More bad luck for my Scimitar

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Laters
RSSOC Member

Post by Laters » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:47 am

Over the few weeks the scimitar has been sat outside in the yard so I could get a few things done in garage before I put the scimitar in there and try and sort out the starting/running issues along with the gearbox leak.

The lock on the drivers door of the scimitar can be opened with anything that will fit into the key slot. The passenger side door handle needs changing as is broken and the lock on the passenger door wont move.

I went outside with the dog at about half eleven on Friday night to be greeted to the scimitar drivers door open. Upon trying to close the door its obvious they didn't try to pick the lock but have prised the top of the door bending the metal part of the frame.

Drivers door frame is back to more or less the proper shape but I need to find a new door frame as it doesn't look very nice.

Quite whey they had a go at both sides I am not sure. Maybe because the passenger door doesn't open too good from outside with the broken handle on the outside even when unlocked.

They had prised the top of the door frame on the passenger side as well as the drivers side except the passenger side door frame is quite rusty and when they bent it that was the last straw.
In the process of bending the door frames and prising they have managed to scrape and mark the gutters too.

I havent a clue what they were wanting from the car. There is no radio just wires. Glovebox was left open with nothing inside. Only thing in the car is a cone type airfilter & a few old spare parts that are still sat in the back of the car where they were.

I will be putting a wanted up at some point to try and souce the parts I need to fix the scimitar.

I can understand the current trend of people taking photos of older cars & putting them on the forums/social media but havent got aclue why anyone would want to break into a car that clearly had nothing worth stealing.
They had little chance of getting it going as the battery was in the garage on charge.

I remember bck in the 80's I fitted a set of deadlocks with the extra locks lower down on the car doors but thought those days were gone.

Paul

Previously owned:- 1969 se5, 1972 se5a.
Currently owned:- 1976 se6 automatic

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 am

Sometimes it's better to have a professional thief trying to get into your car rather than an opportunist idiot - less damage :(

probably a junkie looking for a satnav or similar to sell for cash.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Sorry to hear that :(

I tend to agree with Jim - probably not someone attracted by what they could see, but the vain hope that there might be something more valuable that they couldn't see.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:35 pm

You can get stainless steel door tops for about £250, I did mine quite a few years ago. Unfortunately I cant find a Phone number of the guy I got mine from.
Regards Terry H

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Terry H wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:35 pm
Unfortunately I cant find a Phone number of the guy I got mine from.
Regards Terry H
Would it be in the folder here by any chance?

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

scmarf
RSSOC Member

Post by scmarf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Sorry to hear that Paul. My SE6a is currently parked at the bottom of the garden temporarily - for the last 4 months. The back half is visible from passing foot traffic and it worries me.

Consolation: Someone broke in to our VP Metro many years ago and wrenched the steering wheel to break the steering lock before finding it had no battery and slightly less floor than when it left the factory. Thing is, he had been so prolific in the area that, despite it being valued at about £100, the police did their forensic thing and arrested someone for it because (presumably) they had the opportunity to clear up a lot of crimes in one go.

Rant: Yesterday when walking away from Church on a bright Sunday morning with all Lutterworth about it's business, a group of 4 young lads wandered down the middle of the road (!?) towards us. I was concerned that they were approaching a blind bend in a one-way street :!: . They wern't. They stared at all around then simultaneously ran to all the doors to ring the bells and knock the knockers and run off. These are I think the same group who annoyed me by using a pelican crossing and then pressing the button on the other side just to make the traffic stop again. Now I know this is not serious and has always happened but in my day (never thought I'd say that) there was some stealth about it. However, when my Son Ben was awoken by a group of youths throwing stones at his boat (where he lives) and he confronted them, they just said 'you can't do anything about it' and they were right.
Maybe increasing Police funding would be a start but if they don't have the power to do anything (as don't teachers or parents) I fear for the future of this country.

Honda Jazz
1977 SE6a, previously 1985 1300 SS1
Worlds longest coupe restoration
Chief mechanic for offspring's fleet (SE5a, Bond Equipe, Ford Focus)

Henry Royce: "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:02 pm

No Tom didn't have an invoice, The guy that I bought them off used make them and used to advertise in Slice, he always had a lot of spares for sale as well. I think he was in Rugby. Maybe someone else on here may recall seeing the ads.
Regards Terry H

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:11 pm

The man who made SS window frames has retired and the kit is now in the hands of a.n.other who has not yet made any - I wanted a pair but got nowhere when tying to find the source. Our MB was also broken into by a brainless idiot who left the chisel behind and managed to bust the glass at the same time - ours was one of 1/2 doz cars in he street done over

Laters
RSSOC Member

Post by Laters » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:10 pm

After speaking to the local pcso its looking like Jim & Roger are correct as there has been a spate of break-ins to sheds and cars on the estate where I live over the last few days.
The PSCO was telling me this morning that the list of things stolen range from tools, bikes and even frozen food.

I guess I was lucky as the scimitar can be fixed and I dont think they stole anything from me.
The damage is annoying as its more parts I need to add to the ever growing list.

Shame the SS frames cant be got anymore as they would have been a longer lasting solution.
Fingers crossed someone has a good s/h set that I can buy.

Paul

Previously owned:- 1969 se5, 1972 se5a.
Currently owned:- 1976 se6 automatic

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:18 pm

The guy who used to make them (but has now retired) was Eric Newton - there is a thread about it here

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

ard126k

Post by ard126k » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:43 pm

Eric Newton <ericnewton25@yahoo.com> had one or two left about a year ago.

1971 SE5 1977 SE6 1982 GTC

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”