breakdown Recovery AA vs RAC or who?

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Alan SS1 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:13 pm
that sounds really great but I'd I failed to convince SWAMBO . . . . ..

in our case went on line and got a price from Brittania (which was about £120) then on phone to the AA and they matched it (well they came close and I was going to agree and Mrs said 'no' tell them we need more discount :shock: )

and we did get the price down further, but not as far as £60!!!

, still think it's a terrible way to run a business but they rely on folk with 'auto-renewal' on Direct Debit?

so next year we'll see
Over the years I've been with the AA, Britannia, GEM, Start Rescue and now AutoAid. My father was with RAC for all his driving life, about 40 years. Apparently through Lancaster insurance I'm also with Axa Recovery (not sure about the name) but that's just for MB61, whilst AutoAid covers everyone and every thing. I've had excellent service from these firms on a number of occasions, from a blown head gasket in the Kitten in about 1980 to the latest event in the Webster last week. I never had occasion to call on Start, but Britannia in particular I needed about half a dozen times, not always for my own car, and it's fair to say that all of these firms delivered the goods - reasonable waiting times, courteous and professional service and well-equipped rescue trucks. The question is, if AutoAid can (and have!) deliver this for £43, and [Britannia] (for example) do exactly the same but charge (say) £120, what exactly am I getting from [Britannia] for that extra £77 ?

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

jag12
RSSOC Member

Post by jag12 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:57 am

If you drive a pickup or larger van it might be a problem

The vehicle / your vehicle – a saloon car, hatchback, estate car, car derived van or motorcycle over 150 cc's. Motorised caravans can be covered provided they are under 2.5 tons gross vehicle weight and with an engine capacity of no more than 2500 cc, which is being driven by either you, or your legal spouse or civil partner.

Or

*UK vehicles only. Private cars and motorcycles. Vans, pick-ups and motorised caravans will only be covered if they do not exceed 3.5tonnes gross vehicle weight. Excluded vehicles are minibuses, vehicles used as taxis for private or public hire or vans used for business use.

Depending on which part of the details you read
Last edited by jag12 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

GTC GOC383W. GTE 6a PFG814R. SSI 1600. B46SNX

jag12
RSSOC Member

Post by jag12 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:00 am

Mate is with Autonational but reading small print it states that it does not cover any vehicle being used for business or commercial purposes :w

GTC GOC383W. GTE 6a PFG814R. SSI 1600. B46SNX

Loxford
RSSOC Member

Post by Loxford » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:01 am

After decades with the RAC, I had a couple of very bad experiences with them.
Too much to go into in detail but the row I had with the pick up truck they sent was awful.They wait was 4 hours, the driver was obnoxious and the RAC did nothing to resolve the issue, instead they just offered me 3 months free membership, a meaningless gesture.
I have breakdown cover through my insurance which has proved effective and so much cheaper.
it's worth enquiring how much and what the terms are.
G

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:55 pm

All food for thought and gievn dcrb15 / Chris's recommendation of Auto Aid I shall be giving them a call.

AA renewal just dropped on the door mat. Now gone up to £310.36 for joint cover Silver membership :shock:

Philip Andrew.
'84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: Too many!

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:41 pm

reliant-reviver wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:55 pm
All food for thought and gievn dcrb15 / Chris's recommendation of Auto Aid I shall be giving them a call.

AA renewal just dropped on the door mat. Now gone up to £310.36 for joint cover Silver membership :shock:
that's double what AA tried to charge SWAMBO for joint GOLD, (excluding home start) :shock: :shock:

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:37 pm

These are pretty eye-watering amounts, it seems, but as I said earlier, trying to be objective, the questions to ask are: What do I get for all that extra money? Do I actually want or need it? And even if I do, is it a fair price or could I with a little effort get a much better deal elsewhere?

For example, one of the extras might be European travel insurance. That's fair enough. But do you actually travel to Europe? And if you *do* travel to Europe - do you go in the Scim? Does your travel agent provide insurance? Are you actually getting the appropriate travel cover for the sort of journeys you make?

I prefer to shop for what I want item by item. I find bundles of things rarely suit my specific needs. But that takes my time and effort to shop around. Others like the convenience of sorting out the whole lot in one go, it saves them time and effort - and that's something of value to them that they're prepared to pay for, even if they know they're not going to use *all* of the items in the bundle.

I wasn't familiar with the AA Gold Cover package, so I decided to do a bit of Googling, and came across this thread on Mumsnet (I only subscribe for the knitting patterns... :oops: )

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being ... its-a-scam

The OP was so shocked by her AA renewal she thought it must be a scam - but the ensuing conversation shows just how different we all are, and how very widely varying are our own personal motoring circumstances. The comment about a lady's children being carried in a relative's car that broke down illustrates the point. What matters intensely to me may not even be on the radar as far as you're concerned.

