an interest as soon as I’d said I’d bought it. The reason for selling it quickly? Nick Hall advertised his white Coupe the day after I’d agreed to buy Mike’s. Being the nice guy I am, I bought both so as to not let anybody down. I was happy to pass the yellow one onto Speedy as I hadn’t really thought about what I was going to do with two. I kept Mike in the loop and let him know what I was doing and why.
The point of relaying this story is that you never know the underlying reasons for someone moving a car on unless you are indeed in the loop, and some people can get the wrong end of the stick and vilify you for no reason!

On the flip side of this, one thing that does get on my wick is when I advertise a car and people try and knock me down on price by declaring they know what I paid for it. They are NEVER successful purchasers, as clearly do not understand the market conditions or the value I have added.

:wink: :mrgreen:

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by AJL Electronics » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:18 pm

Corky wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:28 pm

On the flip side of this, one thing that does get on my wick is when I advertise a car and people try and knock me down on price by declaring they know what I paid for it. They are NEVER successful purchasers, as clearly do not understand the market conditions or the value I have added.
Or that it is anyone else's damn business!

I know that some (or at least one) member thinks that I am a "rip off merchant" because I make a profit on my sales, but that is what businesses do. Profit needs to be maximised and if I buy well, that's good for my margin. If I pay too much then I still can't resell for more than it is worth. It's the difference between employees and businessmen really, most employees not needing to give any thought to the costs of running a business.

Private sales may not need to pay overheads, but it is still daft to sell for less than it is actually worth, unless being deliberately charitable for some reason.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Brucky
RSSOC Member

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by Brucky » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:07 pm

I purchased my Coupe from the son of the deceased estate. It was a project that a farther and son were in the process of finishing to a high standard, IMHO it was 85% complete. In the past two years Ive replaced the overdrive, adjustable shocks/coils, numerous other things and it’s going in for a respray to Dave Speed shortly. The seller recently contacted me asking to purchase his dad’s car back (actually his grandmother’s car from new). I could hear the regret/remorse in his voice for Selling the car on to me. I offered him first refusal when I am ready to sell. I did explain that when the time comes to sell the car it will be at a different level, and that the market had risen. The reason I ramble on,,,,, when a father/son car is sold on, it can be very difficult for the seller. Regardless of the facts these cars are an emotional purchase which is made even stronger when your dad was a big part of it.

accyimp

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by accyimp » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:21 pm

That's the car that I was interested in - but sold on the day that I rang the owner. Some very interesting comments on the values, especially when you consider the market for other classics. :)

scimmy

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by scimmy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:36 pm

I've heard from one or two Scimitar owners that Scimitar's won't rise in value much, and the tone in their voices tells me they aren't messing about. If they do rise significantly all they are going to do is attract those that don't use them regularly, and instead they end up as garage queens throughput most of the year like with most classics, only venturing out when it's time for a show, a Hillclimb, meet or other motoring event.

Plenty of classics around where I live and they are never or seldom seen driving about. On my dog walk almost daily I walk past a house near to me that resides an immaculate looking black vintage MG. The last time (the only time I think) I saw the thing outside of its garage was when we had that warm spell at the end of February this year. We've a heatwave this week and I bet the car will never be brought out. Why owners don't use them I don't know. Most expensive classics are just seen as an investment.

TrevorG

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by TrevorG » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:14 pm

Well spoken Scimmy, I feel the same 're classic vehicles. However, it's not to object to what others have as their ideals. I, for one, do not understand modern concours where money spent is everything, yet originality has been forgotten. Get someone to throw away all the original (marked with history) pieces and put on remanufactured shiny new bits for huge cost and win at concours ain't my game. I once awarded best in show to a young lad with a 'human pimp' that he had taken apart, repaired and put back together again and it ran as sweet as a nut. He was knowledgeable beyond his years due to this work.....didn't adhere me to the guys with their trailered show pieces but that's me, I can admire, understand, but not join their club!

MickP

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by MickP » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:53 pm

scimmy wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:36 pm
I've heard from one or two Scimitar owners that Scimitar's won't rise in value much, and the tone in their voices tells me they aren't messing about. If they do rise significantly all they are going to do is attract those that don't use them regularly, and instead they end up as garage queens throughput most of the year like with most classics, only venturing out when it's time for a show, a Hillclimb, meet or other motoring event.
Very well said sir.

My parents were very poor, but I grew up among some serious money - and I mean SERIOUS money. Those with money drove things like Morris Minors, Minis, and, yes you guessed it, Scimitars - they also went about with string for laces in their boots, and no, I am not joking. Those people handed down their cars from generation to generation with no thought of what they were worth in monetary terms.

I genuinely hope Scimitars will escape the classic speculators and their like.

SOLD: 1978 SE6a Auto.
1997 Ducati 900SS - Last carb. model.
1960 BSA Bantam D7 - more "fun" than the Ducati.
1998 Honda CG125 - great in slow traffic.
1981 Suzuki SB200 2-stroke twin - undergoing rebuild.
Gallery Project
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.” - Aldous Huxley.

Corky
RSSOC Member

My dad's SE6b for sale

Post by Corky » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Interest rates are the problem. You’re better off investing in Art, Wine, Property and Classic Cars than putting your money into a savings account. Until rates increase people will invest elsewhere. But for every saver that gains with higher rates, there is a borrower who loses out. Unfortunately there are always winners and losers when it comes to economics.

You could compare the wine investment market to that of Classic Cars. There are some fabulous wines just begging to be drunk, that will forever remain in a cellar.

Not sure what wine I’d compare a Scimitar to though. Whatever it is, it’ll be from a small vineyard that sits under the radar producing great wines for those in the know, that don’t go in for snobbery :lol:

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”