What breakdown cover ?

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Alan SS1

What breakdown cover ?

Post by Alan SS1 » Thu May 02, 2019 12:30 pm

i sit worth merging the two threads?

just got the 'loyal member' letter from AA up £60!!!

dunno if SWAMBO will let me try AutoAid, I'll report back after I've given them a call and asked about their 'loyalty' scheme :-)

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 ( .. . EVU & . . . . CDC)
Regal 330 (VAV ---) now passed to another 'keen owner'

turboscim
RSSOC Member

What breakdown cover ?

Post by turboscim » Thu May 02, 2019 3:47 pm

phone AA . I got the old price fixed for 2 yrs.

drcdb15

What breakdown cover ?

Post by drcdb15 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:58 pm

Alan SS1 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:30 pm

dunno if SWAMBO will let me try AutoAid, I'll report back after I've given them a call and asked about their 'loyalty' scheme :-)
So many of us grew up in the days of "either the AA or the RAC" that we are naturally suspicious of the modern, new-fangled offerings with strange names we've never heard before - especially so for folks who are not so much petrolheads as normal people who use a car for a function, like a washing machine. And more so when the 'new' prices are so radically different from what they are used to - "there must be catch...".

Well it helps I think to appreciate that the reason behind the new firms being so much cheaper than the AA/RAC is that they are different types of organisation, offering different products - much like the new courier firms such as Hermes, Collect Plus etc offer a different product to the good old tried and tested Post Office that we all grew up with.

AA/RAC are clubs, societies if you like, offering membership and whole host of services of which car rescue is just one. Much like the Post Office - sure it offers to deliver your parcel, but it also offers much, much more - foreign exhange, tax your car, stamps, airmail envelopes, you name it. Now that is all very well, but if all you want is to send a parcel why pay to subsidise all those other things that you never buy? Can you get airmail envelopes at Hermes? Stamps at Collect Plus? Tax your car with DHL, or get your pension? Of course not - but if you want to send a parcel, they're your firm. And because sending the parcel is ALL you are paying for, then the price is much lower than the Post Office is charging.

So too with AA/RAC - if you want all the other benefits of being in the club, like a magazine, and special offers on your next camping stove that's fine. But if ALL you want is your broken-down car collected, then Green Flag, AutoAid and so on can do it dramatically more cheaply, for the simple reason that they are not clubs or societies with members - they are insurance firms, offering a very simple policy: your car breaks down, we arrange for a garage to come and sort it. There are no magazines*, no 2-star hotel reviews, no members offers - just pure stripped to the bone get your car back.

Niether type of business model is 'wrong' or suspect, they are simply very different offerings, with consequently very different prices.

* GEM do actually produce a magazine, but there is no 'membership' as such. From what I've seen of it, it's essentially just a glossy marketing rag to induce you to buy more insurance cover - pets, caravan etc.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

What breakdown cover ?

Post by TrevorG » Thu May 02, 2019 7:05 pm

As I said previously...if in aa and price rises, ring, complain and say you are thinking of moving. If you want extras use these as bargaining power. For instance, I get free home start as one of the discounts i negotiated many years ago. Keep it in the club though....too many doing it may affect the rest of us!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

What breakdown cover ?

Post by philhoward » Thu May 02, 2019 8:37 pm

Like anything these days, if anyones renewal price is more than a few quid than I can get it cheaper elsewhere within 5 minutes, I walk. Sick of having to phone then to tell them they obviously didn’t give me their best price at all - they lied to me if they can magically make their best price better. Trust? Gone the same place my loyalty has.

Most players in the whole insurance market seem to have the same business model of see how much we can sting them for next year without them noticing.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Will Yarrow
RSSOC Member

What breakdown cover ?

Post by Will Yarrow » Thu May 02, 2019 9:04 pm

I found that with Aviva (AKA Norwich Union), Low price first year, double the next year, SAGA were 52p cheaper 2nd year, shame I scrapped the car. For recovery, I'd go with who ever your insurance gives you or green flag get good reviews, they all take 3/4 hour to turn up and tell you that you need to be lifted home, another hour wait, even though you told them that to begin with.

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”