I'm not arguing for the cheapest no matter the consequences - it's each to his own. But I do advocate against complacency.

Chris

RonH
RSSOC Member

Post by RonH » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:06 am

Chris you are not only a Scimitar guiding star but a laugh a minute. :lol:
Keep them coming. Mumsnet indeed. :)
Ron

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:51 pm

drcdb15 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:37 pm

I'm not arguing for the cheapest no matter the consequences - it's each to his own. But I do advocate against complacency.
ditto :D

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:57 pm

Alas, I came to the conclusion that AutoAid weren't for me this year. Had a look through the terms and that all seemed fine, covered vans, covered old cars, no real exemptions I could see.
However a bit of googling of reviews and considering them objectively did leave me a little uneasy. Whilst I realise that for every one unhappy customer there are umpteen delighted ones who never post a positive review, there were some very damning accounts from customers.

The business model is essentially based around active recovery broking, which when it works, fine, but a few too many horror stories of people being left on busy roads stranded for hours. When I'm likely travelling with infant(s) in the car, or moreso, Mrs RR is, then we need the reassurance that all will be tickety boo and timely.

The AA when pressed did review my renewal price and brought it down by over half. Suppose I now need to make the most of my 20% member discount at associated eateries to make it pay in value the difference over Chris' super cheap policy!

Philip Andrew.

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:19 pm

reliant-reviver wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:57 pm
I realise that for every one unhappy customer there are umpteen delighted ones who never post a positive review, there were some very damning accounts from customers....[of] Chris' super cheap policy!
I am sure regular readers will appreciate that it's not "my" policy, it's AutoAid's.
As for accounts from customers, which 'customers' would influence you - Pistonheads, perhaps ? (https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1715704), or Honest John (https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post ... tm?t=81554) ? Got a partner with young children? Well I've already covered Mumsnet (and have you *seen* this month's recipes ... ??) :roll:

How about AutoExpress, which rated AutoAid 2nd of the top 5 in the UK last year (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/d ... ver-201718) ?

As I said earlier, everyone's circumstances and needs are different, so it's horses for courses. But the OP asked "AA or RAC or who?" - It's interesting that neither the AA nor the RAC feature in the AutoExpress top 5, so the answer to the OP's question must surely be "anyone EXCEPT the AA or RAC"!

Having said that, can I just qualify all this by making it clear, it is not my intention to criticise or disrespect anyone for their choice of AA/RAC, I know many of you *have* selected one of these established organisations. A good number of us, myself included, grew up in a motoring world where these fine (and they *are* fine) organisations were the only choice, but they had operational models that were of their time. I have fond memories of being driven by my aunt, 90 this week in fact, in the first brand new car in the whole family, her grey Morris Minor JMM 350, being saluted by the AA motorcycle patrolman, driving past the old yellow and black roadside phone box in Guildford, just along the A31 from the famous Fanum House... who can have that in their past and *not* feel some loyalty in and trust of the AA and RAC? But the harsh reality is that the world has moved on, new technologies are here and new business models allow new generations to do things very differently. I have no loyalty to AutoAid, any more than I had to GEM or Start or any of the others. Today it's just a straightforward utility purchase - they give me a good deal they get my business; they don't, I walk away. On this basis, I do actually have my daily driver insured with the AA this year, but paradoxically its recovery is with AutoAid. So by all means choose AA/RAC if that suits you. Perceived value comes in many forms, and the upfront policy premium is just one of many factors determining our choices. The quid pro quo is not to rubbish the new players in the industry either. Just because they are different doesn't make them bad or wrong, even if cognitive dissonance tries to.

Chris

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:20 pm

I had to google this " even if cognitive dissonance tries to " :wink:

and as oriinal post, I asked for opinions and I got a few, I'm willing to give these folks whirl, but SWAMBO might need more persuasion . . . . . :shock:

I've just got her around to accepting that you can book a 'package holiday' on expedia (ie flight plus hotel plus car hire, and it then becomes ATOL )

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:54 pm

I have gem. Fully comprehensive for 5 family members, in any car, not just their own, transported at the drop of a hat anywhere. 160 per year.

Owner of a fantastic se5a (nee 5 speed) that's a bit quick (well, feels like it is!!) and now running on lpg
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8036
And is now going sprinting viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24376

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:42 pm

I refereed to it as your policy Chris as I'm now fairly certain you are on commission :lol:

I looked at trust pilot - https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/autoaidbreakdown.co.uk
As I say, being objective you can ignore a lot of the whinging from people who didn't get a policy arranged or had it cancelled or such.
I'd love to give a good review but here we go.

I've needed autoaid 3 times now. The call center is fine, all friendly, but the way they operate means they rely on local recovery services to do their jobs.

3 times the ETA has been wrong, this last time over 3 hours late.

One could say this isn't autoaids fault, but the way their company is setup has been derived from some idea they had to operate this way.

Sadly, my time is worth more than this, and I'll be switching to RAC / AA when I renew.

I would consider how important your time is, and how urgent it is to get back. I travel alone - if you're a family stuck in a car for 4 hours I guarantee you'd feel worse.
I suppose for me it's the weighting of risk against cost and with the multi-source broker model you are somewhat at the hands of whomever is summoned from where-ever, which can be for the better on some occasions no doubt. I am fairly confident that the risk of poor service or incidence is low with the AA, and from experience* I have been satisfied so far. I do begrudge paying that much more, but swallow it as a cost for hopeful avoidance of the "what if" scenario.

The one thing I note from the auto express listing, all 5 top place providers have average call out times of over an hour. With the AA app I can whip my phone out and summon assistance with ease and surprising speed (less than 10 minutes on one occasion) and ultimate accuracy, which was rather handy stuck in Stanstead long stay coming back to a flat battery and watching the dot on the map homing in on our dot on the map.

I'm certainly not ruling out the alternative providers and business models for future years and it is certainly worth looking over the fence.

1. For a 200-mile recovery having sh*gged the Scimitar on track
2. For an immobilizer fault, which was then taken by arrangement the next morning from our driveway to a garage of our choice some distance away
3. For a misfire on the way to work for Mrs RR. The patrol came in her lunch hour, was unable to diagnose the fault and were happy to follow her 35 miles
4. Aforementioned flat battery after being on holiday.

Philip Andrew.

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:57 pm

reliant-reviver wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:42 pm
I refereed to it as your policy Chris as I'm now fairly certain you are on commission :lol:
Well I budget £150/year for recovery services, at AA rates. But if I get AutoAid at £45, that leaves me just over the ton for a few bevvies, my subs to RSSOC and MESS, and a bit left over for membership of Mumsnet, OK?

A tad more seriously, folks may find this article of interest. It's not to bash the AA, or to promote AutoAid (though they *are* mentioned favourably - again!! :lol: ) but rather to show the big corporate manoeuvres that go on outwith the public eye. The AA today is not the one we all grew up with:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/ ... n-recovery In particular this passage:

"Critics of the AA, including former patrolmen, say the organisation ­became too profit-focused after it was sold to private equity owners in 2004. This was followed by 3,500 job losses, including 500 patrol staff. A debt-heavy merger with Saga in 2007, at the height of the private equity bubble, netted a paper profit of £1.6bn, including around £40m for its then-chief executive, but has left the combined organisation burdened with billions in loans."

and more recently, it seems this situation is little changed: https://www.theguardian.com/business/ni ... ate-equity

This is from Wikipedia:

For-profit company

The association demutualised in July 1999 to become a private limited company, which was bought later the same year by Centrica (best known for its British Gas and Scottish Gas brands).[13]

Centrica sold the AA in July 2004 to two private equity firms, CVC and Permira, who in July 2007 merged the AA with Saga under Acromas Holdings.[14]

In July 2013, the company launched AA Cars, linking buyers of used cars with sellers. The service is a partnership with Vcars, rebranding its partner's existing online service and providing a check of the car's history.[15][16] At the time of rebranding over 110,000 cars were available for purchase via 2,000 registered dealers.[15]

The AA became listed on the London Stock Exchange as AA plc in June 2014, through an initial public offering in which Acromas sold all its shares.[17][18] In 2015, the AA acquired the garage booking service Motoriety.[19] In that year, the AA had around 3,000 patrol staff.[20]

Bob Mackenzie was Executive Chairman from June 2014, having led the buy out from Acromas, until August 2017 when he was removed for "gross misconduct".[21] He was replaced by Simon Breakwell[22] as Acting Chief Executive, and John Leach as Chairman.[23]

In July 2015, the AA added more than five hundred new Volkswagen Transporter vans to their patrol fleet.[24] More vans were ordered in February 2017.[25]

The organisation operated in Ireland from 1910.[26] The AA Ireland business was sold to Carlyle Cardinal Ireland Fund and Carlyle Global Financial Services Partners in June 2016.[27] The company stated that it had 3.3 million paying members in the first half of 2017.[21]

The only other point I'd make is, I don't doubt the veracity of your experiences as regards service received, but one or four or even a dozen events is not statistically significant. Events only gain this status at a level of 20 or more, so I suspect few of us individually are truly qualified to comment about a service in the round, only about our own individual events. So if one is really to be objective in assessing these things, a conclusion based on thousands of reports as opposed to perhaps half a dozen individual experiences is likely to give a far more accurate picture of what service to expect.

By the way, if I *were* to have a 'favourite' provider, it surely would be GEM, outside whose offices I park each month when I marshal at Riverview:
DSCN3547.JPG
DSCN3547.JPG (229.26 KiB) Viewed 159 times

Chris

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”